Author Topic: The Carrie: It's a Mango of Distinction  (Read 19576 times)

natsgarden123

The Carrie: It's a Mango of Distinction
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:13:15 PM »
I have no idea how old this article is although I did research Panzer Tractors and they were sold from the 50's until the early 70's- I found this tuckend in a book in our attic ( This home was built in 1972). I thought this was pretty cool. It also has some information about Julie.   I hope I'm not the only one who loves this old stuff

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: The Carrie: It's a Mango of Distinction
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »
I agree. I love the fruit and the tree; practically no anthracnose problems.
My only wish is, that the fruit had a little more pretty coloration to it.
I've been making plans to obtain some Carrie budwood, and graft it onto my Tommy Atkins, Fairchild or Lancetilla mango trees.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »
Keep posting the old stuffs. I like the history and and what people had to say back then. I have an old clipping of Johnny Carson selling homes in then newly developing Coral Springs. I'll see if I can find it

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:06:41 AM »
Cool!  :)
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:54:19 AM »
You can also date that article by doing a search on the person mentioned, Dr. George D. Ruehle. He wrote books and articles on agriculture, starting from late 40's to late 60's, including the books:The Florida Avocado Industry (1957), and Growing Bananas in Florida (1969).
Oscar

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:11:38 AM »
I too love reading the historical stuff :). Thanks for posting.

Oh, and .... Julie FTW :D .
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »
Glad these articles are appreciated-I have more- this lady saved everything

I too love reading the historical stuff :). Thanks for posting.

Oh, and .... Julie FTW :D .

Are you growing Julie? It has such a reputation for bad disease resistance. I think the fruit is really good.

There is a beautiful tree , very healthy looking, at Mounts Botanical Garden;

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »
I Love old articles and pictures...especially relating to Mango trees...Like Zands says keep posting them. We enjoy them.

Carrie, I'm NOT a big fan...but that's okay.  I know that I'm in the minority here  :D

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
Wow, that's awesome! What a find. The one problem, in my neck of the woods at least, is that the carrie is not a strong bearer. In Palm Beach County, where the soil is generally more ph-neutral,  it seems to bear more heavily.
Jeff  :-)

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:34:05 PM »
Keep the articles coming!  Great reading and close to my heart!

Jack

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 11:47:18 PM »
The 'Carrie' mango variety demystified:

It's a very peculiar thing, describing the taste of the 'Carrie' mango. And, I've noticed that description of this variety can vary greatly from one person to another. This flavor description phenomenon does not happen in any other mango variety, that I'm aware of. For the record, I love this mango variety so much, that I have two planted trees.

The Carrie mango is very popular in island countries like Jamaica in the Caribbean, reportedly, this is due to its 'spicy' undertone flavors.

I'd really like to give it a shot, to describe the 'Carrie' mango eating experience. For example, I never have forgotten the very first time that I tasted a 'Carrie.' I was in my early teens. With all due respect, I think the optimal age for tasting a 'Carrie' for the first time is somewhere around the teen years; everything tastes better, sounds better, looks better...

So, here goes, it looked like a good quality mango at first sight. I noticed the lack of splashy red coloration of other varieties immediately ('Haden'). Everything about the 'cutting with a sharp knife' experience is perfect. I was expecting the standard mango flavor. I put the very first bite ever in my mouth and - woaw - this is not the regular standard mango flavor, what's this? A tiny bit of the regular flavor then a bit more of the 'piney' flavor. Then, it was, woaw, the best colorful way to describe it that comes to mind: this is voodoo, witchcraft taste. In a fraction of a second I was like, what kind of a trip is this? I wasn't sure which way my brain was going to go - hate the flavor - like the flavor - love the flavor, all in a fraction of a second. It was like a flavor experience that hit and kicked me at the same time. Then, the next bite was reminiscent of the first one but with a definite different 'spicy' flavor, and I was like, 'what the heck!' And then came my final, definite reaction: I had made my mind up, this was not a regular tasting mango, this was definitely a witchcraft/voodoo flavored mango and I was hooked! This is definitely not a 'goody two shoes' taste, or 'Dorothy in la la land' taste... The flavor was synonymous with dangerous/scary activities like 'cave diving..,' It was a dangerous, adventurous taste. Right there and then I knew I was addicted. It was almost as if I valued this mango's taste to be one of the highest quality. The weird thing is that I started not being sure if I liked the taste at the first bite and wound up later after finishing the mango, completely and forever addicted to this variety.

In conclusion, this mango has one of those tastes that it is an acquired, addictive, taste. It's a taste that grabs you, possesses you. In hindsight, I realize that I was very fortunate. My first 'Carrie' mango was removed/picked from the tree with perfect timing, at the point/moment when there was a subtle but definite change in the coloration, that indicated that the mango was ready for the picking. Perhaps this correct timing of picking the mango off the tree is what's important in order to truly appreciate/experience the exquisite taste of the 'Carrie.' Perhaps incorrectly timing the picking of the 'Carrie' is what has not allowed some to appropriately evaluate this variety.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:00:34 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 12:47:14 AM »
Nice review!  8)
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 12:49:44 AM »
Carrie is popular in Jamaica and the Caribbean? ?  Where did you come up with that?
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 01:12:12 AM »
I love that old article! I can't wait to taste my first Carrie, probably in about three years. I wonder if the. Carrie has any similarities to Alphonso or Kesar? Both Alphonso and Kesar have a strong piney taste but I'm still not sure what the Spicy flavor is. Thanks for posting!
Simon

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 02:16:01 AM »

I had made my mind up, this was not a regular tasting mango, this was definitely a witchcraft/voodoo flavored mango and I was hooked! This is definitely not a 'goody two shoes' taste, or 'Dorothy in la la land taste... The flavor was synonymous with dangerous/scary activities like 'cave diving..,' It was a dangerous, adventurous taste.

JoeP450 has been dethroned as mango review king :)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 03:06:40 AM »
Thank you for sharing the interesting article.  I finally know the history on how the Sophie Fry (Frey) mango got its name.
Warren

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »

I had made my mind up, this was not a regular tasting mango, this was definitely a witchcraft/voodoo flavored mango and I was hooked! This is definitely not a 'goody two shoes' taste, or 'Dorothy in la la land taste... The flavor was synonymous with dangerous/scary activities like 'cave diving..,' It was a dangerous, adventurous taste.

JoeP450 has been dethroned as mango review king :)

Agreed, stellar review!  I also agree with his description of the Carrie. Been eating them lately for the first time and WOW are they amazing!  :-*

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 01:45:28 PM »
Voodoo/Witchcraft...WTF? 

Maybe that's why bsbullie hates Carrie, he's too pure of heart.

JC

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
Voodoo/Witchcraft...WTF? 

I hate Carrie purely for its taste, and possibly texture.  I try to be honest and sample some each season and my opinion doesnt change (so far this year, from what I have sampled, I give it 2 thumbs down).  I don't think people would want to see my review as it would not be so mellow dramatic as the one above and not so kind either.  Just review the fruit, don't compare it to some orgasmic experience...

The ONLY time I would see a Carrie as acceptable is in the use of making ice cream.  There would still be other varieties better but Carrie would be acceptable if a quality, properly picked fruit.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 02:25:34 PM »
Voodoo/Witchcraft...WTF? 

I hate Carrie purely for its taste, and possibly texture.  I try to be honest and sample some each season and my opinion doesnt change (so far this year, from what I have sampled, I give it 2 thumbs down).  I don't think people would want to see my review as it would not be so mellow dramatic as the one above and not so kind either.  Just review the fruit, don't compare it to some orgasmic experience...

The ONLY time I would see a Carrie as acceptable is in the use of making ice cream.  There would still be other varieties better but Carrie would be acceptable if a quality, properly picked fruit.

Carrie fruits very often have a turpentine/ pine aftertaste ... and it they are over-ripe, the fruits are really bad.  There doesnt seem to be an inbetween. I have had some delicious Carrie fruits off my tree but because of the above issues, I regret having planted it. I also have tried fruits from other people over the years and its been pretty much the same experience.  I hear people decribe Carrie as very rich tasting so maybe its my palate which senses the bitter notes. 

Just my opinion.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
I don't think people would want to see my review as it would not be so mellow dramatic as the one above and not so kind either.  Just review the fruit, don't compare it to some orgasmic experience...

I would rather read a plain review on just the fruit tastes (with a good picture of what the fruit should look like when ripe), then I would understand it.
I enjoyed the good entertaining read, but channeling up the departed spirit of Hunter S. Thompson to do a mango review just confuses me.......so is it an "acquired taste" or a "taste that grabs you"?

DM

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »
I don't think people would want to see my review as it would not be so mellow dramatic as the one above and not so kind either.  Just review the fruit, don't compare it to some orgasmic experience...

I would rather read a plain review on just the fruit tastes (with a good picture of what the fruit should look like when ripe), then I would understand it.
I enjoyed the good entertaining read, but channeling up the departed spirit of Hunter S. Thompson to do a mango review just confuses me.......so is it an "acquired taste" or a "taste that grabs you"?

DM

I would not say either.  It is a distinct taset to the flesh and a "piney"/resinous component near the skin that some, or many find off putting.  It is usually a love or hate relationship with the Carrie.  Duncan has a similar component which some describe as an unpleasant taste near the skin.

- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »
For the "American palate" (ie, anglos who've grown up eating apples and pears), the carrie has a tight window of awesomeness, and I'm quite convinced that a good portion of those who report that they dislike it have never tried a carrie in that stage.

The carrie goes from creamy (code word for chalky :-), with a great sweet and tart combo to sweet gelatinous sludge with funky odor and foul aftertaste very quickly. The novice mango eater will wait until the carrie is yellow before eating, but that is a mistake. One should consume the carrie at the very first sign of give. (This does not apply to islanders / latinos, as they often prefer to let it ripen to the point of extreme sweetness.)

Carrie also tend to have a better flavor and consistency (in my opin) if picked green and allowed to ripen indoors. I very rarely find a tree ripened carrie that I like.

It takes some trial and error to get the carrie at the right stage, it does have that strong piney flavor (which is stronger in some years than others), and the flavor can vary from year to year. But overall it's a great mango with many excellent qualities:

- Incredible flavor and texture when eaten at the right stage
 - Best mango for "processing" (smoothies, ice cream, etc)
 - Reliable bearer when mature
 - Disease resistant
Jeff  :-)

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 08:57:48 PM »
When its carrie time i peel the skin off the sliced mango, the piney issue is resolved. I also like tommy atkins when picked ripe.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
Had my first Carrie at Trees n More nursery last year.  Mike had one in the frig picked at just the right time and cut it up.  I was surprised at the powerful flavor.  Very deep rich flavor with a good balance of sweet and tart.  Planning to graft some Carrie budwood on to my big Cogshall this year.
This is a very special variety.   Could eat a dozen in one sitting.  And skip dinner. ;D
Dan