Author Topic: Is there another type or ssp of M. aureana ?  (Read 6050 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Is there another type or ssp of M. aureana ?
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:22:56 PM »
I was just online with a Brazilian collector , he mentioned that there may be 2 different types of Myrciaria aureana - the Jaboticaba branca , communication and translation was not so good but I did understand that he thinks there must be 2 types or at least variation , he calls his ' other one ' VERDE .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Is there another type or ssp of M. aureana ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 09:45:25 PM »
Luc,

there are many forms of M. aureana (I have at least 4)..and most likely there are several varieties of other species that are called "branca", but are not arueana...I have seen at least one so far...I don't know what species though.

so there are definitely several varieties and species of "white/branca" jabuticaba
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:07:06 AM »

Could it be we're talking about hybrid forms, involving M. aureana.

I got some seeds from Helton a few years ago and planted two seedlings in the same
 hole. The leaves are very similar, yet one produces red/black fruits and the other produces
 green fruits, very  much resembling the descriptions of M. aureana.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 06:12:04 AM »
I received 2 named varieties of aureana in a parcel from a Brazilian collector and unfortunately neither type germinated.One was called Lisa and the other was Branca I think.All others I received subsequently were just labelled areana.I have noticed that trunciflora,coronata and a couple of others seem to have quite a few named varieties.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:44:39 AM »

I got some seeds from Helton a few years ago and planted two seedlings in the same
 hole. The leaves are very similar, yet one produces red/black fruits and the other produces

The one that produces red/black fruits is not an aureana. Possible Helton mixed up some seeds.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:55:53 AM »
A friends tree produces almost hot pink fruit. Another friends tree, from the same original batch I nelieve, produces quite dark green skinned fruit. Seems to be some diversity.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »

Did you take picture Sergio ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 07:13:34 PM »
check out this one...I got from a fruit collector in PR.

the leaves of this Plinia aureana look much different than any of the others that I have (maybe 3-4 other varieties)

the tree was very hard to establish..I have seedlings the same age that are more than twice the size.

it took a while, but the trees finally grew out of their chlorosis, and started to get happy.

I still have to drench them with chelated Fe occasionally.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 08:05:24 AM »

The new growth remind me plinia sp. sapucaia
Daniel

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »

Daniel - I hadn't heard of this Plinia sp. sapucaia before - can you give any details of the fruit & where it occurs?  Sapucaia references I have always seen in the past were to paradise nut (Lecythis sp) but my understanding is that sapucaia refers to "hens" (chickens) in one of the local dialects so perhaps this is another fruit fed to hens by local peoples?

John

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 05:08:22 AM »
John - it is as I was said a probable hybrid of p. aureana x p. phitrantha, the fruit should be in top tasties jabos, very sweet.

You can check the FB https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1441313169471381&set=a.1441280299474668.1073741827.100007781359228&type=3

it have the name derivated from Lecythis sp. due to the new red foliage.
Daniel

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 10:28:46 AM »
Thanks, Daniel.  It sounds like a very interesting fruit.  The foliage shape certainly reminds me of paradise nut.  The species / variety of paradise nut I have (I believe it is L. zabucajo) does not have this reddish / pinkish color to new growth though (perhaps others do).

John

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »
Thanks, Daniel.  It sounds like a very interesting fruit.  The foliage shape certainly reminds me of paradise nut.  The species / variety of paradise nut I have (I believe it is L. zabucajo) does not have this reddish / pinkish color to new growth though (perhaps others do).

John

John , the paradise nuts I got from you are doing OK , not great but growing slowly . Not sure where to plant these ...do they like a lot of water ?

Luc
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »
Hi,

According to information from those who collected this variety of Jaboticaba sapucaia, Sapucaia name is given by the place of collection of the species, the city of Sapucaia in the State of Rio de Janeiro, and for having leaves similar to the Sapucaia most common of the State of Rio de Janeiro Lecythis Pisonis.

I have Jaboticaba Sapucaia in production, and the fruit is sweet and with very small seeds, very red bud, a beautiful tree.

Believed it was a Plinia Phitranta type

John - it is as I was said a probable hybrid of p. aureana x p. phitrantha, the fruit should be in top tasties jabos, very sweet.

You can check the FB https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1441313169471381&set=a.1441280299474668.1073741827.100007781359228&type=3

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 07:57:27 PM »

John , the paradise nuts I got from you are doing OK , not great but growing slowly . Not sure where to plant these ...do they like a lot of water ?

Luc

Mine are still relatively young & are also growing slowly.  Everything I find on them says they like well drained soil.  However, I have seen better growth rates (& happier appearing trees) on those I have planted in a lower area that stays moister (not water logged but does not tend to dry out as much as the higher areas).  So, I would say that they would appreciate a spot that stays a bit moist.

John

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 05:30:26 AM »
Alexandre, it is I as you said so the place of origin give the name, but the coloration is in game as well:)
And really not sure if it is just variety of phitranha or hybrid, I was only said that it could be or possibly it is a hybrid of p. phitrantha and p. aureana.

Hi,

According to information from those who collected this variety of Jaboticaba sapucaia, Sapucaia name is given by the place of collection of the species, the city of Sapucaia in the State of Rio de Janeiro, and for having leaves similar to the Sapucaia most common of the State of Rio de Janeiro Lecythis Pisonis.

I have Jaboticaba Sapucaia in production, and the fruit is sweet and with very small seeds, very red bud, a beautiful tree.

Believed it was a Plinia Phitranta type

Daniel

Indra

• WA,zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 03:24:01 AM »

Hey FlyingFox what did the fruit on this tree turn out looking like ?? We need an update.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk