Author Topic: 10-30 Ruby Supreme Guava.  (Read 22954 times)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
10-30 Ruby Supreme Guava.
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
I've been reading-up on guava cultivars and I found one that was supposedly sweet with no or very little tartness and most importantly "worm proof". My mom loves guava and so do I.  But what kept me from growing one was the fact that they tend to get worms due to the Caribbean fruit fly.  From what I've read, the 10-30 ruby supreme guava has a thicker skin, which prohibits the fruit fly from penetrating it and laying it's eggs, which turns into larvae (worms).

I would appreciate if anybody can express their personal experience with this type of guava. I would like to get more opinions on this fruit.

Thank you.
Alexi

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: 10-30 Ruby Supreme Guava.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »
Ditto for me.  I need to know if I should plant one, or not?  I love that beverage the Mexicans make with guava--"agua fresca."
John

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
Here some pruning videos for Guava trees. This particular one is the Ruby Supreme.

How to Prune a Guava Tree Pt. 2

How to Prune a Guava Tree Pt. 2 Followup
Alexi

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
Thanks Tropicalgrower

that's a great video! I have the Ruby X and they are very nice mild guavas. You might want to try Mexican Cream I would rank this as the #1 guava of the 9 guava trees I have.

JF

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
And what can one trade for some guava seed?  I have 10 types and am always looking for more.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
Alexi......beware of the "worm proof" label.  In Florida, at least, the only worm proof guava that I have seen are those that are bagged.  Those that mature in winter can be wormless, but that is a function of the timing of the year, rather than the cultivar actually being worm proof.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
Alexi......beware of the "worm proof" label.  In Florida, at least, the only worm proof guava that I have seen are those that are bagged.  Those that mature in winter can be wormless, but that is a function of the timing of the year, rather than the cultivar actually being worm proof.

Harry

Thanks for the warning Harry. I forgot to mention that I already bought a 10-30 ruby supreme guava tree from Jeff last month. I'm going to bag some of the fruits anyways just to be safe.
Alexi

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »
first off i have an open mind and definately realize that some people like a certain fruit or variety of........that being said i had a guava a couple of years back and the fruit had a really bad aroma (oder)????? i dug it up and was done with it. do these new cultivators have that same attribute? is that quava and its just not for me?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »
first off i have an open mind and definately realize that some people like a certain fruit or variety of........that being said i had a guava a couple of years back and the fruit had a really bad aroma (oder)????? i dug it up and was done with it. do these new cultivators have that same attribute? is that quava and its just not for me?

I really think it depends on the guava. I like guava in general but I've had some that were not good. Keep on trying until you find one you like because there are good ones. The ones with the white insides that are meant to be eaten green are pretty good.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:04 PM »

I really think it depends on the guava. I like guava in general but I've had some that were not good. Keep on trying until you find one you like because there are good ones. The ones with the white insides that are meant to be eaten green are pretty good.

here are some good size Asian guavas, next to booth cherimoyas, you might like. you eat these green and they have very little seeds. I juice these I don't like the crunchy guavas.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:39:55 AM »

In my experience, guavas that are ripe have all had similar fragrances/odors.  Some stronger than others.  If you like them green and crunchy, as some people do, you won't have to deal with this issue as the smell develops when the fruit is ripe. Some people think the smell is wonderfully tropical....others, like my wife, think there is a close similarity to the smell of cat urine.  I am not in the cat urine camp but I do not really care for the smell of them.  Flavorwise, I love ripened guava prepared products, like preserves, paste, etc.  As far as the eating of the fruit out of hand, between fruit fly larvae, seeds that are like rocks, and unpleasant aroma, these trees have all been replaced in my yard.  There was once, an Indonesian White Seedless Guava that I  thought was worthy of growing (originally purchased from Hopkins), but it got uprooted in the hurricane. I have tried growing the large white fleshed Thai varieities that are eaten crunchy. First, they are ridiculously subject to fruit fly attack.  Second, while crunchy and resaonably decent tasting....I would take a Granny Smith Apple (and I am not a huge fan of this apple as apples go...for the record)  over one of these any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »
ok i am now sold.....on the fact that i am not a fan of quava......i do like quava products though very much

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
Alexi, if that is the Ruby Supreme from Lara Farms, then yes it is suppose to be fruit-fly resistant.  According to them it could get some fruit-fly larvae inside but it would be minimal.  The only thing is that the taste is not out of this world.  But at least you would have a guava without the fruit fly larvae. From my tree, I have not seen any larvae inside the fruit. 

Guava Fact #1:  If you eat the guava with the fruit fly larvae, nothing is going to happen to you.  Just eat it and dont worry about it.  :o

Guava Fact #2:  If you eat any guava bi-products (guava paste, pastries, guava shells) you are eating the fruit fly larvae and just dont know it.   ;D

Adiel
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:56:19 PM by adiel »
Adiel

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:03:34 PM »
I have nothing against eating larvae in prepared foods......just a bit of added protein.  Its not wasp larvae that you're dealing with.  Maybe the guavas they have are wasp larvae resistant.  Its fruit fly larvae that is the problem.  And when you have fruit that is destroyed, turning brown and rotten and/or you open the fruit to see a writhing mass of maggots that I get a bit sqeemish.  With all due repsect to the folks at Lara and to you Adiel......I stand by my statement.  Again, if the fruit is maturing in the winter you may see little or no infestation.  I would be most pleased to be wrong on this, but I invite anyone that can show me a fruit that matures dring the summer that is consistantly larvae free without bagging. I'd be much happier to eat my words than one of those infested guavas.

harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
Alexi, if that is the Ruby Supreme from Lara Farms, then yes it is suppose to be wasp-resistant.  According to them it could get some wasp larvae inside but it would be minimal.  The only thing is that the taste is not out of this world.  But at least you would have a guava without the wasp larvae. From my tree, I have not seen any larvae inside the fruit. 

Guava Fact #1:  If you eat the guava with the wasp larvae, nothing is going to happen to you.  Just eat it and dont worry about it.  :o

Guava Fact #2:  If you eat any guava bi-products (guava paste, pastries, guava shells) you are eating the wasp larvae and just dont know it.   ;D

Adiel

Extra protein..  ;D
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 11:43:53 PM »
Yep, the one from Lara Farms is the 10-30. I've eaten 10-30 fruit from the ground with no larvae. That's not to say that it will never get infected, but the ones I had (from Homestead) were free of larvae. Supposedly there is something in the rind that makes it less attractive to the fruit flies. My R x S 10-30 tree is still too small to fruit, so well see how well it wards off the fruit flies in a year or so.

Alexi, if that is the Ruby Supreme from Lara Farms, then yes it is suppose to be wasp-resistant.  According to them it could get some wasp larvae inside but it would be minimal.  The only thing is that the taste is not out of this world.  But at least you would have a guava without the wasp larvae. From my tree, I have not seen any larvae inside the fruit. 

Guava Fact #1:  If you eat the guava with the wasp larvae, nothing is going to happen to you.  Just eat it and dont worry about it.  :o

Guava Fact #2:  If you eat any guava bi-products (guava paste, pastries, guava shells) you are eating the wasp larvae and just dont know it.   ;D

Adiel
Jeff  :-)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »
Yep, the one from Lara Farms is the 10-30. I've eaten 10-30 fruit from the ground with no larvae. That's not to say that it will never get infected, but the ones I had (from Homestead) were free of larvae. Supposedly there is something in the rind that makes it less attractive to the fruit flies. My R x S 10-30 tree is still too small to fruit, so well see how well it wards off the fruit flies in a year or so.

Adiel

Julian mentioned that it has to do with the sap itself that repels the fruit fly.
Alexi

Camillo Alexis

• Pomegrove tropicals
  • Eat what you grow and grow what you eat
    • Granada St. Georges (West Indies)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU5bkcCvm-vFbvWG_LwIbmg
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
Where Can I find  Ruby Supreme Guava seeds to buy?
Eat what you grow and grow what you eat

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 08:19:05 AM »
I  bought my RS from PIN.  Not from seed tho.

I don't think guavas are true to type, you would need air-layered or grafted, I think.

Please correct if I am wrong.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 01:15:22 PM »
I  bought my RS from PIN.  Not from seed tho.

I don't think guavas are true to type, you would need air-layered or grafted, I think.

Please correct if I am wrong.

Yes they are....root cuttings also work.

jnb

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
You are supposed to eat guavas at night with the lights off!!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »
Mine just died back for no reason. :(
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »
Well, before it kept on dying back, I took it out of the ground a couple of months back and planted it in a 25 gallon fabric pot with miracle gro soil. I notice that the main roots were entangled and in a spiral fashion. I ripped off the dead roots and snapped off one of the entangled roots. I've been keeping the soil moist do the roots that are left don't dry up. The top half of the guava trunk  has dried up. But, I checked it today and I've noticed that there are green knobs popping out from the bottom half of the trunk. Looks like it's recovering. :)
Alexi

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »
It seems like it's pretty hard to kill a guava tree.  I had a Ruby Supreme planted in a too shady spot, and by the end of winter it was covered with sooty mold with no green leaves left.  I cut it back to 12 inches of trunk, pulled it out of the ground with just a few roots, and stuck in a 7-gal. pot.  In no time it was covered with little leafy sprouts.  I trimmed them all off except for three, which have grown into little branches.  Now I'll probably make cuttings with those and start 3 new trees. :)
John

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 12:38:24 AM »
It seems like it's pretty hard to kill a guava tree.  I had a Ruby Supreme planted in a too shady spot, and by the end of winter it was covered with sooty mold with no green leaves left.  I cut it back to 12 inches of trunk, pulled it out of the ground with just a few roots, and stuck in a 7-gal. pot.  In no time it was covered with little leafy sprouts.  I trimmed them all off except for three, which have grown into little branches.  Now I'll probably make cuttings with those and start 3 new trees. :)

Cool. :) Looks like it hates sooty mold. Mine had sooty mold too.
Alexi