Author Topic: Is it normal for some sapodilla to ripen on tree?  (Read 2039 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Is it normal for some sapodilla to ripen on tree?
« on: June 03, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »
I was dropping my daughter of at a church for gymnastics class and decided to take a walk around the property and found some old fruit trees in the back portion of the area. I saw a sapodilla tree amongst others and started checking around for some drops. I noticed one hanging low on the tree and when I checked it it was soft and perfectly ripe. I snatched it off and tried it. It was just as about as good as any other sap I've had. But I thought saps don't ripen until picked. The fruit didn't look damaged in any way and was connected to the stem. Is this normal for sap?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Is it normal for some sapodilla to ripen on tree?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:57:03 PM »
I was dropping my daughter of at a church for gymnastics class and decided to take a walk around the property and found some old fruit trees in the back portion of the area. I saw a sapodilla tree amongst others and started checking around for some drops. I noticed one hanging low on the tree and when I checked it it was soft and perfectly ripe. I snatched it off and tried it. It was just as about as good as any other sap I've had. But I thought saps don't ripen until picked. The fruit didn't look damaged in any way and was connected to the stem. Is this normal for sap?

Yes, can happen though they usually are fast to fall or eaten by critters.  By the way, YOU may have located the RAREST sapodilla, outdoing other "rare" sapodilla trees...
- Rob

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »

Yes, can happen though they usually are fast to fall or eaten by critters.  By the way, YOU may have located the RAREST sapodilla, outdoing other "rare" sapodilla trees...
Yes and it's only available through me..seeds are $20 each scions are $100 ::)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
if it's truly unique, then don't sell yourself short.  Patent it as "rarest" sapodilla, and hold out for the big bucks.  Can't help but replay the scene from Coming To America:  first it's mopping floors, next year the fries, and then on to management.  That's when the big bucks start rolling in! ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »
seems like in theory, all seedlings that haven't yet been propagated for others are equally rare.  There is not another like them.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
seems like in theory, all seedlings that haven't yet been propagated for others are equally rare.  There is not another like them.

Who knows??
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk