Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283590 times)

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #325 on: July 14, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »
Keow Savoy- Thai Green Eating Mango

This was my first time trying a green mango. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste and texture. It was crisp and chewy.  The first thing I tasted was a mild creamy sweetness, then a very faint hint of subacid (but no distinct "sour"), and finally a addictive turpentin-ey resin twang that said "Yum...Mango!:) Although the flesh is somewhat similar to a green apple, green papaya or white guava, the Keow Savoy's taste and texture are much more appealing to me.

I tried eating some slices dipped in salt, and it was delicious. Then I tried salt  + chili powder = also delicious, but a bit overpowering of the natural flavor. Then I tried plain Keow savoy under the influence of Miracle Fruit and the taste was quite a bit sweeter, but did not enhancing the flavor for me.

The first day I got it it was "too green" and not so delicious. The second day it was perfect: Crisp, chewy and delicious.  The third day it became just a little bit too sweet & soft for what it was. So there is a 'window of ripeness' with this mango, just like normal ripe mangoes.

As a fruit lover who is somewhat conservative about eating too much fructose /  sugar, I found that it was pretty much the perfect healthy snack. I had no guilt about eating it with breakfast, etc.  I ran back to the store to pick up some more and was sad to hear them say the season is dropping off. 

Source: Fortune Cookie Oriental Market, West Palm Beach, FL. The owner, David, is an avid tropical fruit grower. His store sells seasonal tropical fruits like jaks, red sugar apples, wax jambu, logans, Thai mangoes from his yard... some imported, and some from local Asian farmers in the community (try their Thai bananas). 

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 14, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
Devoured my first Seacrest, which was supplied by Rob over the weekend. No pictures, but nicely ripened to a full yellow color. Very Citrusy undertones with the flavor, somewhat more understated than lemon zest. Gotta say, I'm digging the citrusy mangoes that I have tried this year. Very pleasing flavor. Super juicy and delicious.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 14, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »
Ahhhh Bret this makes me want to eat a green okrung like right now!

-joep450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 14, 2014, 11:12:45 PM »
Here is a Fruit Punch mango from Walter Zill's

I was told the parentage of this mango is the kent, and I asked Walter if this is also a late producer like the kent and he said no. The fruit punch pictured is the only one I have eaten and I'm definitely looking forward for more, as it is a delicious mango.

This mango is a large mango weighing in at 1.8lbs and was 5.25 in long. The color is very pretty in my opinion with red, pink, yellow, orange and green visible with some white dots mixed in. There was not much smell to the outside of the mango. When I cut the mango open, lots of thin juice was present with a bright orange yellow flesh. The seed was large but there was plenty of flesh to eat. The flesh was non fibrous and very juicy, it was not creamy. This mango tasted very sweet, when I finished eating this mango I thought to myself that I need to buy a refractometer to start measuring the brix on these reviews, and that way I could see if my taste buds are crazy or if certain mangos are measurably sweeter than others. The flavor was interesting, sweet, fruit punch-like, but IMO nothing resembling the Kent's I have eaten, I think it has some resemblance to an in your face baileys marvel or truly tropical best mango, with some notes of peach. Overall a great tasting mango.

-joep450

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #329 on: July 14, 2014, 11:35:51 PM »
I believe Fruit Punch is a Zill-80 seedling.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 14, 2014, 11:42:08 PM »
I believe Fruit Punch is a Zill-80 seedling.

Correct...and Zill 80 is a seedling from Kent.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 14, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
Most people do not ever enjoy the best taste of a Kent.  If the Kent is left on the tree to where the shoulders achieve a bright red coloration and the bottom tip yellowing, the taste is fantastic.   The true potential of its sweet flavor is lost when the Kent is picked green and left to ripen off the tree to the best it can.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 14, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »
Joe - the Fruit Punch does have a nice aroma when just picked as long as its picked with its bright coloration and yellowing tip.  Its not a strong aroma but it has c a definite smell.  When it gets a little past its peak ripness it begins to lose thecaroma.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »
Most people do not ever enjoy the best taste of a Kent.  If the Kent is left on the tree to where the shoulders achieve a bright red coloration and the bottom tip yellowing, the taste is fantastic.   The true potential of its sweet flavor is lost when the Kent is picked green and left to ripen off the tree to the best it can.

Thanks very useful for me w my Kent tree. Kent has many tastes coming from it when it is ripe to past ripe. Plus it semi-late coming in after the peak of mango season. This year it looks like it has 30 more days before I get ripe fruit from it. IIRC it was a bit earlier last year.

It is a flavor bomb and gets as big as a bomb but not as large as Keitt

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 15, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »

Rob, is it a Top-Five mango, a Top-Ten, or neither?  In your opinion, of course.
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 15, 2014, 08:26:32 AM »
Rob, is it a Top-Five mango, a Top-Ten, or neither?  In your opinion, of course.
Kent is Top five due to when it comes in, after the mid July South Florida mango glut, mango peak. So it will not beat prime July mangoes, and the new Zill mangoes, but those are eaten and gone when Kent rolls in

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 15, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
Devoured my first Seacrest, which was supplied by Rob over the weekend. No pictures, but nicely ripened to a full yellow color. Very Citrusy undertones with the flavor, somewhat more understated than lemon zest. Gotta say, I'm digging the citrusy mangoes that I have tried this year. Very pleasing flavor. Super juicy and delicious.

A couple pictures of Seacrest, which I too enjoyed very much.

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 15, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »
I got to taste a Zill mango known as Kathy; it also has a number, maybe 36-24-36?   ;D

I don't have an in-depth review, will say it was very tasty, with some of the "zing" that I enjoy in Sweet Tart mangos.

I don't always eat tart mangos, but when I do I prefer Kathy.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 15, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »

A couple pictures of Seacrest, which I too enjoyed very much.

This is one of my favorites for the year so far...my kids really enjoyed this too...I think it's a top tier mango

natsgarden123

« Reply #339 on: July 15, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »
Seacrest...I can guess where that name came from......

Kathy is named after a very nice lady as well..

I dont think anyone mentioned Mulgoba in this thread. It was delicious- bought some at Truly Tropical.

Dupuis Saigon was outstanding as well.... so sweet and smooth. I cant wiat until my tree starts producing.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 15, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »
Lol dan, insert dos Equis guy meme saying "I don't always eat tart mangos, but when I do..."

-joep450

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 15, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »

Done.  :D
Alexi

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
Yes lol

-joep450

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 15, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »
Yes, well done, Alexi!

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 15, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »
Another really good one this year:

'Guava'...I believe Walter said he got this from a gentleman in West Palm beach and the original tree was being cut down so Walter got some budwood to preserve it

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 15, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 15, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »

'Guava'...I believe Walter said he got this from a gentleman in West Palm beach and the original tree was being cut down so Walter got some budwood to preserve it

I wonder if it has a strong guava flavor since it was given that name.  8)
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 15, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »

Yes, that is correct on its origin.  Beyond that, its actual origian/parentage is anybody's guess. 

Alexi - when ripe it does have a guava aroma and at a certain stage of rioeness, the flesh tends to have a guava aroma and a slight guava flavor.  When it gets fully ripe it tends to lose that guava flavor but is still an excellent, complex mango.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 15, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
Kent is Top five due to when it comes in, after the mid July South Florida mango glut, mango peak. So it will not beat prime July mangoes, and the new Zill mangoes, but those are eaten and gone when Kent rolls in

Thanks, zands.  Rob, what do you think?
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 15, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »

Seacrest is definitely a top tier mango, up there with the best. Of the ones I tasted this year, I most enjoyed the Seacrest, Coconut Cream, Val Carrie and the Guava mango. Another variety that made it to the "best of" list for me was the Peach mango. It is small but incredibly delicious.