Author Topic: Looking for large fruited Chilean Guava  (Read 4023 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Looking for large fruited Chilean Guava
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:25:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

I grew the Chilean Guava several years ago and the fruit are absolutely Fantastic. I mean, this fruit tastes like an explosion of unique, sweet cotton candy flavor. The scientific name is Ugni Molinae and it is branded as Tazziberry in Australia.  I have since killed my plant and would like to replace it with a large fruiting variety. Does anyone know where I can find selected varieties of Chilean Guava that was selected for large fruit size or better eating qualities?  Thanks in advance!
Simon

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for large fruited Chilean Guava
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »
I'd be interested if hearing if you manage to find an improved variety, Simon.  I also managed to kill mine, unfortunately, before it could even fruit.
James

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

I grew the Chilean Guava several years ago and the fruit are absolutely Fantastic. I mean, this fruit tastes like an explosion of unique, sweet cotton candy flavor. The scientific name is Ugni Molinae and it is branded as Tazziberry in Australia.  I have since killed my plant and would like to replace it with a large fruiting variety. Does anyone know where I can find selected varieties of Chilean Guava that was selected for large fruit size or better eating qualities?  Thanks in advance!
Simon

I had these in Melbourne but they were tiny. About half the size of a grape.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »
I found a website a while back that said they had a large fruiting vsriety but they were sold out at the time and I can't find them. I got my previous plant online at Bayflora nursery and it grew very fast and fruited the following year. The berries tasted exceptional but they were very small in size, about the size of a small blueberry. I can only imagine how good it would taste if one were to make a muffin or throw some into a smoothie. There is a variegated variety of Ugni Molinae that I have seen online. These fruit are super tasty and I really would like to find some varieties that were specially selected.
Simon

emegar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
Simon,

Did you grow yours in a container?  Mine was from Bayflora as well.  It grew well in a pot, but I made the mistake of planting it in the ground and it was dead soon thereafter. Not sure if it just resented the spot I chose or our high pH soil.
James

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:41:56 PM »
I had one from Bay Flora as well, it kicked the bucket in a heat wave however. I found the seedling I got from Sacred Succulents to be a lot healthier and seemed to bounce back better, it was much different growth form so far no fruits yet.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »
I have  plant in a container that grows very nicely and handles occasional drying out  :-[.  I repotted it a couple years ago and noticed some blooms but haven't seen any since.  It is not a cv. so I imagine it has standard sized fruits.  I had some on the list last year, I'll have to start some more plants. ;D

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 01:15:39 AM »
The one I had grew extremely fast, flowered and fruited inside a pot. It did so well that I decided to plant it into the ground. It was doing ok for a while in full sun and then parts of it started dying once it got really hot. It finally died shortly after a heatwave. I believe these plants will do better in a pot because it can easily be moved during a hot spell.
Simon

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 04:58:17 AM »
I've heard from southern folk that U montana has larger fruit. So maybe a hybrid between the two would make it better?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »
My guava is potted and is the first tree to show water stress.

emegar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
Simon.  My experience was the same as what you describe.  I'm definitely thinking next time I'll plant them like blueberries, in large tubs with an acidic potting mix.
James

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
I've heard from southern folk that U montana has larger fruit. So maybe a hybrid between the two would make it better?

Thanks for the information BMc! Hopefully someone has already attempted this cross and are selling the plants. People should seriously start breeding programs to improve this fruit. If they can create a larger, juicier variety with softer seeds, they can make a fortune. The flavor is very unique and tasty in the best possible way!
Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk