Author Topic: Ocamponis x coniflorus dragonfruit  (Read 2275 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Ocamponis x coniflorus dragonfruit
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:25:16 AM »
I received a cutting of this from Ethan Moses a few years back and I was wondering if anyone else, or Ethan, has any information on this variety. Mine is fruiting for the first time this year and would like to compare pics/info. All I know at the moment is that it’s a prickly little sucker. Will add a pic of young fruit tomorrow.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:53:23 AM by Rannman »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Ocamponis x coniflorus dragonfruit
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 03:56:29 AM »
Added a couple of pics of juvenile fruit. Not sure if these fruit look different to coniflorus fruit, but certainly different to  Ocamponis. Does anyone know what coniflorus fruit tastes like?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:03:32 AM by Rannman »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
Interesting.

Several hobbyist are growing Ocamponis varieties in the U.S.

I have a couple. I like the fruit.... but don't like that they are thorny devils!

I m not familiar with Coniflorus.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:48:00 PM by ricshaw »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »
I’m a bit confused by the coniflorus side of things as well. Most info I find refers to selenicereus grandiflorus which has similar growth to my plant. Looking forward to seeing the fruit ripen so I can check flesh colour and flavour.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 03:16:49 PM »
Mattslandscape.com says;
 Species-SELENICEREUS CONIFLORUS- Has a Large nocturnal (night blooming) Flower in white with gold back petals. The growth is rope like and the bloom and growth only differs slightly from The following varieties, which should all probably be reduced to varieties or synonyms of S. grandiflorus, as their stems and flowers differ only slightly: S. urbanianus, S. coniflorus, S. hondurensis, S. pteranthus, S. kunthianus, S. brevispinus, S. boeckmannii, S. macdonaldii, S. rothii. SELENICEREUS CONIFLORUS-Has stem growth more cylintrical and is not as thick as S.Grandiflorus but otherwise is very simular. Requires the same growing culture as Hybrid Epiphyllums, a few hours of direct sunlight required to bloom well. Blooms from late July to September in Southern California,U.S.A. climate-coastal region. This variety was first discovered/published in Mexico-1904. THE PLANTS OR CUTTINGS OFFERED HERE WERE GARDEN CULTIVATED AND WERE NOT REMOVED FROM THERE NATIVE HABITAT.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »
Great job Rannman, can't wait to see the finished fruit! The only info I can offer beyond Ricshaw is I believe my original cuttings came from Don's Epiphyllum World.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 03:48:42 AM »
Great job Rannman, can't wait to see the finished fruit! The only info I can offer beyond Ricshaw is I believe my original cuttings came from Don's Epiphyllum World.
Hi Ethan. This is the second time it has flowered. Once last year and once so far this year. I am very keen to see what the fruit are like. Has yours never fruited? It’s not a fast grower and doesn’t put out a lot of growth at all. Stems are 4 sided and mostly red in colour.

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »
Unfortunately mine has not bloomed yet, my plants have been neglected but are getting g better care now. Come spring, I'm putting more effort into my epiphytes.

Thanks for leading the way!

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 03:08:11 AM »

Ethan, the time has arrived. This was just starting to split but not enough to see the flesh colour. It’s in the fridge chilling out for a bit before I slice into it a bit later. Hope it’s as tasty as it is spikey! More pics later.
Happy New Year from Oz, 🎉🍻🎉🍺🍻🎉🎉🥂🍻🍺🎉🍻🥂🍻🎉🎉🍻🥂

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 03:36:55 AM »
Yikes, looks dangerously delicious, can't wait for the update! Thanks Rannman, best of luck in the New Year!

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 04:50:48 AM »

Well, here it is, in all it’s prickly glory! Very nice colour, with a firm flesh that is noticeably different in texture to most Dragonfruit I have eaten. Flavour is quite nice but not what I would call great. It has a flavour similar to rose water 🤔🤔, which could appeal to people. The only real downside is the spine. They don’t brush off like megalanthus varieties so it’s ‘Handle with care’.
Overall, a nice tasting piece of fruit with little commercial value due to the spines. Good collectors specimen, having nice flowers as well.