Author Topic: Will seeds germinate in sand?  (Read 1842 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Will seeds germinate in sand?
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:27:51 AM »
I've been trying to germinate Passiflora seeds with little to no results. I tried gelatin, and it went all watery at room temp. Seeds just seed there and if I'm impatient, I want to dig them up. With sand, I can at least see them against the sand. Would sand work? What kind of sand? Should I add anything to it?
Anisha

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Will seeds germinate in sand?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 01:38:34 AM »
Where did you get the seeds from?  I find that there's a big difference in germination rates with fresh seeds.  With fresh seeds I usually see germination within 2-3 weeks on a heat mat and a high germination rate, and it doesn't matter too much what you start them in.  (I usually use a mix of peat and perlite.)  With seeds that have dried out, I get a very low germination rate, probably below 10%.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 02:04:14 AM »
Where did you get the seeds from?  I find that there's a big difference in germination rates with fresh seeds.  With fresh seeds I usually see germination within 2-3 weeks on a heat mat and a high germination rate, and it doesn't matter too much what you start them in.  (I usually use a mix of peat and perlite.)  With seeds that have dried out, I get a very low germination rate, probably below 10%.
I get them from eBay and tradewinds. Not sure where/who else to get them. I already have giant granadilla, p. edulis, and banana passion fruit growing well. I've failed to grow P. maliformis and actinia. Currently attempting to germinate P. alata and laurifolia.
Anisha

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:18:29 AM »
I get them from eBay and tradewinds. Not sure where/who else to get them. I already have giant granadilla, p. edulis, and banana passion fruit growing well. I've failed to grow P. maliformis and actinia. Currently attempting to germinate P. alata and laurifolia.

I'd recommend getting them from from folks on the forum, like Oscar (fruitlovers).  I've never gotten passiflora from tradewinds to germinate.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »
I've been trying to germinate Passiflora seeds with little to no results. I tried gelatin, and it went all watery at room temp. Seeds just seed there and if I'm impatient, I want to dig them up. With sand, I can at least see them against the sand. Would sand work? What kind of sand? Should I add anything to it?
Like Barath said, flesh is best on passiflora seeds or if you soak in black tea or G.A-3 will help break dormancy on dried out seeds but they can take quite awhile to sprout. I have seeds that have come up after one year of planting. What i do is plant in pot on bottom heat I give a couple months if they don't sprout I throw them under my propagation bench where i have spent potting soil and keep soil moist and like I said earlier some have come up after 6-12 months there!

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »
I'd recommend getting them from from folks on the forum, like Oscar (fruitlovers).  I've never gotten passiflora from tradewinds to germinate.
[/quote]

I've posted requests for them on the buy/sell/trade, and no one seems to have the species. I wanted to get P. maliformis from him, but his site says they're out of stock. I guess I could email him once his site is active again.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:26:34 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »

I've posted requests for them on the buy/sell/trade, and no one seems to have the species. I wanted to get P. maliformis from him, but his site says they're out of stock. I guess I could email him once his site is active again.
[/quote]

He's probably the best bet.  From your list I am growing P. alata and P. laurifolia but neither is fruiting for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk