Author Topic: General question on temperate trees  (Read 854 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
General question on temperate trees
« on: November 21, 2020, 12:46:48 PM »
Hello, I have a question regarding temperate trees , both fruiting and non fruiting. Do roots on temperate trees continue to grow in winter ,when the tree is dormant? I was transplanting some pine trees and one cherry the other day and the lone cherry and some of the pines had white growing tips on some of their roots ,indicating a happening growth. Is this typical with all the trees, the reason for asking is cuz I was wondering what is the best time to transplant such plants, spring or fall.
I know it has to do also with the plants type ,but if say a cherry like in my case is planted in fall and grows some roots trough winter, I suppose the tree will be in better condition to start spring growth when nature permits ,than say a plant which is planted/transplanted in spring and has all its roots damaged or disturbed to some degree.
I want to hear your thoughts on this, thanks ☺

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: General question on temperate trees
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:27:43 PM »
I have heard that you can plant a tree anytime during winter, just don't want the ground to be frozen solid. I have talked to some people at my local nursery and they agreed that fruit trees, persimmons in particular do grow roots during the winter. As for me...its not like I would dig it up just to see so...

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 01:41:09 PM »
I have heard that you can plant a tree anytime during winter, just don't want the ground to be frozen solid. I have talked to some people at my local nursery and they agreed that fruit trees, persimmons in particular do grow roots during the winter. As for me...its not like I would dig it up just to see so...
thanks for your input Jaboticaba45

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 10:25:48 PM »
I don't know about southern locales, but up here in the north where the ground freezes, tree roots go into a resting phase in the winter. Unlike the tree inself, which may go totally dormant, during the winter the roots remain ready to grow, and regardless of air temps, will grow if the soil temps are warm enough. Snow cover helps insulate the roots to protect them from freezing.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk