Author Topic: JF Annona grafting in Florida  (Read 7261 times)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
JF Annona grafting in Florida
« on: May 30, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »
Calostro seems to be doing well here in Sarasota. I try to get out and hand pollinate when I can but this also seems to set readily on its own. Fruits are tasty and it grows well on my Dream rootstock.

This fruit set after the heavy pruning I did for hurricane Irma. I picked it in early May and it still tasted good despite overwintering and hanging on the tree after it was HEAVILY pruned in Spring.

The La Habra Sun is quite prolific and great flavored.

I have some LM-3s hanging now which I am really excited to try

Also, various other stuff has small fruits or flowers. Anona Dulce, Arka Sahan, Birula, Pink's Mammoth, Big Green......

Thanks Frank! It is exciting to try all this stuff.

-Josh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: JF Annona grafting in Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »
Fruit looks great, I’m eager to hear your report on the Fruit, especially from the LM 3. Did you have to hand pollinate the LM 3 to get fruit? It would be great to hear from a Floridian on how the LM 3 compares to something like the Dream Annona. Please keep us updated!

Simon

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
Great looking fruits! In Cali, Calostro has the most chewiest flesh of all APs here. And from the cut fruit photo, I could see that the fruit also has some grittiness around the seed alveoles along with some sprouted seeds as well. I was hoping the Florida growing conditions would correct these annoyances.
Thera

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:05:08 PM »
That's bodoss
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
Great news and thanks for the report.
This is good news for the rest of us in FL.
Now I just have to kill all these leaf Hoppers

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »
Fruit looks great, I’m eager to hear your report on the Fruit, especially from the LM 3. Did you have to hand pollinate the LM 3 to get fruit? It would be great to hear from a Floridian on how the LM 3 compares to something like the Dream Annona. Please keep us updated!

Simon

I try to get out every night there are flowers and hand pollinate.

Great looking fruits! In Cali, Calostro has the most chewiest flesh of all APs here. And from the cut fruit photo, I could see that the fruit also has some grittiness around the seed alveoles along with some sprouted seeds as well. I was hoping the Florida growing conditions would correct these annoyances.

There was some of those gritty pockets around the seed but it didn't bother me too much. I am excited to try some more during the regular season. I picked some before hurricane Irma hit and they were tasty but things were so crazy around here I didn't really sit down and analyze them.
-Josh

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 08:22:26 AM »
Calostro seems to be doing well here in Sarasota. I try to get out and hand pollinate when I can but this also seems to set readily on its own. Fruits are tasty and it grows well on my Dream rootstock.

This fruit set after the heavy pruning I did for hurricane Irma. I picked it in early May and it still tasted good despite overwintering and hanging on the tree after it was HEAVILY pruned in Spring.

The La Habra Sun is quite prolific and great flavored.

I have some LM-3s hanging now which I am really excited to try

Also, various other stuff has small fruits or flowers. Anona Dulce, Arka Sahan, Birula, Pink's Mammoth, Big Green......

Thanks Frank! It is exciting to try all this stuff.

After nearly another year under your belt, I'm interested in hearing an updated report.
What is your top 5 considering the different climate here

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »

After nearly another year under your belt, I'm interested in hearing an updated report.
What is your top 5 considering the different climate here

They are all pretty good honestly. The Colostro seems to grow well and size up but there are some hard spots around the seeds which isn't ideal. I think the Pink's Mammoth tastes better than the Jumbo African Pride and African Pride.

I don't have a good read on the trees outside of the fruit because my trees are so heavily pruned and multigrafted. I also hand pollinate with so much different pollen.

Dream is still one of the best tasting fruits I have had. The Arka Sahan was also excellent. It is hard to beat a properly ripened Annona off of a happy well fed tree no matter what cultivar.

I always like to joke around that Gefner is the best anyway since it is so easily acquired.
-Josh

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »
Did you get to try la habra sun or birula?
I got three spots to plant, already have calostra and dream. What do you suggest?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 04:15:20 PM »
Can almost taste the pics! Well done.

Do you think any of these varieties would do well in the south FL (Miami) area?

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
I have had quite a few La Habra Suns. They have more of a sugar apple component to them. I haven't fruited Birula yet. I think I still have it on one of my trees.

I think almost any atemoya will do well in South Florida. There can be issues with seed borers but I haven't had any here. They like food, water, mulch, pruning, hand pollenating....

I even have a couple little El Bumpo cherimoya that set. I wouldn't be surprised if you could fruit Cherimoya all over the place with proper care. Time will tell. I have some other Cherimoya culitvars here as well.

El Bumpo fruitlet

-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »
Did you get to try la habra sun or birula?
I got three spots to plant, already have calostra and dream. What do you suggest?

Pink's Mammoth is pretty good. Do you have a rollinia? Gefner is a great fruit but super common. All of the cultivars seem to do fine here. Giant Yucatan squamosa had soft melting flesh that tasted like cake frosting to me.

I wish I could be more of a help. Hopefully I'll get a better feel for stuff as I get more trees into my messy yard. I have my first Ilama and Rollinia fruits growing now as well.
-Josh

kangtt

• HONOLULU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 06:13:04 PM »
Josh,
Is there a difference in appearance and taste between the Dream and
the Arka Sahan fruit?  Thanks

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 06:30:09 PM »
Josh,
Is there a difference in appearance and taste between the Dream and
the Arka Sahan fruit?  Thanks
Excellent question, as there was some controversy a few years back whether they might be one and the same.  I hope Josh can fill us in.
John

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 11:09:08 AM »
Hey guys,
They are different fruits. I should have some of each this year. Hopefully somewhat ripe around the same time.

Here is the story on the Dream origin I posted a while back. I am good friends with Wayne and a few other long time members in the clubs over here.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=492.msg337694#msg337694

The one or two Arka fruit I had were very good. Most home grown Annona are though.
-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 12:18:02 AM »
I pruned out and top worked the remaining Calostro sections from my tree today. It grew well here and even set fruit on it's own without hand pollination but there were always issues with black hard areas around the seeds. I think there are better varieties to work with so I no longer recommend it.
-Josh

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 02:13:49 AM »
Thanks for the update.
I just started having some success with my annona collection.  Got some fruits of Birula, AP and Pinks this year.
I have Calostro that took from a graft onto an interstock of cherimoya on pond apple root stock.  It is slow growing but should have a full year of growth this year (I hope).  I intend to take the tip off and strip the few leafs it has on in a week or so.  In time from spring growth.  Sad to hear it has some problems on your coast, may have the same problems on ours but that fruit sure looks good. I'd like to get some and then decide what to do with the variety.

I am grafting more JF scions onto some of my plants.  I hope one day to have a collection with 8 to 10 good varieties.  Yes I know when I get to 10, I will want a couple more  :)

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 08:54:32 AM »
I pruned out and top worked the remaining Calostro sections from my tree today. It grew well here and even set fruit on it's own without hand pollination but there were always issues with black hard areas around the seeds. I think there are better varieties to work with so I no longer recommend it.

Thanks for the update.
I have a decent-sized tree so I'll let it set some fruit this year and report in if I experience the same issues out east

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 11:09:38 AM »
Usually, black spots in middle of fruits are due to deficiency of Boron.
Har

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 01:12:28 PM »
Usually, black spots in middle of fruits are due to deficiency of Boron.

Interesting. The tree is multigrafted and all the other fruit is excellent quality. I'm curious if others have the same issues with this variety. I don't doubt that there is a boron deficiency. I may add a small amount to my irrigation tanks.

The fruit is still edible and delicious.
-Josh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 03:16:48 PM »
Josh
I’m having the same issues w calostro here this year. Could it be aspects that climate change? The quality of the fruit is still great

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 12:25:43 PM »
Josh
I’m having the same issues w calostro here this year. Could it be aspects that climate change? The quality of the fruit is still great

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

I am not 100% certain about this but it seemed like the Calostro flowers had more aroma than other varieties. I wonder if that would be part of the reason for higher fruitset without hand pollination.
-Josh

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 08:58:41 PM »
I am not 100% certain about this but it seemed like the Calostro flowers had more aroma than other varieties. I wonder if that would be part of the reason for higher fruitset without hand pollination.

You got it right, the flower fragrance is what attracts pollinators. Despite what some people believe, there is no such thing as self pollinating annona (yet), there is always an external pollinator. And the wind is not one.
Thera

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 01:11:41 AM »
Vernmented, your LM3 does not look like any Leo Manuel #3 Hybrid I’ve seen. Could be caused by the different climate or maybe even the pollen used but it looks very different in that the bumps are not pointing straight out.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 01:16:40 AM »
The Leo Hybrid #3 bumps point straight out at the base and points toward the tip or down on the rest of the fruit. See link for pictures of fruit harvested from Leo Manuel’s yard.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=19336.0

Simon