Author Topic: Help! Would REALLY like a hose-end sprayer that works with a low pressure pump!!  (Read 959 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
So, in my greenhouse I have a 175 gallon pond. I heat the water with a large aquarium heater so my tropicals don't freak out when they get watered.
When I don't fertilize, I just drop a sump pump into the pond and water away.
However, when I fertilize, I have to either use the same stuff and concentration for everyone and just dump the fertilizer into the pond, or I have to mix it by the gallon in watering cans and water 120 plants individually.
The problem is that all hose-end fertilizer sprayer applicators that I have tried will NOT work with something as low pressure as a sump pump.  The water just drizzles out the end of the sprayer while the sump pump overheats because the flow is restricted.
I would prefer not to have to buy a hugely expensive high-pressure pump.
Anyone know of a solution? Maybe a hose-end sprayer that works with low pressure pumps? The pump does not say how many PSI it generates and I have not been able to find the info online. It is a 1/3 HP pump connected to 40 ft of 1/2 inch hose. This gives me a little over 2 gallons per minute out the end of the hose.

Thanks!

Carolyn

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Those hose end fertilizer sprayers work by the venturi effect when water is restricted it creates a suction for the solution. So you will need a high pressure pump to make them work. Maybe you could use the low pressure pump and begin with low fertilizer concentration plants then medium concentration plants and finish up with the highest concentration plants. It would require stops to add more fertilizer but only require labor no purchase or modification.

This pump will probably work for you, read reviews people use it to wash campers and pump stuff it probably makes enough pressure for you.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352045_200352045

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Thanks!
I will check out the pump!

Yeah, I have done the low-medium-high fertilizer in the pond, and it works ok, but most times I don't use it all up, and then have to pump it all out the door.  My little parrots like to play under the pond waterfall and I can't leave any fertilizer in there, and my quail drink up anything on the floor and I worry about poisoning them.

Seems like I just create problems for myself, with the little ecosystem I have going on in there...

Carolyn

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Carolyn, I have a 30gal food grade drum I use for mixing fertilizer in the greenhouse.  And a drop in submersipal pump that a hose attaches to.  Even a 35 or 55gal trash can would probably work.  Might be something to use instead of the pond.

Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk