Author Topic: Wanted: Poncirus trifoliata fruit (Japanese bitter orange)  (Read 3346 times)

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
I'm looking to buy Poncirus trifoliata fruit (Japanese bitter orange) from anyone who will to sell them. I understand the peel and flesh has good anticancer properties, which at the moment is very important to me. You can PM me if you have some or will be expecting some this season. I would greatly appreciate it and will pay a fair price. Thanks.

Larry

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Poncirus trifoliata fruit (Japanese bitter orange)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 07:01:52 PM »
Larry, grapefruit is supposed to have anti-cancer property too. Maybe research that since grapefruit is available anywhere. Be careful if on blood thinners though since grapefruit can cause bleeding if on blood thinners.

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:05:29 PM »
Thank you, I am familiar with the general anticancer benefits of grapefruit and lemons. According to a Korean study, Poncirus trifoliata has potent anticancer properties but is also known to cause stomach illness like a chemotherapy. It was historically used in Asia not only to treat inflammation but for abortion. The mechanism is different than flavonoids, it initiates cellular apoptosis by activating death receptors such as tumor necrosis factor receptor (TNFR). I figured it is worth a try, but I know it is out of season right now.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:00:09 PM »
How do you plan on processing the fruit to make it edible? I've heard of people making marmalade out of it. Maybe could process a lot of fruit when it comes in to use all year long. Interesting. Maybe I should add more poncyrus trifoliata trees to my orchard. That would be ironic if we started growing and selling PT fruit on large scale.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »
I only have two trees old enough to bloom, and only harvested three fruit last year. This year my trees were covered with flower buds when the big 14 degree freeze hit in late March, and I'll have no fruit this year.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
Try calling Stan Mckenzie at Mckenzie Farms in SC or some other grower of cold hardy citrus since those folks use PT as a rootstock, they will have fruiting PT trees.

DFWCitrus

• SOUTHLAKE, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Citradia, I'm in Texas so McKenzie cannot (legally) ship here. I am growing many seedlings now but it will take years. I found a guy on eBay but his fruit will not ripen until fall.

Poncirus fruit is important in Asian and in Chinese medicine. Usually the fruit and the rind is used and the active substance is poncirin. I imagine it is not the best tasting thing but when your health could benefit from it...

I will keep searching but probably have to wait until harvest season. My Korean wife check around the Asian markets and herbal medicine places but no one has it. She says it is used in Korea.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »
I'm looking to buy Poncirus trifoliata fruit (Japanese bitter orange) from anyone who will to sell them. I understand the peel and flesh has good anticancer properties, which at the moment is very important to me. You can PM me if you have some or will be expecting some this season. I would greatly appreciate it and will pay a fair price. Thanks.

Larry

Fruiting season is September.