Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 941186 times)

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2400 on: November 06, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
Congrats on your first fruits!

I wait till the points on the skin dry up, before picking. 

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: November 06, 2017, 01:57:41 PM »
I need some advice on my first fruit. This is supposed to be Purple Haze. Is it ready to be picked or should I leave it on for a few more days?
Thanks guys!

S t a r l i n g

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: November 06, 2017, 05:15:38 PM »
I need some advice on my first fruit. This is supposed to be Purple Haze. Is it ready to be picked or should I leave it on for a few more days?
Thanks guys!

That's ready to pick, definitely. A good rule of thumb is that they're ready to pick when they flower has completely dried and fallen off. Also, you can see the purple flesh inside as an intonation through the skin. Pick it now.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: November 06, 2017, 09:02:17 PM »
Here's the vine that's closest to the street. I'm calling this the "A" vine.

This was 9:00 PM in the evening; it's a 15 second exposure to get that much light. Full resolution, here.

There were at least 2 dozen blooms tonight, of which 5-6 were easily reachable on foot, and one more with a stepladder. I have about a teaspoon of pollen in my fridge, because some of my own vines will bloom within a week.

I didn't have any of my own pollen with me, so I couldn't pollinate this vine, but I will bring some next time I visit. I did hand-pollinate these flowers with their own pollen, though I suspect they're self-infertile (but I don't actually know for sure).

The B vine (also outside the gate) had only one bloom, but there are more buds ready to pop over the next several nights.

The C vine (inside the gate) also had lots of blooms tonight, but I couldn't get inside.

None of the flowers I hand-self-pollinated set fruit, so apparently the A vine is self-infertile, and I never did get around to bringing some foreign pollen to it. Maybe next bloom cycle, if we have one, or perhaps next year.

A cutting of S-8 or other pollinator will take years to get to flowering stage.

But I had another idea--What if I were to graft some S-8 on these vines?

Can one graft DF onto descending branches? Is it hard to ensure contact on an upside-down graft? When causes a grafted piece to flower? Its own maturity, or the maturity of the host plant? Or a combination of both? When is the right time to graft?
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: November 07, 2017, 02:44:15 AM »
My first fruit!

This was my LaVerne Pink on Saturday:

and my Physical Graffiti on Saturday:

I was going to ask all y'alls' advice on when to pick them, but this morning they'd colored up quite a bit, and seemed more than the "2/3 color" mark, so I picked them!

I don't have a Brix-meter, nor much experience eating DF, so this evening's review will be more along the lines of "Yum!" or "Yuck!"

I've waited 3 years for the LaVerne Pink and 2 years for the PG. Wish me luck!

Lol.  I know how you feel.  There are still shades of green on the fruit and the fins are green.  I would have leave it for another week.  How do they taste?

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: November 07, 2017, 02:41:09 PM »
Thanks guys!

That's ready to pick, definitely. A good rule of thumb is that they're ready to pick when they flower has completely dried and fallen off. Also, you can see the purple flesh inside as an intonation through the skin. Pick it now.

Thanks! I’m gonna chill it in the fridge before enjoying my first fruit. 😋

S t a r l i n g

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: November 08, 2017, 03:18:41 AM »
Thanks guys!

Thanks! I’m gonna chill it in the fridge before enjoying my first fruit. 😋

You're always better off erring on the side of sooner rather than later, because they will ripen and increase sweetness off the plant, and over ripe dragonfruit are nasty--very nasty, especially in full sun.They develop a bitter, fermented taste.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: November 08, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »

Ugh... the disappointment and reveal of my first dragon fruit.
I was sent the wrong cutting again. Was supposed to be a purple haze. 2 years to find out it’s just a regular white flesh dragon fruit. The taste is ok. Little sweet with a slight tang. Was really hoping for a purple haze.
So disappointed.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: November 08, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »
where did you get it?
Brad Spaugh

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: November 08, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »
where did you get it?

I bought it off Etsy.  :(

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: November 08, 2017, 08:45:50 PM »
What's etsy?
Brad Spaugh

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: November 08, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »
What's etsy?

It’s a site that sells all sorts of items. Mostly homemade items. There’s plants and seeds for sale on that site too. But you just need to read the stores reviews before making any purchase. It’s basically like eBay. You could check out their site right here
Www.etsy.com

S t a r l i n g

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: November 09, 2017, 05:39:31 AM »
What's etsy?

It’s a site that sells all sorts of items. Mostly homemade items. There’s plants and seeds for sale on that site too. But you just need to read the stores reviews before making any purchase. It’s basically like eBay. You could check out their site right here
Www.etsy.com

Please check your inbox on this site, I sent a message.

rockman

• Orange, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: November 10, 2017, 12:04:07 PM »
Need advice from the experts here. One of my friends is starting making the wooden top for the single post trellis.  He will make 120 of these.  The planting distance will be 6 by 8.  What is the ideal dimension for the top? 2 x 2 feet? or even smaller is fine, like 16" x 16"?  Appreciate for your feedback!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: November 10, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »

Ugh... the disappointment and reveal of my first dragon fruit.
I was sent the wrong cutting again. Was supposed to be a purple haze. 2 years to find out it’s just a regular white flesh dragon fruit. The taste is ok. Little sweet with a slight tang. Was really hoping for a purple haze.
So disappointed.

Sad.

I have a plant of unknown variety that when cut open has the deepest purple fruit I have seen.  Don't let that impress you, I have not seen many purple fruits so this may be pretty ordinary to you.

I got the first fruit this year and left it on way too long.  I cut it earlier today and some of the seeds were already growing in the fruit.  The juices stained my hands the same was mulberry would. 

I would ship you a cutting if you want but cant name the variety so it will be another couple of years before you know what you got.

Let me know if you are interested.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2415 on: November 10, 2017, 06:19:19 PM »
I have several Delight cuttings you can have.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: November 10, 2017, 09:06:21 PM »

Hi Ric, was this offer directed towards me?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: November 10, 2017, 10:09:26 PM »

Hi Ric, was this offer directed towards me?

Yes, and if any left over... others.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: November 11, 2017, 01:33:45 AM »
Hey guys,
Iv'e been trying to grow df from cuttings, with undesirable results (slowww growth). I am unimpressed with grocery store fruits and would like to grow/try the less common cultivars. I can hardly get them to grow in cooler temperatures, and they seem to only like unfiltered sunlight, which I can only get in warm/hot months (since I live in Ohio). I can't tell if it's just inadequate lighting that is the issue, or maybe the soil or feeding regimen. Does anyone in cooler regions use supplemental lighting? If so, how is it working out for you?

Thanks in advance! :)
Anisha

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: November 11, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »
Hey guys,
Iv'e been trying to grow df from cuttings, with undesirable results (slowww growth). I am unimpressed with grocery store fruits and would like to grow/try the less common cultivars. I can hardly get them to grow in cooler temperatures, and they seem to only like unfiltered sunlight, which I can only get in warm/hot months (since I live in Ohio). I can't tell if it's just inadequate lighting that is the issue, or maybe the soil or feeding regimen. Does anyone in cooler regions use supplemental lighting? If so, how is it working out for you?
Thanks in advance! :)

My guess is it is too cold where you live.

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: November 11, 2017, 01:38:36 PM »
I've been growing cuttings for the past year in wisconsin...one thing I've noticed is that on bright sunny days they can take a lot of water/rain and still put on good growth, but even during the summer they didn't like the combo of wet and cloudy.  I have them inside now with supplemental light and they are slow growing, but seem to do best growth wise in the week before I  water them.  (I am watering them only every three weeks or so) so keeping them on the dry side might help.

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: November 11, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
Hey Ric, how do you rate the fruit of the Delight? I had only one spot left to plant and had to choose between Delight, Purple Haze and Physical Graffiti. I planted the Delight but still have the other two. Any thoughts?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: November 11, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
Hey Ric, how do you rate the fruit of the Delight? I had only one spot left to plant and had to choose between Delight, Purple Haze and Physical Graffiti. I planted the Delight but still have the other two. Any thoughts?

All three are good. Physical Graffiti is my favorite.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: November 13, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »
Can anyone confirm if this is a purple haze cutting?
Thanks!

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: November 13, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
It does look like a purple variety they normally have a heart shaped stems, but it's hard to tell. I have a 2 month old Purple Haze that I got from Linda Nickerson I recommend getting cuttings from her