Author Topic: Papaya Seedlings  (Read 840 times)

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Papaya Seedlings
« on: May 30, 2020, 09:35:13 PM »
All my backyard papaya plants are from 2012 so I thought it was time to start some new plantings.  I germinated in a Park Seed tray store bought (Aloha Seed) and also seeds from papayas growing in my backyard.  It took approx. 30 days, but all the seeds did sprout and grew to about 4-5" and I transferred them to larger pots.  Sadly, many have started to wilt and die after I moved them outside to a plastic pop up greenhouse.
I'm at a loss to figure out what's going wrong.
Help.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Papaya Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 09:12:32 AM »
Some of my seedling are looking a little droopy too.
But so far they are hanging in there.
Maybe I should be more careful about over fertilizing them. Perhaps try half strength until they are more mature.

Kevin Jones

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
I have found that they really hate standing water in pots, makes sure you use free draining mix and don't over water. This was with my Hawaiian papaya seedlings. Not sure if Mexican types are more forgiving.
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:03:51 AM »
Easy to start and easy to kill, all about having fast draining soil, also ina pot best to let it get root bound a little before stepping up. Ive killed a couple all from heavy soil and too much water

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 07:02:58 PM »
Thanks, apparently I'm guilty on all counts of moving them to larger pots too soon, over watering and over fertizlizing too soon.
At least I've now found a way with the Park Seed plugs and tray to get 100% germination even if it takes almost a month.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk