Author Topic: Miguel Avocado?  (Read 1012 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Miguel Avocado?
« on: August 25, 2020, 01:08:56 PM »
Judging by the shape, location of stem, and ripening season (now), would you say they're Miguel avocados?

John

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Miguel Avocado?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 02:28:22 PM »
Miguel Avocado:    Orig. in South Dade County, Fla., by H.E. Kendall Introd. in 1974. Plant patent 3734; 24 June 1975. Chance seedling, appears to be West Indian parentage; discovered in 1970. Fruit: 20 to 48 oz; elliptical, cleft at stylar end; skin dark green, smooth, shiny, slightly leathery, peels easily, free of cork lenticels; flesh yellow, smooth, buttery, free of fiber; flavor excellent, nutty; seed medium, tight in cavity; ripens late Aug. through Sept.; softens after 6 to 10 days at 70F. Tree: fairly spreading; vigorous; blooms late Jan. to March; flower type B; one to two fruit per stem; major commercial cultivar in Florida. (B&O Register)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 06:28:42 PM »
Whatever they are, they were at least a month away from ripeness when they came off the tree.  In truth they were drops that I found under the tree.  Maybe knocked off by a storm.  Anyway...no oil.  Very watery.  Inedible!  I had to go back to eating supermarket Hass.  So many people pick WI avocados when they first size up, but they're nowhere near ready.  No wonder people hate Florida avocados!

Update:  My comments above were based on the first of three avocados I tasted.  The last one was at least edible, but still with little oil content.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 10:43:51 AM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 11:14:41 PM »
They are not Miguel
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 09:45:12 AM »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 07:36:58 PM »
I hate to jump off thread but Carlos, from your chart there is a 'Loretta that has small seed to flesh ratio have you ever tasted that one?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 02:00:15 PM »
You know, every year I say I need to try the Loretta but I never get to it. I don't grow them and don't know anyone that does is no longer a popular commercial variety. I will try to ask a packing house for one to try.  I agree it is a curiosity such big fruit with such small seed
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com