Author Topic: Do soil imparts a defining taste on fruit trees? . My Catalina Avocado  (Read 946 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
I just update my web page on the subject:
​ September 7, 2020: I have not been keeping up on Catalina. The tree at home and the top worked tree in the grove both lost to the hurricane Irma in 2017. The only survivor is the Catalina on Catalina shown in the picture of September 2015. A small tree that was planted between two vigorous trees, as result growing very slowly. Finally this year set 10 fruits. To my amazement I find that the fruit taste very different from the tree at home, actually better. The tree at home produced a very oily fruit with a canistel like taste that I really did not preferred. The fruit from the grove, is much better, creamy, lighter in a way. I measure my preference to where I go to get fruit to eat at home. Every day I'm, going by this tree to take one fruit for home.  eat 1/2 with the meal and save the other 1/2 for avocado toast in the morning. Even the shape of the fruit is different. Is less round, bigger seed. That has always been my theory, the terroir imparts a lot of the fruit taste and character.  My home is probably the only house in Dade County that is not on rock. I have clay soil, heavily compacted and deep. Last time we dug at 15 feet we still had clay. Probably I'm on an ancient waterhole.
The tree at home was probably grafted on a Waldin seedling and this one on a Catalina.  That's another story for another time.

https://www.myavocadotrees.com/catalina-avocado.html
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Do soil imparts a defining taste on fruit trees? . My Catalina Avocado
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 03:29:02 AM »
A range of fruit characteristics including flavour depend on nutrients, water at stages of development and climate. PH can influence availability and the key nutrients that influence taste. Shade, tree age and health and no doubt a range of other factors also have an influence.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 06:46:58 AM »
Slow growing trees produce more dense wood. The fruit is more nutrient dense.  The fruit is slow to rot.  Location and how a plant is grown matters.  The flavor and texture differences is especially noticeable in tree crops like Mango.

That Avocado looks good.  Do you want to trade some seeds?

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:21:01 AM »
Nice to see you post. I had kept up with your website some years ago. Actually got a Catalina tree around that time. Although I got from a random nursery and I think they gave me another type of avocado maybe Simmons ?

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 08:57:15 AM »
A range of fruit characteristics including flavour depend on nutrients, water at stages of development and climate. PH can influence availability and the key nutrients that influence taste. Shade, tree age and health and no doubt a range of other factors also have an influence.

Thank you Mike. I always thought so. Soil health plus minerals is my work field for next few yrs. Especially after the trees are already in ground how much can be improvised by chop n drop, ground covers etc. Plus i am experimenting on taste difference in mango trees grown close to brackish river with all sea minerals plus regular FL soil with no additional NPK.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 09:26:48 AM »
So you actually prefer the avocado grown on the poorer soil, which is less oily and lighter in flavor?
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 04:26:16 PM »
Nice to see you post. I had kept up with your website some years ago. Actually got a Catalina tree around that time. Although I got from a random nursery and I think they gave me another type of avocado maybe Simmons ?
That is an unfortunate problem in some nurseries. The leaves are very different though. Simonds is a great fruit. Nothing wrong with it.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »
So you actually prefer the avocado grown on the poorer soil, which is less oily and lighter in flavor?
Yes John, taste is determined by the taster. That is why I hate when people ask "what is your top avocado". Some don't taste the same every year.   I
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »
Carlos id love to have a conversation with you if you can PM me so we can talk. Look forward to it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk