Author Topic: Peach Cobbler Mango ripening  (Read 1467 times)

spaceoak

• Zone 9b, North Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
Peach Cobbler Mango ripening
« on: June 29, 2020, 04:49:29 PM »
Hello

My peach cobbler mango tree has plenty of fruit this year.  I know it is difficult to tell when to pick, but unfortunately the raccoons are better at finding the ripe ones.  I am being out smarted.  I need to up my game quickly.  Any further advice of when to pick and when to eat.  I found this

It will go overripe quickly if allowed to start to turn soft on the tree. Harvest it green/firm when the color turns to a lighter shade.

Does it need to sit a few days to ripen off the tree?

Thank you. 

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: Peach Cobbler Mango ripening
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 05:17:13 PM »
They fall off on their own usually, so I would Bag them if possible and check the bags daily

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:10:08 PM »
I ran across this video which explains general detection of ripening. The idea of different color ribbons installed during bloom is interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4qSHrepLL8&t

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:27:16 PM »
They fall off on their own usually, so I would Bag them if possible and check the bags daily

That is interesting.  Squam256 says to pick them green and firm when they turn a lighter shade of green.  I think this type may get over ripe before they fall off the tree. 

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 10:00:06 AM »
I ran across this video which explains general detection of ripening. The idea of different color ribbons installed during bloom is interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4qSHrepLL8&t

Thank you pineislander.  That video was helpful.  Looking at the shoulders and spots.  I am still not sure how much ripening to do off the tree for a peach cobbler. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 12:43:40 PM »

Assuming its not storm or critter related, if they are falling off on their own, they are probably being left on too long (or a deficiency in your tree which is making stems weak).
- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 06:33:55 PM »
from my experience Peach Cobbler goes downhill quick and I had best tasting ones picked when shoulders are full and you see light tinge of light green shading. if allowed to ripe on tree, they have been mushy. eat when still ripe on firm side, best bang for buck there.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 09:40:33 AM »
I only had it one time And it was a delicious mango.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.