Author Topic: How to choose soursop and mamey sapote  (Read 1110 times)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
How to choose soursop and mamey sapote
« on: June 16, 2022, 10:54:45 PM »
Are all of these soursop over ripe? I've never had it and my go to for this info's phone died. I'm also wanting to know how to choose mamey sapote.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: How to choose soursop and mamey sapote
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 11:06:44 PM »
With Mamey, store bought isn’t the best way to go. They will never taste as good as being picked straight ripe off the tree. While they may soften up, the taste won’t be as good. Best way is to scratch the skin to see…but that’s when picking from the tree…from the store is different as they were all picked hard green at some point.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 11:11:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to try before I invest space for them.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 12:07:41 PM »
You’ll want the sop to look as tree fresh as possible, the black spotting is visual sign of decomposition process beginning, the inside of the sops would be near complete mush.

For Mamey I have found excellent fruit at the local spanish flea market. I go for the biggest mamey available and also look for one that feels slightly soft, you will want the fruit that has been allowed to mature fully on tree.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 12:59:26 PM »
Thank you. I'm waiting for the sapote to soften more, but I opened the soursop and I think it was good

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 01:11:08 PM »
I've only ever eaten two soursop, but the most recent one was quite soft when I bought it at the market but it tasted fantastic and I assume was perfectly ripe.  The previous soursop I'd eaten was firmer when I bought it and much less sweet, maybe I needed to let it ripen longer.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 03:04:36 PM »
With Mamey, store bought isn’t the best way to go. They will never taste as good as being picked straight ripe off the tree. While they may soften up, the taste won’t be as good. Best way is to scratch the skin to see…but that’s when picking from the tree…from the store is different as they were all picked hard green at some point.

I have had store bought mamey sapotes. I quite enjoyed them; it is why I added a couple of mameys to my collection. While I agree that store bought fruit will never be as good as tree-ripened fruit, that applies for every species, not just mamey sapotes. For basically everyone outside of Florida and California, buying a mamey sapote from a supermarket (or some sort of specialty grocery) is the only option, and you can still get enjoyable, good tasting fruits from a store.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 04:58:03 AM »
On that note don't buy mamey from the grocery store. My daughter was playing with it and it split, so I decided to open it and found this. I wonder if the seed is at least good.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 08:46:06 AM »
Some of those sops look to be potentially okay to me. They aren't always pretty on the outside; does not necessarily mean they are bad. The spikes wither and darken, and then the skin starts to darken as the fruit softens.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 01:36:52 PM »
On that note don't buy mamey from the grocery store. My daughter was playing with it and it split, so I decided to open it and found this. I wonder if the seed is at least good.

if you want fresh mamey,
lara farms ships.
Thats gonna be the freshest you can get.