Author Topic: What type of mango is this  (Read 1827 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What type of mango is this
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:16:24 AM »
The item description was a little confusing.  But I interpreted the statement as variety Wise.  Wise is an old time variety from Miami.  I don't recall it ever being identified as a giant mango.  Perhaps squam256 or bsbullie can provide a better answer...I recall reading a TFF post within the last year on wise mango.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:18:08 AM by wslau »
Warren

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:33:58 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-mango-live-grafted-tree-from-Puerto-Rico-/262448778173?hash=item3d1b2a8bbd:g:jKEAAOSwQYZWyccC

Hard to really say for sure.  I am unfamiliar with a mango called Wise.  I do remember some discussion about it here on the forum.  I thought that they might have been referring to Eweis, an Egyptian mango.  I was promptly corrected and advised that Wise was an older cultivar from the Miami area. Eweis definitely looks nothing like this mango.  TopTropicals has a picture of what they call Wise and it does not appear to be the same mango picture in the Ebay ad.  No comment on the correctness or lack of correctness of the photo.

I have seen Keitt mangoes that look like this and without further information, that would be my best guess.  I did encounter a large fruited mango called Piniero in Puerto Rico.  The fruit that I saw had not colored up as these have.  However, that blushing can often vary with sun exposure. I did buy a small Piniero tree but it has not fruited for me as of yet.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 08:40:45 AM »
The fruit in the photo is definitely not Wise. Something else. Maybe just some local seedling selection.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:00:18 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk