Author Topic: May Mango update - Palm Springs, CA  (Read 7311 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
May Mango update - Palm Springs, CA
« on: May 19, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »
 This is my place in the desert in Palm Springs California....Gary  (I've got a couple more I'll post later...)

Valencia Pride

Gold Nugget

Coconut Cream

Kent

Chocanon

Lemon Zest

Glenn

Bombay

Edward - only 1 mango hidden in back after ALL that flowering

Keitt2

Seedling Nam Doc Mai

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:46:08 PM by MangoFang »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: May Mango update - Palm Springs, CA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 02:13:46 PM »
Gary,

Looking really good, Lemonzest seems to have really increased in production this year. Congrats on the healthy mango trees and future harvest.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »
MangoDog, your trees look great! The LZ looks loaded can't wait until July. You have EdwRd on the wrong rootstock. If you remember Eunice grafted her Edward on Manila type rootstock. I followed her lead here is a two year grafted Edward loaded on Manila rootstock

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
Gary, everything looks great!  It is amazing how early your mango season is there in the dessert.

JF, I may need to buy a grafted Edward from you soon. My Edward on Florida rootstock never sets any fruit. I'll give it one more year to produce or get pulled.

Bill

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »

Very nice Gary!! You'll have some great mangoes this summer, Congrats!! How old is your Glenn and Kent now? I love Kents, wish I had planted one of them but for now I have enough trees to take care of  ::)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 04:04:28 PM »
Gary, your garden looks like a paradise.  Can I come visit?

I can't believe how fast your mango grow in size, about 100time bigger than mine. check out my peanut size mango.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Looking good Gary!  Your LZ tree and fruit look awesome.  Can't wait til July too.
Warren

Stan

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:05:54 PM »
Gary, your garden looks like a paradise.  Can I come visit?

I can't believe how fast your mango grow in size, about 100time bigger than mine. check out my peanut size mango.

Looks fine...you got a great bloom I see. Those will be ready about late august/september. 

Mangodog shows...sometimes you just get a good one,and sometimes you get ..not so good. If you have the room,try several.

Nice idea with the roofing paper to increase heat. I'm thinking I have an extra sheet of plexiglass. Use it in some way.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:08:20 PM by Stan »

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:46:01 PM »
Nice!
Shane

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 06:59:59 AM »
Looking really good LZ is awesome!
Zone 10

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:12:14 PM »
Gary, everything looks great!  It is amazing how early your mango season is there in the dessert.

JF, I may need to buy a grafted Edward from you soon. My Edward on Florida rootstock never sets any fruit. I'll give it one more year to produce or get pulled.

Bill

I didn't have plans to propagate Edward but I'm sure I have an extra Manila rootstock around.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 12:28:13 PM »
Looks great Gary!
- Mark

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »
Gary, your backyard tropical paradise is looking awesome! Your trees look to be in excellent condition. I'm jealous of your Lemon Zest tree, it's growing so well for you and doesn't look droopy like mine. How are your LZ grafts onto your Manilla doing?

Simon

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
Gary from a fellow Desert dweller, very jealous but very happy for you.
All are looking great.
I would get rid of that Coco cream seems like a pain in the butt to take care of. Looks like you are trying to shield it from the sun ... just saying
The mango tastes great ... tree and production ...meh
I love the fact you took some photos of your soil / Mulch . I love the mixture of the grass/ shredded leaves ...gonna improve your soil drastically over the years if you keep dumping that.

Like Simon said .. how is the "Big " Manila you grafted with some Lemon Zest scions.

C'mon Gary you know us plant people  , we remember everything...you can't leave that out?????
LOL - great Job man. You are doing something right. I Mean a lot of things right.

I would do as JF Said and maybe replace a tree or two that's not doing great and put in A Manila Rootstock grafted tree

A Jealous Mike..in the desert ! :)

Stan

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »
I should add..all Garys look great,some like Lemon Zest is my dream here.   I meant if a Mango you try grows slow...try another variety. Gary's got many a dream Mango.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 05:23:50 PM »
well thank you all very much...just checked in here and see all the comments, so let's see if I can answer them:

JF - yes the rootstock could make the difference but what can I do now??? I've got a full grown tree that I HATE to hit with the spade.

Puglvr - the Glenn and Kent are both about 4-5 years in the ground from the florida trees I bought.  The Glenn suffered from me covering it with frost
cloth last summer and I lost the top part of the tree.  The Kent just seems to flush once or twice after it is done fruiting and I probably should have
taken them off the first couple years or so...but think of it this way - it does wonders for keeping it a dwarf (!!!)

knlim000 - yes you can come visit anytime I'm around - send me a PM....my fruit are so much bigger I think because of my greater heat hours earlier in the year.
That is not roofing paper to increase heat - not sure what pic you are looking at but it is probably just mulch and/or compost - see my response to ArizonaMike...

simon - LZ grafts on that Manila in front - I'd say I have about 7-8 that took after dozens and dozens of tries but they are doing well...time to graft a couple others
on to it this time of year....

ArizonaMike - yes that is shade for the CocoCream and it is a big enough pain...BUT....it is a spot to plant something as I've run out so let's see as it grows in
size to really fill that space it will do a lot more of the self-shading - just like the Edward which is in a very HOT SPOT too - just don't have the heart to give either
the CHOP....Yes, have a gardener drop me off a couple 35 gallon containers of cut grass each week that I spread around the plants building layers - I'm banking
on what you're saying to be true....any pictures you want to show at this time????

Big Manny with LZ - I'd say about half the canopy is LZ, the other part is Manila that I just find hard to hold back.
The second picture shows the top of the bottom part of the tree that is sprouting manila like crazy also.....it's a crappy
pic - I'll try to get something better when I've got more time.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:25:50 PM by MangoFang »

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 01:41:51 AM »
Gary and others in California you guys are killing me on how big your mangoes are right now. Mine down here in Chula Vista are small and I'm going to concentrate on getting them to grow bigger.

LA QUINTA TROPICAL FRUITS

• La quintaQuinta
    • View Profile
    • Tropical fruit forum
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
HEY WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR MANGO TREES IN THE COACHELLA VALLEY?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 08:42:15 PM »
MangoDog, your trees look great! The LZ looks loaded can't wait until July. You have EdwRd on the wrong rootstock. If you remember Eunice grafted her Edward on Manila type rootstock. I followed her lead here is a two year grafted Edward loaded on Manila rootstock

Amazing!
John

AZ-Tropics

• Chandler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »
Gary,

Your mango trees are looking awesome!  I remember stopping by a few years ago, and they weren't nearly that big. You've done a great job, and I'll see if I can't learn from you on how to grow them well in the desert! 

Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing.

-Kyle

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »
Repost Gary's Glenn sun burnt fruits and JF's Edward on Manila root stock.

My Glenn fruits this year have the same burnt as in Gary photo. Anyone know why? Other mangoes don't have the same damage.

On JF's Edward /manila root, I could be wrong but these Edward fruits do look like Glenn even down to the long stems. My Edward fruits are with green color at this stage, not any tint as in this photo. Any with Edward please chime in.

Glenn:

Edward: