Author Topic: Which variety of sapodilla do you recommend?  (Read 55872 times)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Which variety of sapodilla do you recommend?
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
Well done, Alexi.  Greatly appreciated  :)
I don't speak a lick of spanish so that's a great help.

Thanks and you're welcome.  :) My Spanish speaking skills kinda suck. I speak with a Gringo accent and have some trouble verbally explaining myself in Spanish during a conversation.  But I at least know what they're saying.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:54:21 AM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
Thanks for the translation Alexi! Now I can follow along with the video while reading the translation.

My pleasure.   :)
Alexi

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »
Alexi, thanks for sharing that video, its priceless.  :)  Was that a couple of years ago?  Pablo looks younger in that video.

Adiel
Adiel

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
I thought I posted here before but I planted Sapodilla Prolific that I purchased from Mickey @ Plantogram.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
Alexi, thanks for sharing that video, its priceless.  :)  Was that a couple of years ago?  Pablo looks younger in that video.

Adiel

Your welcome Adiel.  :) I'm not sure how old that video is. I'll see if can make a suggestion/request of a mamey sapote video, describing the different varieties like he did with the Sapodilla/nispero video.
Alexi

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »
Hello Friends,

My vote would be for Hasya.  I had some of Harry's about a year ago and they were simply Fantastic. They were super sweet, little to no grittiness, with an excellent texture.  They were pretty nice in size as well; I would definitely not categorize them as small by any means.

Jacob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 12:06:25 AM »
The image below are that of an Alano and a Silas Woods.  The quarter is for size comparison (this is also a "bigger" specimen of the Silas).  Note the color difference of the flesh.

- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 12:09:21 AM »
bsbullie,

How is the taste of Silas Woods, I just got Silas Woods yesterday. I have heard from previous topics about it, that it has good flavor.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 12:13:36 AM »
bsbullie,

How is the taste of Silas Woods, I just got Silas Woods yesterday. I have heard from previous topics about it, that it has good flavor.
Flavor is good though it does not have that brown sugar taste to it.  I would say it is a cleaner taste and not as intensely sweet as most other varieties.  Is it my favorite, no, is it good and worthy of eating, yes.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:35 PM »
bsbullie,

Silas Woods fruit well in Socal. Alano and Prolific do very well also.

JF

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 11:16:26 PM »
Sequence 1

Can someone give an English summary of that video? It looks as though it has some good information.

Here's the translation I did of the whole video:

Pablo....

Gracias, mi estimado Tropicalgrower89, por la traduccion.. Es refrescante ver un joven cubano tan interesado en el Mamey y en su idioma.

Saludos
JF

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:58 AM »
I'm with Adam on this one. Makok is my favorite variety, mostly because it stays small on its own, no pruning required, and bears low to the ground. Chicos can get to become very big trees, at least here, so it's nice to have one that is dwarfing on its own. The fruit is also nice with no grit, and is torpedo shaped. The other 2 cultivars i have are Sao Manila and Krasuey. Sao Manila is a nice big fruit and very productive tree. Krasuey also nice but not as productive. Here is a photo of these 3 cultivars:

Another cultivar i like but have never been able to get is Prolific. The name says it all--the trees get absolutely loaded with fruit.
I also had an interesting chico at Frankie's nursery, one that can be eaten even when still hard, and is sweet, but i forget the name of it. All other chicos are incredibly terrible if eaten hard. Here that is a real advantage because as soon as they soften the fruits are stung by fruit flies.
Chico is very popular in Hawaii, but only among the Phillippine people. It is a fruit that has never won any kind of wide acceptance. Chico was introduced into Phillippines, Thailand, and India a very long time ago and is a very popular fruit there.
Oscar
Oscar

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 08:50:15 AM »
I came back from Puerto Rico with a grafted tree with the label 'Nipser Mexicano 7.'  Can anyone ID that variety for me?
Seems to be a slow grower but I have nothing else to compare it to and it could very easily just be a typical Missouri sapodilla growth pattern.
 :-\

dnt72800

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »
I planted a small alano early last year...It is about 2 ft tall from the ground. Flowers like crazy soon after and now holding a tiny fruit..I would recommend Alano....
DT

bthackar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 08:24:23 AM »
1) I have Hasya which I bought about 3 years ago from Kenari Groves in Loxahatchee.  It is air layered & very slow grower.  I have been fertilizing it regularly, is this typical?
2) I live in Plantation (Fort Lauderdale area) and the city has planted Sapodillas everwhere, but for some reason majority of them don't bear fruit.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »
1) I have Hasya which I bought about 3 years ago from Kenari Groves in Loxahatchee.  It is air layered & very slow grower.  I have been fertilizing it regularly, is this typical?
2) I live in Plantation (Fort Lauderdale area) and the city has planted Sapodillas everwhere, but for some reason majority of them don't bear fruit.

I'm in Davie and find Hasya a fairly rapid grower.  I think my trees were grafted and not airlayered.  I wonder how the root development is on your airlayered tree.  That may be the issue.  Some airlayers never develop the kind of root structure that allows the plant to thrive.  Re: the sapodilla trees in Lauderdale....where do you see them, I haven't really noticed.  But, if they are not fruiting, it maybe that they are seedlings and have not reached maturity (which can take many years beyond the tree's appearing mature) or the fruits are inconspicuous or extremely light in production.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 09:10:36 AM »
I'm in Davie and find Hasya a fairly rapid grower.  I think my trees were grafted and not airlayered.  I wonder how the root development is on your airlayered tree.  That may be the issue.  Some airlayers never develop the kind of root structure that allows the plant to thrive.  Re: the sapodilla trees in Lauderdale....where do you see them, I haven't really noticed.  But, if they are not fruiting, it maybe that they are seedlings and have not reached maturity (which can take many years beyond the tree's appearing mature) or the fruits are inconspicuous or extremely light in production.

Harry

There are two large sapodilla trees near the NE corner of Peters and University and they are often covered in fruit. The fruit hang over into the sidewalk and you often see people trying to pick them in season.

bthackar, when you said that the city has planted them, did you actually mean the city of Plantation went out and planted sapodilla trees? I've been living in Plantation for a few years I haven't noticed them.

edself65

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
Here is a photo of the Haysa fruit that I brought back from Harry's place this past weekend! I was totally against growing sapodillas until Adam gave me a Makok fruit! I really liked it! A very nice tasting fruit without any grit! So then I tried the Hasya at Harry's place! I like it just as well! Great flavor larger fruit and no grit! So I want to grow both now!
Thanks,
Ed

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »
There is a neighborhood here in Coral Springs where Sapodilla seedlings were planted in front of 15 or 18 homes back in the early 70s and these trees are now HUGE.  As you would imagine, some are incredible producers and some are not. I used to go and fill a large shopping bag with these fruits. Once again, some were tasty and some were mediocre.     
FloridaGreenMan

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »
The label 'Nipser Mexicano 7' should be 'Nispero Mexicano 7' which means, 'Mexican Sapodilla #7'. It's basically an unnamed cultivar from mexico.
Jeff  :-)

natsgarden123

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
I pretty disappointed...I wanted to buy a Hasya, since so many people like that variety. so I stopped by Excalibur this afternoon. The 3 and seven gallons they have are really tiny. The other varieties are much larger.  My sis has an alano so i wanted to get something different. Any suggestions?  Does anyone else have a larger hasya? :)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
Hasya are in very short supply right now. Also, sapodillas grow at a snail's pace when young.

natsgarden123

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
My alano grew pretty fast and I had fruit the first year. I looked for a seven or ten gallon Hasya there and they didnt have any decent ones either.  They did have some HUGE potted ones for $1000.   

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
There has been a shortage of sapodilla trees for roughly 3 years now. Before then, you could find really nice, 2+ year old trees for 25$ on the retail market. You may get lucky and eventually find a tree that someone has been sitting on for a while, but chances are slim.

My experience with grafting those babies is that it takes roughly 2 years before a grafted sapodilla is fully rooted out in a 3 gallon pot, which is approximately double the time it takes for a mango tree. They are frustratingly slow growers at first. Once they lay down some roots, they grow nicely.

natsgarden123

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »
Shortage of Sapodilla? who knew? ???
The Palm Beach Rare fruit society has its huge plant sale in November: Maybe someone will have a bigger Hasya.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk