Poll

What is your favorite Late Season Mango?

Keitt
14 (33.3%)
Kent
7 (16.7%)
Neelam
7 (16.7%)
Beverly
3 (7.1%)
Brooks Late
1 (2.4%)
Golden Nugget
2 (4.8%)
Valencia Pride
0 (0%)
Rapoza
2 (4.8%)
Springfels
0 (0%)
Palmer
1 (2.4%)
Lancetilla
1 (2.4%)
Graham
2 (4.8%)
Heidi
0 (0%)
Zill's Late (Zillate)
1 (2.4%)
Sensation
0 (0%)
Other
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: What is your favorite Late Season Mango?  (Read 19149 times)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »

Lets see what mango wins this one.  :)
Adiel

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Late Season Mango?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
I've never gotten to taste Zillate.

Some on the list seem more like mid-season mangos, so I stuck with Keitt.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »
Hi Adiel,

I voted for Palmer...luv them alot ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
Thank you Steven.   My neighbor has a Palmer Mango tree.   From what I have read, it is and old Florida commercial variety.
Adiel

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 03:13:18 AM »
Out of the mangoes available locally, I can sometimes find Palmer,  I like the aroma and taste,  they do suffer from jelly seed like the Haden, if they get too much rain. but its one that if I am lucky to find at the market,  I'll buy em.   farmers it seems are phasing these out in favor of the Keitt, not because of better taste, but for all the other commercial benefits. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »
Problem with these polls is that they tend to implicitly assume that we've all tasted all the candidates. My guess is that Keitt will easily win because it's the one that most have tasted. How many have tasted a Rapoza? That's my pick. Much tastier than Keitt. But i haven't tasted Palmer and a few of the others on the list.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 06:39:15 AM »
Problem with these polls is that they tend to implicitly assume that we've all tasted all the candidates. My guess is that Keitt will easily win because it's the one that most have tasted. How many have tasted a Rapoza? That's my pick. Much tastier than Keitt. But i haven't tasted Palmer and a few of the others on the list.
I agree with you there, I have tasted most but not all...plus, I am sure, or at least think from what I have read, that Rapoza tastes better coming from Hawaii than it does grown in SFla (which could be true for all the varieties, location grown could have a huge affect on the taste and people's choices).  I have tasted it grown here, and while better than a lot on this list, it would not be my pick.  Although after Neelam (which is my pick), it is probably pretty close to the top.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:47:56 AM »
I've never gotten to taste Zillate.

Some on the list seem more like mid-season mangos, so I stuck with Keitt.
I agree with you 100% on this statement.  VP, Springfels, Graham, Palmer (for the most part...at times can go into late August or early September but I would not classify as a late season with Beverly, Keitt, Neelam, Lancetilla) should not be classified as late season.  The later part of mid season but not late season.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 07:19:22 AM »
I voted for Beverly.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »
Thank you Steven.   My neighbor has a Palmer Mango tree.   From what I have read, it is and old Florida commercial variety.

The Palmer Mango sure is an old Floridian cv. It was planted in 1925 and was officially named in 1945. The Palmer mango is now 87 years old  8)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »
Just out of curiosity...Since there is alot of old Floridian Mangos...Are the original trees still alive?

Thanks,
Steven
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
I agree with you there, I have tasted most but not all...plus, I am sure, or at least think from what I have read, that Rapoza tastes better coming from Hawaii than it does grown in SFla (which could be true for all the varieties, location grown could have a huge affect on the taste and people's choices).  I have tasted it grown here, and while better than a lot on this list, it would not be my pick.  Although after Neelam (which is my pick), it is probably pretty close to the top.

Not surprising that same cultivar grown on volcanic soils is going to taste different than from limestone soils. Also our climates are different and will also have an effect on mango taste. So far the Neelam i've harvested have been small and not that great, but very late in season. I will get a better idea of what they're really like this year. BTW, that is another factor: 2 rapoza trees and one gives better fruit than the other. So if you only have one of each cultivar you definitely are not getting a clear idea of what that cultivar is really like. These taste comparisons are really a LOT more complicated than meets the eye, or the tongue.  ;)
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
Just out of curiosity...Since there is alot of old Floridian Mangos...Are the original trees still alive?

Thanks,
Steven

That is really on a case by case basis and some of this knowledge is with the old timers who don't go on line. The Young/Tebow mango was discussed a while back and where the original tree is still going strong in Fort Lauderdale. I know who moved into the old Springfels property where the original Springfels tree is or maybe it is a son of the original. This stuff is known but if you are really curious you should start a new thread on it. What you have going against you is that the general trend in this group and at Fairchild Gardens (a major trend setter) is away from ye old school Florida mangoes and toward SE Asian, Indian, Latin American, new Zill invented varieties etc etc etc

The old Florida way was one large Haden (or other) in the backyard for mangoes and shade.  This is perfectly nice and legitimate and you can see examples of this as you drive around.  And you don't plant fruit trees in your front yard, front is for ornamentals only. The new Florida way that the people here (this online forum) like is to have 5-10 or more mango trees to extend the season and give you more tastes. More trees that are modest size instead of one huge mango shade tree. And you do have trees in front yard because you ran out of space.

This also works out for the nursery men because they sell more trees!  :) So everyone is happy all ways around  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:20:22 AM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »
Neelam versus Keitt....both are late mangoes
I have both
Not everyone gets to plant in a fenced backyard. I have trees planted in places where people might grab some and in places far away from that problem. Keitts hang and hang there for a long time....I have had them stolen. They are large fruits that take on a reddish color. Plant this tree where the fruits will not be taken. Neelam is far more modest with smaller fruits. If you plant on your periphery where you might tempt people, this is a better bet.

Another great periphery mango is Fairchild. Nice smaller fruits but not a late season mango

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »
None of that lot and i have only tried a little over half.Where is choc annon/sam ru du? I am surprised people are not running out of things to say about mangoes as they dominate discussions.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 07:46:43 PM »

Neelam versus Keitt....both are late mangoes
I have both
Not everyone gets to plant in a fenced backyard. I have trees planted in places where people might grab some and in places far away from that problem. Keitts hang and hang there for a long time....I have had them stolen. They are large fruits that take on a reddish color. Plant this tree where the fruits will not be taken. Neelam is far more modest with smaller fruits. If you plant on your periphery where you might tempt people, this is a better bet.

Another great periphery mango is Fairchild. Nice smaller fruits but not a late season mango

Hi Zands, I didn't realize Keitt takes on a reddish color, I thought they had very little color when they ripen, good to know.  Would you happen to have a picture of yours? Would like to see what I have to look forward to.  Mine is fruiting for the very first time, I have just a few on the tree...hopefully I will get to try it...but who knows? They are still pretty small, several months till they are ready.  A lot of things can still happen. But, I'm hoping. Thanks!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »

Thanks,
Steven

Steven,

Many of them are and I've made a google map of where they're located. Some of the ones I know are still standing are:

Haden (109 years old), Coconut Grove
Kent, Coconut Grove
Springfels, West palm Beach
Bailey's Marvel, Bokeelia
Cogshall, Bokeelia
Florigon, Ft. Lauderdale
Eldon, Miami

Some others I suspect are still there:
Lippens or Golden Lippens, Miami
Palmer, Miami
Parvin, Bradenton

a couple others.

Some of the first  Duncan and Young trees are still standing as well in West Palm

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:43:56 PM by Squam256 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 09:06:57 PM »

Hi Zands, I didn't realize Keitt takes on a reddish color, I thought they had very little color when they ripen, good to know.  Would you happen to have a picture of yours? Would like to see what I have to look forward to.  Mine is fruiting for the very first time, I have just a few on the tree...hopefully I will get to try it...but who knows? They are still pretty small, several months till they are ready.  A lot of things can still happen. But, I'm hoping. Thanks!

Whoa, that was sloppy of me. Keitts take on some light purple coloration on top as they progesss. Mine do at least. And they do hang there for months ripening and tempting the honest to steal. Last year no stealing but the year before the lawn crews (who I don't even employ) stole most of my Keitts 30 days before they were ripe. They just looked ripe due to coloration plus (like I said) they just hang and hang for months looking nice and big but unripe! No pics unless I find some old ones because my Keitt tree decided not to fruit this year after bearing heavily last year.

The longer they hang and hang ......the more your squirrels take notice
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:18:46 PM by zands »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
Squam, I've enjoyed a small number of Beverly mangos from my tree, but have often been disappointed.

If I harvest them after that first blush of yellow, they don't seem that rich and sweet.  If I wait they seem to disappear into thin air.  Possibly critters, of the two or four-footed variety, are harvesting them on my behalf  >:(

When is the best time to pick them?  And when do you eat them? Do they develop a nice fragrance when they are ready?  Or not so much?

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »

Whoa, that was sloppy of me. Keitts take on some light purple coloration on top as they progesss. Mine do at least. And they do hang there for months ripening and tempting the honest to steal. Last year no stealing but the year before the lawn crews (who I don't even employ) stole most of my Keitts 30 days before they were ripe. They just looked ripe due to coloration plus (like I said) they just hang and hang for months looking nice and big but unripe! No pics unless I find some old ones because my Keitt tree decided not to fruit this year after bearing heavily last year.

The longer they hang and hang ......the more your squirrels take notice

A commercial grower said he likes the Keitts because you can pick em Early and they will still ripen well, unlike some of the other types.

I see so much variation in Keitts its amazing, some get a bit of color, other nothing at all. some are huge, other smallish. weird. I guess climate, and soil effect that variety a lot,
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »
5 pound Keitt from Kona Hawaii in Guiness world book of records:
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »
I planted Neelam and Beverly.  I'll let you know in a few years how they compare!  I like my buddy's Keitts, however.
John

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 07:26:05 AM »
No problem Zands, Thanks for clarifying about the color...I'm even more excited about seeing and trying my first Keitt now. I can't wait to see if they have much color or how big they get...I'm sure due to the size of my tree I don't think they will get that large...

Great picture Oscar...I hope one day I'll see one as big as those!! Amazing!

I'm one of those here that's only tried 2 or 3 of those listed on the poll...so it's hard to vote when I've only tasted so few. I might have tasted a couple more from the list...but didn't know what they were.

Squam, some of those trees are really old!

Here's my Keitt...I'm guessing late August or Sept. if they hold?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
No problem Zands, Thanks for clarifying about the color...I'm even more excited about seeing and trying my first Keitt now. I can't wait to see if they have much color or how big they get...I'm sure due to the size of my tree I don't think they will get that large...

Keitts get light purple, light red on top with maybe a blush of that on one side of it. I looked through last years Keitt photos and they were taken to early or too far away.  Keitt fruits seem to have a  variability from tree to tree. This was discussed on garden web last season and someone posted that same photo of the woman in Hawaii holding up two Keitts one was humongous. Last year I was eating the last fruits from my Keitt tree in early September.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Alexi

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »

Thanks,
Steven

That is really on a case by case basis and some of this knowledge is with the old timers who don't go on line. The Young/Tebow mango was discussed a while back and where the original tree is still going strong in Fort Lauderdale. I know who moved into the old Springfels property where the original Springfels tree is or maybe it is a son of the original. This stuff is known but if you are really curious you should start a new thread on it. What you have going against you is that the general trend in this group and at Fairchild Gardens (a major trend setter) is away from ye old school Florida mangoes and toward SE Asian, Indian, Latin American, new Zill invented varieties etc etc etc

The old Florida way was one large Haden (or other) in the backyard for mangoes and shade.  This is perfectly nice and legitimate and you can see examples of this as you drive around.  And you don't plant fruit trees in your front yard, front is for ornamentals only. The new Florida way that the people here (this online forum) like is to have 5-10 or more mango trees to extend the season and give you more tastes. More trees that are modest size instead of one huge mango shade tree. And you do have trees in front yard because you ran out of space.

This also works out for the nursery men because they sell more trees!  :) So everyone is happy all ways around  :)

Thanks,
Steven

Steven,
Many of them are and I've made a google map of where they're located. Some of the ones I know are still standing are:
Haden (109 years old), Coconut Grove
Kent, Coconut Grove
Springfels, West palm Beach
Bailey's Marvel, Bokeelia
Cogshall, Bokeelia
Florigon, Ft. Lauderdale
Eldon, Miami
Some others I suspect are still there:
Lippens or Golden Lippens, Miami
Palmer, Miami
Parvin, Bradenton
a couple others.
Some of the first  Duncan and Young trees are still standing as well in West Palm

Hi Zands and Squam,

Thanks for the info guy's...really appreciate it :) It's extrodinary to hear that the centenary mango trees are still alive in Florida.  8)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:46:36 PM by murahilin »
Time is like a river.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 12:50:15 PM »
Thanks Zands! I'm okay with it being a late variety since my other mangoes are June/July varieties.

Appreciate the Video Alexi...my Keitt definitely has that scraggly growth habit, but I've pugged it many times to try and keep it in check plus the winter has been VERY hard on my poor tree as well. Thanks!

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »
Thanks for sharing the "Old School" info Alex and Zands.

Thanks for sharing the Video Alexi.

Looks like the Keitt is winning the race so far...   :)
Adiel

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »
^You're welcome.  :)
Alexi

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »

Thanks...... Old school Florida way was one large backyard mango tree and maybe a citrus tree. The new way ties into edible landscaping and permaculture. So you don't waste your front yard on ornamentals. You have fruits and edibles, vegetables in your front and back yards. You make an effort to grow more and spend less in the supermarket. You may have a long way to go but your direction is to eating more that is home grown. So you have more fruit trees but smaller. Maybe some perennial vegetables. Bill Mollinson is the original permaculture guru, he lives in Australia

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »

Thanks...... Old school Florida way was one large backyard mango tree and maybe a citrus tree. The new way ties into edible landscaping and permaculture. So you don't waste your front yard on ornamentals. You have fruits and edibles, vegetables in your front and back yards. You make an effort to grow more and spend less in the supermarket. You may have a long way to go but your direction is to eating more that is home grown. So you have more fruit trees but smaller. Maybe some perennial vegetables. Bill Mollinson is the original permaculture guru, he lives in Australia

Zands good info.  I grew some broccoli this past winter and it did really good.
Adiel

Fiddlewood

• Zone 10a - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 06:56:50 AM »
I voted for Keitt. I wish the bars were closer to the mango names. It's hard to tell which bars go with which mango.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

Not surprising that same cultivar grown on volcanic soils is going to taste different than from limestone soils. Also our climates are different and will also have an effect on mango taste. So far the Neelam i've harvested have been small and not that great, but very late in season. I will get a better idea of what they're really like this year. BTW, that is another factor: 2 rapoza trees and one gives better fruit than the other. So if you only have one of each cultivar you definitely are not getting a clear idea of what that cultivar is really like. These taste comparisons are really a LOT more complicated than meets the eye, or the tongue.  ;)

When are your Rapoza in season, I have seen dates all over the place in reports.  i really think this variety would do well in the D.R. as a commercial variety so i am doing as much research on it as possible, also looking into Osteen, for late season, but the "later" the better.

Climate and soil are different here, although our Latitude is almost the same, i have read that Rapoza even does better in drier climate. I guess most do.  Rapoza is my front runner so far for late season, because of it many attributes including the ability keep the tree smaller.,  anything else I should know about Rapoza from your experience?
William

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
I vote for Keitt...I remember getting some from homestead about 5 yrs ago, and they were about 4lbs!

I couldn't believe how hard they stayed for longer than a week, before finally ripening!  I thought the guy who gave them to me picked them way too early for sure...I was wrong!

They somehow reminded me of mango melon/cantaloupe...maybe it was color and texture more than taste?

Keitt is a mango that is hard to finish by yourself...and not a mango you throw at your friends as a kid...unless you want to knock them out cold.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »

When are your Rapoza in season, I have seen dates all over the place in reports.  i really think this variety would do well in the D.R. as a commercial variety so i am doing as much research on it as possible, also looking into Osteen, for late season, but the "later" the better.

Climate and soil are different here, although our Latitude is almost the same, i have read that Rapoza even does better in drier climate. I guess most do.  Rapoza is my front runner so far for late season, because of it many attributes including the ability keep the tree smaller.,  anything else I should know about Rapoza from your experience?

Although Rapoza is usually classified as a late season mango the tree can flower and fruit at many different times. It has the great quality of being almost ever flowering. Here that is a big advantage because of our high rainfall. So the tree can "pick" a dry short interval to set fruits without too much anthracnose. Often there will also be fruits at many different stages of development on the tree.
I noticed on the mango info sheet on the forum someone has made the comment that Hawaii dwarf might be another name for Rapoza, but this is incorrect. This tree is not at all dwarf.
About our latitudes, they are quite different. Miami is around 25 North and we are 19 North.
Oscar

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 11:17:57 AM »
I've got the Lancetilla.  The fruit gets very large. 4 to 5 pounds.  It tastes good. However, is not a commercial variety as it breaks down too quickly and is susceptible to softnose. 

Also, like mentioned the longer the fruit hang the greater chance that it gets stolen by man or rodent.  LOL.    I don't get to experience late season mango very often!   

I don't have a keitt but wish I did as I think that is the best late season mango.     I see Kent on the list. Isn't that more of a mid-season (for Florida)  If it is considered late, then that is the best one, followed by keitt.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
I've got the Lancetilla.  The fruit gets very large. 4 to 5 pounds.  It tastes good. However, is not a commercial variety as it breaks down too quickly and is susceptible to softnose. 

Also, like mentioned the longer the fruit hang the greater chance that it gets stolen by man or rodent.  LOL.    I don't get to experience late season mango very often!   

I don't have a keitt but wish I did as I think that is the best late season mango.     I see Kent on the list. Isn't that more of a mid-season (for Florida)  If it is considered late, then that is the best one, followed by keitt.
I would say Kents can vary.  While they can be seen harvested in tghe latter parts of midseason I have also seen them right up near the midle to latter portion of late season...however I would not say they are the latest.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »

Although Rapoza is usually classified as a late season mango the tree can flower and fruit at many different times. It has the great quality of being almost ever flowering. Here that is a big advantage because of our high rainfall. So the tree can "pick" a dry short interval to set fruits without too much anthracnose. Often there will also be fruits at many different stages of development on the tree.
I noticed on the mango info sheet on the forum someone has made the comment that Hawaii dwarf might be another name for Rapoza, but this is incorrect. This tree is not at all dwarf.
About our latitudes, they are quite different. Miami is around 25 North and we are 19 North.
I have had both what is called "Dwarf Hawaiian" and Rapoza.  The DH I have has have been late early season to midseason and have been nothing special.  The Rapoza I had last year from Zills was in the latter portion of the mango season and was decent flavor wise.  I think it was picked a little early so I have a feeling it has a chance to be better than what I tasted.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »

I have had both what is called "Dwarf Hawaiian" and Rapoza.  The DH I have has have been late early season to midseason and have been nothing special.  The Rapoza I had last year from Zills was in the latter portion of the mango season and was decent flavor wise.  I think it was picked a little early so I have a feeling it has a chance to be better than what I tasted.

I'm thinking that this is another Florida invention. There is no variety here called Dwarf Hawaiian, at least i've never seen it.  ???
Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
@ fruitlovers

I am in the Dominican Republic, at around 18 deg. 

So really the only way to know how Rapoza will do here is to plant one I guess :)  On my next trip to the US,  I will be ordering some scions from you, I already have a list ready, but will be months away. 

Our climate is similar to S. Fla. in that ( normally ) we have a dry winter, with rains starting in the spring. but in the area I plan on growing mango its semi arid all year round and is considered prime for commercial mango farms.
William

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »
@ fruitlovers

I am in the Dominican Republic, at around 18 deg. 

So really the only way to know how Rapoza will do here is to plant one I guess :)  On my next trip to the US,  I will be ordering some scions from you, I already have a list ready, but will be months away. 

Our climate is similar to S. Fla. in that ( normally ) we have a dry winter, with rains starting in the spring. but in the area I plan on growing mango its semi arid all year round and is considered prime for commercial mango farms.

From the sounds of it the Rapoza will do better where you are than here. If you make an order please give me lots of lead time, with exact dates you will be in USA.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 11:29:23 PM »
From the sounds of it the Rapoza will do better where you are than here. If you make an order please give me lots of lead time, with exact dates you will be in USA

Will do. thank you.
William

snookdogg

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »
What about Cushman?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »
What about Cushman?
Excellent mango but not late season.  Cushman is a mid season mango.
- Rob

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
Name your favorite Late season Mango
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2014, 11:41:31 AM »
Name your favorite Late season Mango. 

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »

Keitt is still the only late variety I have and I really love them...I enjoy them through Oct.

This was taken end of May...

I took these pics today...starting to size up. I found these Clamshells that are very deep. It had Kiwis and sometimes 2 lbs of grapes in them...so they are about 2" deeper than the strawberry size ones. It comes in handy for the Keitts since they are the largest mango I have...

I

Dexter_FTG

• Friends dont let friends eat a Tommy Atkins!
    • Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »
I've had most of the mangos on the list. And my favorite is keitt. Simply because as many have said on this forum, they will keep getting bigger the longer you can stand them being on the tree. Around here it is like playing Russian roulette with the birds.

To echo Zands: The house I bought a couple years ago has a huge Keitt in the backyard. It probably is around 40 ft tall. Great shade tree, and bears a ton of mangos. They hang seemingly forever. And they can be picked super green and still ripen and be delicious. Of course I've added a handful of other, smaller mango trees, but the Keitt is still one of my all around favorites.
Mango: the other white meat

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2014, 01:15:12 AM »
I've had most of the mangos on the list. And my favorite is keitt. Simply because as many have said on this forum, they will keep getting bigger the longer you can stand them being on the tree. Around here it is like playing Russian roulette with the birds.

To echo Zands: The house I bought a couple years ago has a huge Keitt in the backyard. It probably is around 40 ft tall. Great shade tree, and bears a ton of mangos. They hang seemingly forever. And they can be picked super green and still ripen and be delicious. Of course I've added a handful of other, smaller mango trees, but the Keitt is still one of my all around favorites.

Commercial growers have been planting them in droves here on the island, so many factors, disease resistance, productivity, size, flavor, and the ability to ship well, and take thermal treatments well.  and long shelf life.  and as you mentioned, you can pick them at any time during their mature green stage and they will ripen well, as long as the shoulders have filled out.

At our latitude, KN03 applications are very effective at stimulating flowering,  so if you have a naturally late mango like Keitt, the grower has the option to stimulate flowers at different times, so he could make Keitt an Early variety or mid.   or even stagger his harvest.     personally I still think the quality of late season Keitts taste better.   
William