Author Topic: My tiny Pacific Island and our mangoes... :P  (Read 10035 times)

Adacaosky

• View Profile
My tiny Pacific Island and our mangoes... :P
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:40:44 AM »
 ;DHi everyone :) Warm greetings from the island of Guam in the Western Pacific Ocean. Just thought I would share some pics of the mango festival held this past weekend. It was hosted by the town of Agat, located in the southern end of Guam and is situated along  the ocean. Mangoes of Guam are varied and many have origins from around the world, being imported by the multicultural ethnic group which calls the island home. There are many unnamed varieties and tons of cultivar variations for such a tiny island. I suppose this happens when almost everyone loves mangoes and monoembryonic seeds are planted out in the yard. Sorry I can't name any of the mangoes with certainty... they are almost entirely random seeds from great fruit which a family planted out in the yard. There are a few named varieties which the local Dept. of Agriculture has promoted and these are recognizable to most on the forum--but they are few and far between. The cutivars I recall being released to residents are Altaulfo, Duncan, Edward, Madame Francis, Van Dyke, Pico, and Carabao. The actual cultivars which I ran into at the festival are Lancetilla, Nam Doc Mai, Elephant, Edward, R2E2, Carabao, Pico, Peach, and Haden. Interestingly, I purchased a "Carabao/Haden" cross. It looked like a large carabao with golden skin but was juicy and stringy like a Haden. An interesting note to tie it all together: signs with the mangoes in baskets are the donor's last or first name and the town they live in. No names given because they are still an unnamed cultivar.... Overall, there were about three cultivars which were the intentional result of a breeding program by one of the local farmers. He was sure to put a sticker on the fruit for those interested in knowing what the cross was. I hope you enjoy the pics from my humble island and our tiny mango festival!!

Cheers!
Chris
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:08:04 AM by Adacaosky »
✌🏽

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: My tiny Pacific Island and our mangoes... :P
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 03:51:10 AM »
Very nice!  Wish we had a festival like that in Fiji.  Thanks for sharing.

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
That looks better than the famous Fairchild mango festival. Guam is the mango superpower of US Pacific ocean territories, possessions and states. Hawaii must take a back seat to you guys. Very nice photos, looks like you have lots of mango fanatics on your islands

Lots of Philippine Carabao mangoes in your photos plus good looking avocados. Russel?

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:23:11 AM »
 :o :o  ;D ;D

Zands,

I would never take it that far! I'm very certain we don't have the pull, expertise, nor clout that any of the FL or HI institutions/organizations have....by a long shot. The Agat mango festival was/is mostly coordinated by the town mayor. Population: 6,000. LOL! At the moment, the most we have going for us is mother nature and her tendency to sprout almost all mango seeds that someone chucks on moist land. The occasional Cat 5 hurricane may pug a tree or two for us every few years.  :P Thanks for the compliments, though!
On another note, the Agat town council formed a sisterhood with Guimaras, Philippines and have been sharing ideas for both mango festivals. Cool beans! Interestingly, Carabao mangoes here (flavor-wise) run from lemons to orange ice cream to fruity and floral notes. Such delicious variance. That goes for size as well.  ???

John,

You can be the catalyst of change! Fiji is definitely your oyster. Good luck on your up-and-coming orchard in neighboring Fiji!  8) 8)

Cheers!
Chris
✌🏽

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
I have only two words to say.....Field Trip!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
Hi Chris,

AWESOME 8) I really enjoyed seeing your slice of paradise 8) and of course the mangos ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for taking the time to post them pics :).

Regards,
Steven
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »
Wow Chris, what beautiful photos!  One of my old college roommates is Chamorro and lives on Guam with his family, you've given me even one more reason to go visit.

-Ethan

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »
The Agat mango festival was/is mostly coordinated by the town mayor. Population: 6,000. LOL!

Hey, never underestimate what a small town can pull off  :)  One of my favorite music festivals here in Iceland is held in a town of only 130 people, lol! 

Overall we've got about twice as many people as you but 200 times the land area; even our medium-sized glaciers are bigger than Guam, lol!  But you totally beat us hands down on the mangos  ;)  Delish!
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 12:09:04 PM »
Great photos , looks like it was a fun event.

What variety was that mango, labeled "biggest mango" ?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »
That's a great looking bunch, thank you for taking your time and to share with us.  What a beautiful place to host this event as well  ;D
Tim

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
Looks great. Now I need to find time to go to Guam!

Bill

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.  :) :) The mango festival is one of a series of festivals hosted by different towns (villages) across the island. Each festival is unique and showcases a different fruit. I'm not exactly sure which specific fruits but I do recall a banana festival and a hot pepper festival. We islanders are equally as passionate for hot peppers as we are for mangoes. LOL! I missed the others but will be sure to attend them next year.  ;D

KarenRei,

Oh, wow!!! That puts everything into perspective for sure. LOL! Your comment "even our medium-sized glaciers are bigger than Guam" --had me laughing at the thought!  :o ;D ;D And to think Guam has the largest land mass out of all the Micronesian Islands in the Western Pacific. My Vietnamese friend looked up Guam one day and she initially thought there was a dust particle on her computer screen when the results came up. Hilarious!  ;D ;D ;D

Ethan,

Considering just how small the overall Chamorro population is in the world, that is amazing! It's a small world after all, indeed.  ;) 8)
I'm almost sure that the old timers around here know/can trace his "clan" and lineage to a certain degree, based solely on his last name. Sadly, the art of lineage tracing is fast disappearing.  :P 8)

Chris
✌🏽

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »
I still cook cut-n-pica and fin-a-deni for my family.  When my roommate graduated, his parents threw a party and roasted a pig a COVERED a large fold up table with Chamorro food, amazing!

-Ethan

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »
Do people in Guam drive around in really small cars? The keys next to that 'Biggest Mango' look tiny! ;D

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 01:19:50 AM »
Tropicdude,

I inquired about the cultivars on the table and the nice lady behind the display table said she honestly hadn't a clue because the donors didn't have names for them either.  ??? ???  The most likely reason behind this is that traditionally, seeds were the primary method of cultivation for hundreds of years on the island. Presently, the majority of trees are from seed, which accounts for many of these unnamed backyard varieties. Especially if it is a monoembryonic seeds, the characteristics are almost sure to change with each seed planted out.

Ethan,

That is amazing! I love kadon' pika! A classic island dish which never seems to let you down.  ;D ;D Speaking of fina'dene, I just had it this afternoon! Doesn't it taste good with almost anything?! LOL! Keep on cookin'!!

BMc,
     Actually, you uncovered the truth behind my photo-shopped pic. The biggest mango you refer to could easily fit into the palm of my hand and cars here seat one. LOL! LOL!  ;D ;D

Chris
✌🏽

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 02:59:05 AM »
Looks like a real nice event. Thanks for sharing all tne photos you took, enjoyed seeing them.
Oscar

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum!

OMG...I lived in Guam for 6 years when I was just a child and absolutely love it there! That is where I learned to eat Pickle papaya, green mangoes with salt/hot peppers. Love your Chicken kelaguen and finadeni (sp)? I'm sure I've botched up some of the spelling,lol...Guamanians sure know how to throw a BBQ and party!! One of the Best food you'll ever taste.

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and bringing back very fond memories of that beautiful little island!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »
Amazing story and photos.  Now I must add Guam to my places to visit list, right below Fiji.  Please invite me next year to the festival!  :)  ;D

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »
Oscar,

No problem :) I think the best part besides sampling all those different mangoes was to see the local kids displaying their talents on stage. We had the middle school band playing 80's & 90's music! Back-up singers and all. LOL! Way to bridge the generation gaps. Everyone had such a great time. 8) 8)

Puglvr1,

You've got to be kidding me! That is amazing to hear! LOL!  ;D ;D   Well, "Hafa Adai" and glad to extend a warm virtual visit back to tiny little tropical Guam! Even if you've been away for a bit, you haven't missed a beat in spelling or otherwise. I'll be sure to keep the pics flowing every now-and-then as events happen here on our little island in the sun. It gives me the warm and fuzzies to know a former resident is on the forum and for a while, I might add.  8) 8) Super cool!

Future,

You are more than welcome to stop by on your world travels! Agat Mango festival is held every second weekend of June, which coincides with the climax of our mango season, more or less. If you ever do venture out to Fiji and the Western Pacific, don't forget to bring your dive gear. World class diving! But you already knew that.  8)  ;D

Chris
✌🏽

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »
I used to live in Agana...my Aunt used to have a small dress shop many years ago. It is a small world isn't it?

By any chance if you ever come across Hoya  platycaulis lmk...I've been searching for this variety and its suppose to be native to the Philippines which is just a stone's throwaway from you  :) Please lmk?

One of these days I would love to come visit Guam again...

"Hafa Adai"  to you as well!

Nancy

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
Nancy,

Yes, indeed! It is a small world after all.  ;D ;D  The Flat Stem Hoya seems conspicuous enough. Not a problem! I'll keep my eyes peeled the next time I venture out to the island flea markets and plant nurseries  :D  ;D The hunt is on!

Chris
✌🏽

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
CHRIS - these ARE the most amazing variety I've ever seen of mangos at a festival!
Thanks for taking the time to do this.  I mean, it's a rainbow of colors and I imagine
tastes....

Are you a transplanted American...European.....born there????

Like someone else said, a splendid place to time a field trip to - wonder how many hours
of flying time it is from the U.S. to Guam.....

Is it now independant or still an American Protectorate (or whatever category I've heard it called)?

Thanks, Again....Gary of the SW Desert

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
Thanks Chris!! Actually as much as I would love to have one...I'm guessing it won't survive the many days it would take to get here  :(...but it would be be fun to see if they're available there. 

Mangofang, Guam is a US territory...much like Puerto Rico. When I lived in the Philippines it took about 3 hours by plane to Guam and another 7 1/2 hours to Hawaii if memory serves...its been a very long time since that took place.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:36:01 PM by puglvr1 »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
There used to be a very nice mango festival here for years, but the organizers moved or something? I used to go there to sell my mango trees. Now have to go all the way to Kona for a festival, 6 hour drive round trip, so i never go. Gas is close to $5 a gallon, so just not worth it.
I haven't been to Guam but would love to see it some day, heard it's very beautiful. For you members in continental USA it's good to combine a trip to Guam with a stop in Hawaii. LA to Hawaii is a little over 5 hour flight. The 7 1/2 hours from Hawaii to Guam sounds right. If you want to go whole hog you can continue from Guam to Japan, which i guess is only a short flight from Guam?
So many beautiful islands to see, so little time, only one life!
Oscar

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »
MangoFang,

Nancy's right on the money with her response of Guam being a US Territory. I'm a native of these islands and a US citizen at the same time. Through an act of Congress in the 60's, all native Chamorros/Guamanians here on Guam were granted US citizenship.  ;)  As far as flavours, we all know how variable mangoes can taste. Among the more interesting flavours I've come across this mango season were: orange, cream, lemon, honey, turpentine, tangerine, coconut, jasmine, MILK, and "flowers." Some of the more complex notes escape my vocabulary at the moment.  :o :o

Nancy,

I have had plants shipped from Pine Island, FL on several occasions, and they did arrive alive (although barely, since they were bare-rooted). If you change your mind, just let me know and maybe we can arrange a trade?  ;D ;D

Fruitlovers,

How unfortunate that the organizers moved away! I can relate with you on those outrageous gas prices! It's $4.69 here as we type and a couple of months ago it was $4.97/gal. Sheesh! If you do make it here someday, keep in mind that we're a bit smaller than Moloka'i in land area, so it's a wee tiny island. If you get bored, there's always amazing wreck diving in the neighboring islands of Chuuk or Palau. LOL!  ;D ;D BTW, I have several plant species which I sourced from you. They all are doing beautifully! Thanks a ton!

Chris
✌🏽

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk