Author Topic: Keitt seedling does the unthinkable!  (Read 3094 times)

Adacaosky

• View Profile
Keitt seedling does the unthinkable!
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share an interesting observation on a Keitt seedling tree fruit I came across here on the island. As we all know, monoembryonic seeds-- when grown, can take on different characteristics from the original parent. At the mango festival this past weekend, I came across a large, round, dk. green/olive mango weighing over 2 lbs/1 kilo. I thought they were quite unattractive but were practically disease free to their credit. The vendor said she grew the seed herself from a Mexican Keitt and picked the fruits fresh from her tree specifically for the festival. It wasn't ripe at the time of purchase, so I waited....

This morning, I had the Keitt seedling fruit for breakfast. WOOW!  :o :o  Each bite was full of sweet lemon candy (typical Keitt) balanced nicely by smooth, rich, and delicious coconut. In between the two powerhouse notes, I tasted a playful, rich, fruity flavour that was most intense near the skin and which overtook the sweet lemon candy flavour in intensity. I don't know if this is typical of tree-ripe Keitts, as I've never had a tree-ripened Keitt yet. If this flavour profile is indeed of a typical Keitt, then this seedling fruit did not fall far from the tree.

Most interesting to me was the fruiting season of this seedling. Fruits ready by early/mid June... For a Keitt seedling? Go figure!

Chris

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:35:26 PM by Adacaosky »
✌🏽

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Keitt seedling does the unthinkable!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share an interesting observation on a Keitt seedling tree fruit I came across here on the island. As we all know, monoembryonic seeds-- when grown, can take on different characteristics from the original parent. At the mango festival this past weekend, I came across a large, round, dk. green/olive mango weighing over 2 lbs/1 kilo. I thought they were quite unattractive but were practically disease free to their credit. The vendor said she grew the seed herself from a Mexican Keitt and picked the fruits fresh from her tree specifically for the festival. It wasn't ripe at the time of purchase, so I waited....

This morning, I had the Keitt seedling fruit for breakfast. WOOW!  :o :o  Each bite was full of sweet lemon candy (typical Keitt) balanced nicely by smooth, rich, and delicious coconut. In between the two powerhouse notes, I tasted a playful, rich, fruity flavour that was most intense near the skin and which overtook the sweet lemon candy flavour in intensity. I don't know if this is typical of tree-ripe Keitts, as I've never had a tree-ripened Keitt yet. If this flavour profile is indeed of a typical Keitt, then this seedling fruit did not fall far from the tree.

Most interesting to me was the fruiting season of this seedling. Fruits ready by early/mid June... For a Keitt seedling? Go figure!

Chris

Not typical of a Keitt flavor profile.  The shape also looks to be a little more round than an actual Keitt.  Now, just cause its a seedling does not mean it is bad.  Your description actually sounds better to me than a typical Keitt which I am not very fond of.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »
Wonder if it really was from a Keitt, or was it already a seedling of a seedling of a Keitt, or maybe even another cultivar altogether? I personally don't put too much trust in what others report as they so often get it wrong or are confused.
Anyway, whatever it is main thing is you like it!!  :D
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:21:40 AM »
When one looks at all the different varieties of mangoes that were seedlings of Haden for example, one wonders how they could have come from that tree, as many look so different.

The Keitt parent in this case may have crossed with another tree variety, but although it looks a little different than a Keitt, its really not that far off. Keitts seem have a lot of variation in size.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:37:48 AM »
Variety called "Mexican Keitt"?  Never heard of it...... But internet seems to indicate it is a regular old Keitt grown in Mexico for export to USA. If the fruit is so good maybe you can graft and propagate it

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
Zands,

Sorry for the misleading statement. I really meant to say it was a Mexico grown Keitt. As in a boiled and shipped all over the world supermarket mango. lol! :P It was a great mango and would like to ask for scions but I probably won't see her any time soon because she was a fruit vendor at a festival held annually.

Oscar & Tropicdude,

You both have valid points. I cannot confirm the actual parentage of this supposed Keitt seedling and even if it was, who knows how it would look anyways.  All bets off at that point. :o ;D ;) Point taken: a good mango is a good mango, period.  8) 8)

Chris
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:09:39 AM by Adacaosky »
✌🏽

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »
"This morning, I had the Keitt seedling fruit for breakfast. WOOW!     Each bite was full of sweet lemon candy (typical Keitt) balanced nicely by smooth, rich, and delicious coconut. In between the two powerhouse notes, I tasted a playful, rich, fruity flavour that was most intense near the skin and which overtook the sweet lemon candy flavour in intensity."

Chris, for the category of most enticing description of a mango, you win hands down.

Consider it your duty to live and prosper long enough to find this vendor, graft the tree, and share it with the world.  :)

After all, few of us get the chance to make the world a better place.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:51:43 PM by mangomandan »