Author Topic: What Mamey Varieties are you growing in Florida?  (Read 29965 times)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What Mamey Varieties are you growing in Florida?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »
Nice tree Alexi.   :)

Adiel

Thanks Adiel.  :)
Alexi

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics, very nice tree!  :)

Looks like your soil is almost sand. How do your other Pouterias perform in that soil?

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2012, 02:26:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics, very nice tree!  :)

Looks like your soil is almost sand. How do your other Pouterias perform in that soil?

Thanks Felipe.  :)

They seem to be performing well. Both of my pace mameys have small fruits on them. The smaller one has even more fruits. I mixed miracle gro soil into the sand surrounding the root ball of all of my mamey trees and the canistel. 
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »
http://gradworks.umi.com/14/68/1468651.html

"Twenty-six accessions of mamey sapote (Pouteria sapota [Jacq.] H. E. Moore & Stearn) from the USDA-ARS TARS (Tropical Agricultural Research Station) collection growing at Isabela, Puerto Rico were evaluated for both horticultural and agronomic traits over a 21-month harvest period (May, 2007 through January, 2009). Production (number and weight of fruit per tree) was highest in the summer months (May to August) in 77% of the accessions, whereas 23% of the accessions had their highest production in either the winter or springtime months (December to April). 'Viejo' was among the most productive accessions, producing 134 fruits per tree over the 21-month harvest period, followed by 'Adelantado #2' which produced 94 fruits per tree. However, 'Viejo' had the lowest production of fruit per tree in terms of weight because of its small average fruit size. Accessions exhibited various fruit shapes as indicated by a length/diameter ratio that varied from 1.10 (globular) to 1.71 (elliptical). Skin texture was generally coarse to very coarse, 'Tazumal' being the exception with smooth exocarp. Pulp accounted for 72.9 (in 'Alejos') to 88.0% (in 'Maga?a') of the total fruit weight. Seeds varied in number (from an average of 1.1 to 2.3 seeds per fruit) and length. However, there was little to no difference in seed weight and diameter. Percent soluble solids measured as ?Brix varied from 18.70 ('Viejo') to 27.70 ('Felipe Mayo') indicating a wide range in fruit quality among accessions. Pulp color, especially as measured by luminosity (L*) and hue angle, varied greatly among accessions. 'Maga?a', in particular, had pulp that was a bright orangish-yellow color (L* = 64.95 and hue angle = 52.29), while 'Viejo' was at the other extreme with a dark red color (L* = 39.06 and hue angle = 35.40). Based on the analysis carried out, this collection includes accessions with potential use in breeding programs, as well as accessions that could be used directly by industry either for fresh processed fruit."
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
That's interesting, Alexi. That's what Julian Lara said about the viejo - that it wasn't as sweet as the others.

Yikes! It's 37$ to download a copy of the study.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:32:06 PM by jeffhagen »
Jeff  :-)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
That's interesting, Alexi. That's what Julian Lara said about the viejo - that it wasn't as sweet as the others.

What video did Julian talk about viejo?  ???  Anways, UF rates the taste of viejo as excellent, so I guess it should have some sweetness to it.  :)
Alexi

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »

What video did Julian talk about viejo?  ???  Anways, UF rates the taste of viejo as excellent, so I guess it should have some sweetness to it.  :)

We will see, Alexi!  I planted mine today.  I'm content with the fact that it's one of the smallest mamey trees. :)  My wife thinks it's some weird fruit tree I planted.  I guess a jackfruit would really freak her out!
John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »
It wasn't from a video, just personal communication with Julian. The report you mention also says that the viejo had the least brix of all tested, so it backs up what Julian had told me. Those UF reports aren't always very reliable :-(.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:39:43 PM by jeffhagen »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 08:27:02 PM »

We will see, Alexi!  I planted mine today.  I'm content with the fact that it's one of the smallest mamey trees. :)  My wife thinks it's some weird fruit tree I planted.  I guess a jackfruit would really freak her out!

Yup.  :) Did you notice the seed shell that was on the dirt of your mamey tree?

Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »
It wasn't from a video, just personal communication with Julian. The report you mention also says that the viejo had the least brix of all tested, so it backs up what Julian had told me. Those UF reports aren't always very reliable :-(.

You're right. They aren't always reliable.  :(  Have you tasted a viejo mamey?

If nobody else tasted it in this forum, it looks like John and I will be the first ones to review this fruit.  :)
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:11 PM »
I've never had it.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »
Alexi, I just planted a Viejo now too.  I also agree that it is an excellent choice especially just the fact that it is in the UF list as recommended.  And also, like you mentioned Alexi, it is precocious.  I think it has really been overlooked as a potential commercial variety because of its small size.  But for the backyard planting, it is a great addition.

From what I can see, it looks well worth having a "Viejo" mamey if you have space.  (And if you already have a pantin or pace).  It looks like it fruits in December!  That would be great! Because the other varieties have the following fruiting schedule:

Pantin: July-Aug
Magaña: April-May
Pace: March-April
Viejo: Dec   <<==awesome because it fruits when the others don't !! ==>>

Its a NICE looking small fruit which just like a green sapote, you can eat the whole thing at once:

A third thing I see from the UF Document, it says it taste excellent and its a nice deep red color flesh.  According to the document, it is a good option if you have the main varieties already.  What more can you ask right?  :)

Source: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg331

Adiel
Adiel

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »
Alexi, I just planted a Viejo now too.  I also agree that it is an excellent choice especially just the fact that it is in the UF list as recommended.  And also, like you mentioned Alexi, it is precocious.  I think it has really been overlooked as a potential commercial variety because of its small size.  But for the backyard planting, it is a great addition.

From what I can see, it looks well worth having a "Viejo" mamey if you have space.  (And if you already have a pantin or pace).  It looks like it fruits in December!  That would be great! Because the other varieties have the following fruiting schedule:

Pantin: July-Aug
Magaña: April-May
Pace: March-April
Viejo: Dec   <<==awesome because it fruits when the others don't !! ==>>

Its a NICE looking small fruit which just like a green sapote, you can eat the whole thing at once:

A third thing I see from the UF Document, it says it taste excellent and its a nice deep red color flesh.  According to the document, it is a good option if you have the main varieties already.  What more can you ask right?  :)

Source: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg331

Adiel

:) Being precocious and having mature fruits while other trees are done giving fruits were the big main reasons I bought a viejo mamey. My viejo mamey already had a few flowers which were knocked off during transportation and planting.  :( Oh well. The tree was too small and skinny anyways.  When I was talking with Julian about mamey varieties, I mentioned that I was looking for a precocious mamey. He mentioned that pace was the most precocious mamey tree, which I agree cause my 4 ft tall pace already has lots of developing fruit on it. One of them being the size of a small grape. We also talked about how pantin can take many years to give fruit. During that conversation, he told me that there's another variety that takes even longer than pantin, which is called Florida.  He also mentioned another variety called "Cepeda Special". That one is also pretty precocious and has a nice tasty red flesh.
Alexi

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
Good info Alexi.  How is the fertilization plan on your mameys?

Adiel
Adiel

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
Nice healthy tree Alexi, congrats.

-Ethan

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
Nice healthy tree Alexi, congrats.

-Ethan

Thanks Ethan.  :)
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2012, 04:22:23 PM »

Adiel

No fertilizer.  :) Well, I used osmocote slow release indoor/outdoor plant food a few months back. A couple of weekends ago, I dug out the native soil from top portion of the root ball of both of my pace mamey trees and mixed in a 50/50 ratio of native soil with miracle gro flower/vegetable garden soil. Basically used one whole bag for each tree. It contains manure, spagnum moss, wood chips, compost and slow release fertilizer pellets. The compost aspect of the soil helps the beneficial bugs and microbes to thrive in the soil surrounding the tree.  I prepped the soil right before planting the viejo mamey. It's a 4 ft area of 50/50 soil mix in which I planted the viejo mamey into. The soil is suppose to feed the tree for up to 3 months.
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2012, 09:14:37 PM »

Adiel

I just bought this also. http://www.kelp4less.com/compare-to-great-white-4-oz-fungi-bacteria-inoculan4.html
I'm going to use it on all of my fruit trees, including the mameys.
Alexi

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
Was at TREC a week ago and Dr. Crane mentioned one of the mamey trees was producing fruit for the first time. I believe this was the one labelled '#9998' and was planted there in the 90s. Can't remember where Crane introduced it from, want to say Guatamala.

After testing some of the fruit I found one on the tree that was mature and picked it. So perhaps this is the first 'taste test' of #9998. It ripened yesterday and I ate half of it last night and ate the rest today.

Flavor was pretty good (though I've never had a bad mamey). Taste was slightly milder than Pantin I think but still very enjoyable.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
Looks like a nice tasty mamey. 

I have yet to have a bad mamey also. I enjoy all of them, including the "inferior" maganas.  :)
Alexi

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »
Alex, that mamey has a nice color to it.
Adiel

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2012, 10:57:45 PM »
Besides the mamey-sapote variety collections already mentioned, Fairchild Tropical Gardens' fruit evaluation property by the Montgomery Botanical Center, has, or at least used to have, over a dozen selections made by "Maestro' Eduardo Marín of Oxkutzcab, Yucatán, México, which were brought to Florida by Gary Zill [I was along as translator, five trips, mid 1980's thru 1990's.].

In most cases we listened to Marín's descriptions, then bought his grafted plants and introduced them to Florida through the USDA quarantine procedures, and then they were grown for evaluation at Zill's and Fairchild and Puerto Rico.

Varieties that I remember with pleasure having eaten at Marín's house were 'Lorito' and 'Marin.'  Both were top quality flavor, at least as good as 'Pantin.'  Both had perfect texture and deep red pulp.  "Marín' was longer than 'Pantin.'  'Lorito' was a smaller oval fruit, nice size for a couple of servings.  "Lorito," which means "Parrot," was the nickname of the owner of the original seedling tree, because he rarely stopped talking!

Some of the varieties already mentioned in this thread were among these introductions, such as 'Alejo,' 'Cepeda Especial,' and 'Felipe Mayo.'

Another of that group of introductions, I forget the name,  that I ate at Zill's, had purple pulp.
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2012, 11:04:58 PM »
Besides the mamey-sapote variety collections already mentioned, Fairchild Tropical Gardens' fruit evaluation property by the Montgomery Botanical Center, has, or at least used to have, over a dozen selections made by "Maestro' Eduardo Marín of Oxkutzcab, Yucatán, México, which were brought to Florida by Gary Zill [I was along as translator, five trips, mid 1980's thru 1990's.].

In most cases we listened to Marín's descriptions, then bought his grafted plants and introduced them to Florida through the USDA quarantine procedures, and then they were grown for evaluation at Zill's and Fairchild and Puerto Rico.

Varieties that I remember with pleasure having eaten at Marín's house were 'Lorito' and 'Marin.'  Both were top quality flavor, at least as good as 'Pantin.'  Both had perfect texture and deep red pulp.  "Marín' was longer than 'Pantin.'  'Lorito' was a smaller oval fruit, nice size for a couple of servings.  "Lorito," which means "Parrot," was the nickname of the owner of the original seedling tree, because he rarely stopped talking!

Some of the varieties already mentioned in this thread were among these introductions, such as 'Alejo,' 'Cepeda Especial,' and 'Felipe Mayo.'

Another of that group of introductions, I forget the name,  that I ate at Zill's, had purple pulp.
Now you've done it...
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2012, 12:38:31 AM »

Great info Har!  :) Mamey with purple pulp?  ???

Do you know what the season of Lorito is?
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2012, 01:46:08 AM »
Har, do you remember if the purple pulped mamey was good tasting? What ever happened to all these selections?
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk