Author Topic: What kind of Garcinia??  (Read 1588 times)

adhyt_blank

• Central Borneo, Indonesia,
    • View Profile
What kind of Garcinia??
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »
hi all ... I need ID for Garcinia type. Maybe someone can help me?
Little information, I found this wild mangosteen growing along the river, even they are able to live submerged in the lake water, has a fresh sour taste. Because of the little info I got so I initially guessed it was Garcinia malaccensis.

And then someone who bought seeds from me hesitated then asked me if I actually sell Malaccensis seeds. I honestly do not dare to confirm whether it is G. malaccensis.

Finally I asked Ir. Rismita Sari, MSc. ( Researcher at Plant Conservation Center Bogor Botanical Garden LIPI ), experts from the Bogor Botanical Gardens because in there have a collection of garcinia malaccensis there and I am waiting for an answer from them. Unexpectedly, they also found the same fruit in Locations adjacent to what I found and until now they have not been able to identify the scientific name of them. They promise to do a DNA study and will confirm, for a while they call it with Garcinia sp. They say and suspect that the garcinia sp is closely related to garcinia malaccensis.

I deeply apologize to everyone who ever brought this seed from me because maybe I have been wrong guessing the name of the species...

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:32:20 PM by adhyt_blank »
Thank You and Best Regards,
Adhyt

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of Garcinia??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:09:47 PM »
Do you feel that it is similar to "Garcinia speciosa" (or "Garcinia hombroniana") from Thailand?

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »
The leaves of the seedlings from the seeds he has supplied as G.malaccensis are too narrow to be G.hombroniana or G.malaccensis. Looks more like G.wightii.

adhyt_blank

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
Do you feel that it is similar to "Garcinia speciosa" (or "Garcinia hombroniana") from Thailand?

I am very sure that the shape of the fruit is different, mine does not have a bulge at the end of the fruit. Maybe they are different species or from the same species but different varieties.
Adhyt

adhyt_blank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »
The leaves of the seedlings from the seeds he has supplied as G.malaccensis are too narrow to be G.hombroniana or G.malaccensis. Looks more like G.wightii.

yes yes yes ... I know they look like this when it starts to grow...

But believe me that leaves will change just like this when trees grow up...

Sorry, I can say like that because myself who took the fruit, ate, took and cleaned the seeds and then planted them.
Adhyt

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:36:40 PM »
Is the above photo of the leaf taken by you, of the same tree from which you sold the seeds? Since G. mangostana is descended from G.malaccensis, the leaves of the seedling G.malaccensis, should look like the leaves of seedling G.mangostana, which are well rounded!!!

adhyt_blank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 01:39:10 AM »
Is the above photo of the leaf taken by you, of the same tree from which you sold the seeds? Since G. mangostana is descended from G.malaccensis, the leaves of the seedling G.malaccensis, should look like the leaves of seedling G.mangostana, which are well rounded!!!

Do you think I do not really take photos of trees by myself? You do not have to doubt that, even I have a video when I travel to take it. I will soon upload the video and give you a link. Of course I sell the fruit from the tree equally, I will not be able to trouble myself by lying... ;)
Adhyt