Author Topic: Growing Macadamia Nuts  (Read 19921 times)

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Growing Macadamia Nuts
« on: July 20, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »
I am thinking of getting a macadamia nut tree. I am wondering what the opinions are of others growing them. Are they that much trouble to process to get to eat the nuts? I read about one with a paper thin shell, but the name eludes me at the moment. What are the better tasting ones? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Macadamia Nuts
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 01:44:57 PM »
I am thinking of getting a macadamia nut tree. I am wondering what the opinions are of others growing them. Are they that much trouble to process to get to eat the nuts? I read about one with a paper thin shell, but the name eludes me at the moment. What are the better tasting ones? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
They are easy to grow and a beautiful tree...however as far as harvesting the nuts, despite what some may say, I feel it may be easier and more economical to purchase them.  I have found it is a royal pain in the Arkin  ;) ;D.

From ECHO:
"Macadamia is a moderately hardy tree for south Florida and produces a very high quality nut in one to five years. ECHO sells air-layered trees that are capable of producing nuts one year after propagation. The tree does not require high soil fertility, but will probably need granular or foliar micronutrient sprays of zinc, iron, and manganese (take care not to over fertilize). Good soil drainage is also required. Mature trees can withstand 25-26ºF for short periods with minor damage to the foliage. Young trees and foliage are very tender and are killed very near freezing. Temperatures of 27º F and lower damages flowers and young fruit, reducing production. Nuts can be cracked open using a PVC cutter or after roasting. To roast, simply place nuts, shells included, on a cookie sheet in the oven at 300º F for 15 minutes. Turn oven off and let nuts cool inside on tray. Kernels will shrink some and shell will become brittle and easy to crack. A few mature macadamia trees are located in the arboretum.

'Dana White' is the most prolific bearer in Florida. It was developed in Homestead. When blooming, the tree is nearly white with blossoms. It may be one of the more cold hardy varieties for Florida use. The nut tastes the same as the Arkin variety but is contained in a very hard shell.

'Beaumont', a well-known recommended dooryard variety, has spiny leaves, attractive red young growth, and pink blossoms. The tree produces favorably and holds nuts on the tree well. Although Beaumont trees may bear alternately, the harvest period can last over 6 months.

'Arkin Papershell' bears almost as well as 'Dana White', but its claim to fame is that each nut has a blemish or small crack somewhere on the shell, and if properly struck with a hammer, the shell will crack open readily."

from Julia Morton
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Macadamia.html

From the University of Florida
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg052
- Rob

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
TIA
They are easy to grow and a beautiful tree...however as far as harvesting the nuts, despite what some may say, I feel it may be easier and more economical to purchase them.  I have found it is a royal pain in the Arkin  ;) ;D.

From ECHO:
"Macadamia is a moderately hardy tree for south Florida and produces a very high quality nut in one to five years. ECHO sells air-layered trees that are capable of producing nuts one year after propagation. The tree does not require high soil fertility, but will probably need granular or foliar micronutrient sprays of zinc, iron, and manganese (take care not to over fertilize). Good soil drainage is also required. Mature trees can withstand 25-26ºF for short periods with minor damage to the foliage. Young trees and foliage are very tender and are killed very near freezing. Temperatures of 27º F and lower damages flowers and young fruit, reducing production. Nuts can be cracked open using a PVC cutter or after roasting. To roast, simply place nuts, shells included, on a cookie sheet in the oven at 300º F for 15 minutes. Turn oven off and let nuts cool inside on tray. Kernels will shrink some and shell will become brittle and easy to crack. A few mature macadamia trees are located in the arboretum.

'Dana White' is the most prolific bearer in Florida. It was developed in Homestead. When blooming, the tree is nearly white with blossoms. It may be one of the more cold hardy varieties for Florida use. The nut tastes the same as the Arkin variety but is contained in a very hard shell.

'Beaumont', a well-known recommended dooryard variety, has spiny leaves, attractive red young growth, and pink blossoms. The tree produces favorably and holds nuts on the tree well. Although Beaumont trees may bear alternately, the harvest period can last over 6 months.

'Arkin Papershell' bears almost as well as 'Dana White', but its claim to fame is that each nut has a blemish or small crack somewhere on the shell, and if properly struck with a hammer, the shell will crack open readily."

from Julia Morton

agree,beautiful tree,very good producers available,processing the nuts is a chore.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
Here in Nipomo, Ca (central coast) we have over 40 macadamias representing 15 varieties.  Most trees are over 20 years old.  They have survived with little damage a bad hit at 19 degrees.  They are, in fact, much hardier than a Hass avocado.  Young trees do get killed about 30 degrees.  Once established they need little water, fertilizer, and have no insect pests (here).  Our "soil" is 300 ft of dune sand, so quick drainage is obvious.  The few commercial growers here in CA graft scions on in-the-ground rootstock as reportedly cutting grown Macs have a poor root system and have blown over in Hawaii. Scions must be girdled months ahead of cutting to have successful grafts. The CA Macadamia Society has a variety of crackers that make the chore easy.  Vise grips do too. The recent CRFG tour consumed pounds of dried nuts here with just two crackers. There is quite a variability in flavor in nuts with the tetraphyllas having better flavor here in our cool climate.  A beautiful tree that deserves more planting.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:46:21 AM »
I purchased a 'Kate' seedling from home depot a year ago. I heard they take a long time to start fruiting. I might have to make friends with people with mature 'Beaumont' trees. I heard that's a good one.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:09:09 AM »
I have a small 6 to 8 inch tall air layered plant of unkown variety for free here in central Florida for pick up only.

Thanks,

Ed
Apopka, FL

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 02:14:46 AM »
Processing the nuts? I don't know what you guys are talking about, really? We eat them all the time here in macadamia land. Simplest thing in the world. You just need a good nut cracker. A very good one can be had for about $65-$75 dollars. Some of the better ones are made in Australia. I've got one and it's a cinch. Removing the hull from the nut is also super easy. We eat them raw, but even roasting them in the oven is no work at all.
If you process the nuts on a commercial scale that's a totally different story, but for yourself it's easier than opening a walnut.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »
One of my best memories as a kid was mashing mac nuts into the concrete with a brick. We were too impatient to wait our turn with the mac nut cracker.  ;D Every second household here would have a cracker as you can just pick them up from streets, verges and parks.
they are a weed in the horse paddock at the farm. A few bush nut plants drop too many nuts and often sucker, but the cultivated smooth leaved sp dont go quite as 'nuts'.
The pink flowered ones are a real sight when they get going.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 06:41:42 AM »
Wow BMc I did exactly the same thing and would usually wack them too hard so the crushed kernal had sand and shell fragments through it.There were loads of trees around and mostly 'spikey leafed' ones and I'd bring buckets of them home on my bike.I got be be pretty handy with the hammer on them.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »
Noticed a couple of months ago that the local Home Depot was selling macadamias labeled "Cate" that were just seedlings.  Now Cate is a common cultivar in CA, but a seedling is ?  The large commercial nursery producing these so called Cates also produces many avocados for big box stores.  Had quite a discussion on Cloudforest.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 10:17:47 AM »
TIA

From ECHO:

from Julia Morton

agree,beautiful tree,very good producers available,processing the nuts is a chore.
What are the best producers for Florida?

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 01:47:14 PM »
There is quite a difference in quality of named mac varieties. While the average mac nut is good, some of the named varieties are exceptionally good.  I have only tried a few, and each have different qualities. Production, ease of opening, nut size, shelf life, nut adhering to the shell.

For anyone that likes mac nut, try pili nut.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
I purchased a 'Kate' seedling from home depot a year ago. I heard they take a long time to start fruiting. I might have to make friends with people with mature 'Beaumont' trees. I heard that's a good one.

I recently went with my friend to a Riverside, CA nursery to pick up a second 'Beaumont' tree.

He is Macadamia nut fan and is using the trees as "street trees" in his parkway in front of his house.

I have to say, very attractive trees. His other 'Beaumont' tree has fruit on it.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 01:16:21 AM »
I met a guy in Glendale with a large Beaumont tree. I tried girdling and grafting last year but it didn't take. Turns out I should have used pencil width or thicker for best success. I'll try again later. I have 2 more seedlings now. One from Jack at the FoF in SLO last year, one from the "Cate seedling".

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 05:48:33 AM »
I have a Beaumont and get a bountiful crop every year for the squirrels. It is a 20' high squirrel feeder. They eat them when it is too green to pick and process.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
"They eat them when it is too green to pick and process."

Same with me. I have a 20 foot tall, 20 year old 'Dana White' that produces a ton (and in a shade of an oak). However, I never see any nuts.  If I want macadamia I buy them.  To me not worth the effort. The tree is a good ornamental, thus I haven't cut it down yet. 

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »
I just harvested my Beaumonts a week ago! The squirrels beat me to a few but I got the majority of roughly 1- 5 gal bucket. I may like Dana White just a shade better in the flavor dept., it seems sweeter to me. Anyone have an opinion on this?

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
Quentin

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 08:50:46 PM »
Hey Marvel, that just cracked me up. I was actually wanting to go online for a squirrel resistant net, see if there was any with steel mesh.  Maybe better yet, I dream of an electric one that would fry them damn bastards, now that would be nice!

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 02:37:39 AM »
You could always get the A24 CO2 mouse/rat/squirrel killing machine. I think you could nail it to the trunk (induce a bit of flowering as a side benefit)? Look it up on youtube...I think the main poster is Shawn Woods? That thing is fierce. Good luck, Chris
-Chris

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 06:50:52 AM »
Quentin

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »
I have had three varieties for a total of a 25 year period and I would rate Dana White as the easiest to harvest for sure. They do not have the sharp leaves that will cut you to shreds like the others and that's a big plus. When pruning and shaping, this can make your chore much easier and safer.  Beaumont may be the prettiest for those ruffled leaves which are sharp, give it a more majestic look.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk