Author Topic: "Condo" Mangoes  (Read 3100 times)

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
"Condo" Mangoes
« on: June 07, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
Here I am in Houston Texas without a mango tree.  I am about to take out an "early amber" peach because it is too big to net and the squirrels get all the fruit anyway.  I want to replace it with one of the condo mangoes.  Which ones are the most cold hardy?  Here in zone 9a we dip below freezing a couple time a winter (maybe as cold as 27 degrees, although it got to the low teens back in '89).
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: "Condo" Mangoes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
IMHO nam doc mai is the must
It's survive with fruit hanging with bit protection from greenhouse (cheap one) , though it's semi draft but can be easily grown in container

Other will be cogshall and Pickering

Last year pickering died on me , but this year I am giving another chance to it

This will be first year for cogshall for me

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:27:38 PM »
From what I know about Houston weather you are going  have to use a frame to protect it in the winter even if it is not every winter. Nam doc mai and Pickering (mentioned) are dwarfish so are good candidates.
How about a cardboard box from a refrigerator or washing machine to protect it for the first few years? With a few light bulbs inside?

When it gets larger_
A frame can have moorings cemented into the ground. You have these ready to accept a PVC pipe frame that can be put up in 20 minutes with an electric heater inside.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:44:41 PM by zands »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
Which ones are the most cold hardy? 

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »
Which ones are the most cold hardy? 

Lol  ;)

Yup, I do not know a "cold hardy" mango that's available yet, I'm hoping someone out there is working on one  :D. They are all about the same as far as far as the cold tolerance.

Cogshall or Pickering are a couple you can consider...NDM are sometimes prone to splitting from uneven watering and soil moisture but have great great taste reviews...

You will have to pug or prune your tree yearly to keep the size in check.

This Cogshall was taken last summer... it was 6 years old

I have to keep this tree very small because it's planted in a very small area in the front yard so I pugged it the end of March and here it is today...

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 08:38:24 AM »
Here I am in Houston Texas without a mango tree.  I am about to take out an "early amber" peach because it is too big to net and the squirrels get all the fruit anyway.  I want to replace it with one of the condo mangoes.  Which ones are the most cold hardy?  Here in zone 9a we dip below freezing a couple time a winter (maybe as cold as 27 degrees, although it got to the low teens back in '89).

You may want to keep the peach and kill the squirrels, this way you get to eat meat and fruit :-)

I'll vouch for pickering staying small, mine is in the ground over a year, and I've had it 2+ years and it hasn't grown an inch. It flowered in the pot but dropped all the fruitlets last year when I put it in the ground. I'll wait till next spring and if it doesn't get kick started I'm going to pull it.

Maybe I'll put it back in a pot on my patio. 

Regards,

Gary

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 12:58:36 PM »
My Pickering is the complete opposite...I planted it May 2012 and its almost bigger than my other Cogshall that's 7 years old.

Here it is the day I planted it (May 2012)

April 2014 almost two years later...Not sure why this Pickering grew SO quickly? It has about 20 mangoes now.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:02:23 AM by puglvr1 »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 09:03:37 PM »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!