Author Topic: Where can I find Mango Pina from Puerto Rico?  (Read 4741 times)

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Where can I find Mango Pina from Puerto Rico?
« on: July 14, 2019, 11:02:09 AM »
Hello everyone,

Does anyone here have Mango Pina from Puerto Rico?

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find Mango Pina from Puerto Rico?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
Perhaps someone has a grafted Piña but an issue in PR is that there is no widespread recognition of specific grafted types and any seedling mango from any type is referred to in a general name from any seedling producing fruit that looks similar. Ex, Grefe, Masa, Rosita, Zapatito, Cigarillo, Alcamphor, Juevo del Toro (which is a name also given to avocados of a certain appearance and also gets lumped together with Cipre mango), Manzana, etc. There are also variations of these names which people will
swear is the “real” name and so forth. I’m always in doubt about a specific type when someone says they have “the” grafted type for sale. Here it could literally be anything or something only similar. Good luck on your search 🌴.
Life is good

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »
Perhaps someone has a grafted Piña but an issue in PR is that there is no widespread recognition of specific grafted types and any seedling mango from any type is referred to in a general name from any seedling producing fruit that looks similar. Ex, Grefe, Masa, Rosita, Zapatito, Cigarillo, Alcamphor, Juevo del Toro (which is a name also given to avocados of a certain appearance and also gets lumped together with Cipre mango), Manzana, etc. There are also variations of these names which people will
swear is the “real” name and so forth. I’m always in doubt about a specific type when someone says they have “the” grafted type for sale. Here it could literally be anything or something only similar. Good luck on your search 🌴.
  I wish us Puerto Ricans didn't tell so many cuento chinos  😂.  Honestly though theres a section in Ciales that has them all over the place. Im going to have to call family and maybe get some Scions sent over.  I'd rather get something here where its already been confirmed.  If anybody has it let me know.  I'd love to grow something tjat truly comes from my roots.  I had a Dominican guy try to tell me Banilejos are the same thing and I said No buddy not even close but I do love Banilejos.  God bless you and Puerto Rico brother.

Best Regards,

Alex

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 01:31:40 PM »
Jajajja! “cuentos chinos”

I haven’t been through Ciales yet. I will have to check it out.

When I first moved to Vieques I was shown an anòn tree that many swore was a pink/red flesh fruit. Long story shortened it wasn’t  and they had great fun at a gringos expense. Lesson learned, Cabrones!

Thank you, Alex
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:36:03 PM by Bob407 »
Life is good

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
Jajajja! “cuentos chinos”

I haven’t been through Ciales yet. I will have to check it out.

When I first moved to Vieques I was shown an anòn tree that many swore was a pink/red flesh fruit. Long story shortened it wasn’t  and they had great fun at a gringos expense. Lesson learned, Cabrones!

Thank you, Alex
jajajajaja aka hahahahaha 😂😂😂

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure that mango de Piña gets slapped onto any mango with a pineapple flavor.  So everyone's got their own mango de Piña.  If you search the net you'll see pics of very small fruit bearing this name, and also extremely large fruit bearing this name.  Also, if you talk to people from Puerto Rico about the fruit some will remember a small fruit and some will remember a large fruit. 

I've got what's supposed to be a mango de Piña tree growing that was provided by a friend from PR, but I don't have any illusions that it's from a cultivar by that name.  I don't think there is one.  Maybe it's a Tommy Atkins. Who knows.....

Best regards,
Scott

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure that mango de Piña gets slapped onto any mango with a pineapple flavor.  So everyone's got their own mango de Piña.  If you search the net you'll see pics of very small fruit bearing this name, and also extremely large fruit bearing this name.  Also, if you talk to people from Puerto Rico about the fruit some will remember a small fruit and some will remember a large fruit. 

I've got what's supposed to be a mango de Piña tree growing that was provided by a friend from PR, but I don't have any illusions that it's from a cultivar by that name.  I don't think there is one.  Maybe it's a Tommy Atkins. Who knows.....

Best regards,
Scott

My father went to school in Ciales and we're from Barcrloneta.  He talks about these mangoes all the time I start talking mangoes.  Has your tree ever fruited? 

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 06:17:00 AM »
Not yet.  it's only 2 feet tall.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 08:18:23 AM »
  I wish us Puerto Ricans didn't tell so many cuento chinos  😂.  Honestly though theres a section in Ciales that has them all over the place. Im going to have to call family and maybe get some Scions sent over.  I'd rather get something here where its already been confirmed.  If anybody has it let me know.  I'd love to grow something tjat truly comes from my roots.  I had a Dominican guy try to tell me Banilejos are the same thing and I said No buddy not even close but I do love Banilejos.  God bless you and Puerto Rico brother.

Best Regards,

Alex

I’m from Ciales!
Zone 10

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 09:52:57 AM »

Best Regards,

Alex

I’m from Ciales!

I was there last year amd I cant wait to go back.  Im bringing some cuts of whatever I find out there and I dont care what TSA has to say about it 😂.  I'll never forget what happend at the airport coming back last time.  A police officer was asking every passenger as they boarded the plane back to Miami "what country are you a citizen of?"  Me because I was always up to no good back then responded like an idiot because I was nervous "Miami, I mean Florida!, I mean the US!"  I guess living in Miami makes you feel like you live in a completely different country. 😂😂😂.  I felt so stupid 😁 and you should of seen his face. 

Do you know about the Mango de piña?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
My cousins  has herd of this mango , but I bet the eBay Rustikos can help you out Locate one , I purchased from him a rare Wilson P avocado grafted tree From PR.

Ed ..

I would love to retire in Ciales , buy a mountain home and grow many trees! ..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/rustikos/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:52:33 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 07:00:24 PM »
My cousins  has herd of this mango , but I bet the eBay Rustikos can help you out Locate one , I purchased from him a rare Wilson P avocado grafted tree From PR.

Ed ..

I would love to retire in Ciales , buy a mountain home and grow many trees! ..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/rustikos/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Good thing you mentioned him.  I found him recently as was thinking to reach out to ask him about it. 

Retirement in Ciales could be heaven.

Puerco_Gringo

• Patrick SFB, FL, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 04:45:38 AM »
Hello, reading this post, reminded me of a couple young mango trees, that I bought from a Puerto Rican lady last year.  She didn't have a name for them, but I wanted to share pics of the fruit her tree is currently producing, in case this is what you're looking for.  She is supposed to share some fruit with me soon, and I can ask ask for grafts, if the fruit is good.  Please let me know, thanks.

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 07:17:25 AM »

It might be a seedling of it unless she sold you little grafted trees.  She also probably planted a seed she brought back from Puerto Rico and its probably a mono seed so its not breeding true to the parent tree. 

They look like theyre supposed to grow in clusters.  Ask her to sell you some fruit and see if it has that acidic kicks its supposed to have.  These are the only 2 pics that look similar.  Im getting my old boy involved in this hunt.  I cant believe this is such a mistery still.  He talks about this mango like if theres nothing that competes with it 😆

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 08:46:59 AM »
I have access to a property growing a mango tree that they call and looks like what's called and sold as pineapple mango here.
Its extremely sweet to the point some people dont like it because it's too sweet for them. I like them more than any other mangoes I've had.

I'm not sure how to confirm thats what you are looking for, but here's photos of the fruits.

Puerco_Gringo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 09:14:00 AM »

It might be a seedling of it unless she sold you little grafted trees.  She also probably planted a seed she brought back from Puerto Rico and its probably a mono seed so its not breeding true to the parent tree. 

They look like theyre supposed to grow in clusters.  Ask her to sell you some fruit and see if it has that acidic kicks its supposed to have.  These are the only 2 pics that look similar.  Im getting my old boy involved in this hunt.  I cant believe this is such a mistery still.  He talks about this mango like if theres nothing that competes with it 😆

Yes, they're seedlings, but I figured I'd take the chance.  If the fruit is good, I'll post here with a review, and see about gathering scions.

Puerco_Gringo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »
I have access to a property growing a mango tree that they call and looks like what's called and sold as pineapple mango here.
Its extremely sweet to the point some people dont like it because it's too sweet for them. I like them more than any other mangoes I've had.

I'm not sure how to confirm thats what you are looking for, but here's photos of the fruits.

I'd be interested in purchasing some seeds, if you can get some.  I'm totally interested in unknown varieties of mangoes, the sweeter the better.   8)

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 11:13:49 AM »

oh man I just spoke to my Dad and I think those are the ones.  The few I posted arent what he described.  He said theyre yellow and a little longer than a regular mango but still round.  I just sent him the picture to see if he can confirm for me.  I was some Scions too if you can get them from the lady.  I really feel Puerto Rico is uncharted territory for mangoes. 

My dad just told me he changed his mind about the best mangoes ever lol.  He says he has a neighbor whos from the Phillipines and that he brought back seeds from home to plant here in the states and that in the 30 years he's lived here he's never had a mango so good.  Im going this afternoon.  I really hope its a Sweet Elena poly seedling. 

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 11:16:35 AM »

Yes, they're seedlings, but I figured I'd take the chance.  If the fruit is good, I'll post here with a review, and see about gathering scions.
Im with you!  I feel theres a special place in heaven for the people who wait for a seedling to fruit.  Buying a grafted tree is great but if it werent for the pioneers who planted seeds back in the day we wouldn't have the diversity we have today.  Please keep us posted.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 02:07:41 PM »
I found my photo from last year of what I was told is a Piña mango. I bought them from a guy on the sidewalk near a local tienda. I don’t know where the tree is located. We made some delicious kulfi.

Hello everyone,

Life is good

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 02:35:15 PM »
I found my photo from last year of what I was told is a Piña mango. I bought them from a guy on the sidewalk near a local tienda. I don’t know where the tree is located. We made some delicious kulfi.

Hello everyone,

I feel like this is the real one.  Im waiting for my dad to get back with me on this subject.  I'd love to get a couple in my hands.  Please dont forget us if you ever run into these again.  See if you try to get information on buying scions if you find another vendor. 

joe_rogers1

• Rincon, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2020, 07:02:31 AM »
I believe what Puerto Ricans call "Mango Pina" is really a Palmer.

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 09:09:40 PM »
No way.  Palmers have a classic bland mango flavor to me. 

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »

Best Regards,

Alex

I’m from Ciales👍

I found this searching on line great looking mango , wonder if they do taste like pineapple ?
Ed

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:12:50 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

joe_rogers1

• Rincon, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 08:10:32 PM »
Maybe Palmers have a better flavor when grown in Puerto Rico than in Florida?