Author Topic: Avocado stem rot keeps working its way down, help!  (Read 1863 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Avocado stem rot keeps working its way down, help!
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:53:41 AM »
I have a young Gwen tree which started showing this brownish-red branch rot, then turning black, working its way down from the top of the plant on one of the main "trunks".  I've cut below it twice and it continues its trek.  This usually stops on its own but it went past a small scaffold branch and kept on going.  I just cut barely below it and sprayed the tree with two systemics I use on grapevines, both known as wide spectrum - Pristine and 3336WP.  I suspect anthracnose.  Too much plant food has been frying some young leaf tips and margins.  Could it be that?  Just flushed it with rainwater.

Thanks,
Mark

Ed of Somis

• Ventura Co, Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado stem rot keeps working its way down, help!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »
M...I have struggled over the years with my Gwynn avo as well. Here is what I know. Gwen is a shy grower, and is not agressive or hardy. It can become water-stressed for sure. Often the branches become sun burned and turn brown or black. Painting horizontal branches white helps. Stem rot is not a problem in my area...and I am not familiar with that. goodluck

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
To keep the soil around my avocadotree a little less wet i planted some Hybiscus and Heliconia and passionfruit and flowering plants around it.

If it works i can tell after the rainingseason but i think the idea is good. Wet soil is the problem so maybe more drinkers will help.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Mark the wrong fertilizer and amount of it can do that as well. I have done it several times. Now I use a table spoon at a time on my small trees.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
Mark the wrong fertilizer and amount of it can do that as well. I have done it several times. Now I use a table spoon at a time on my small trees.

Carlos, what do you mean by the wrong food?  What NPK are you using?   I use a slow release, 12 mo., 18-4-9 with micros (Polyon brand) and plenty of organics.  My avocado trees are in huge bottomless RootBuilder pots.  They are young, about 5' tall.

Thanks for all the input fellers.......
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:07:15 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »
In Florida and Texas with the heat and humidity some of the so call slow release, release a lot faster. I lost several grafted trees and so did a well known fruit tree nursery in So. Florida, except they lost hundreds of trees. A brand name of slow release fertilizer apparently a batch release quickly..... and one tends to put too much of it anyway . The label of some of these  call for  a 5 gal pot  one or two tablespoon per pot. No more, and if you add "organic"  plus your high sodium water could be a problem.  since then I apply fertilizer to potted trees with a measuring scoop. I rather apply less.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk