Poll

What are the qualities of the Coconut Cream mango? you can choose more than 1.

Taste
8 (40%)
Disease Resistance
1 (5%)
Productivity
4 (20%)
Tree Size (compact)
3 (15%)
Attractiveness of fruit
3 (15%)
Other ( Specify )
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Poll on the CC mango  (Read 4607 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Poll on the CC mango
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »
I have found very little documented information on the Coconut cream mango. so I created this poll, in the hopes that people that are familiar with it can vote in the qualities of this variety.

Note: you can change your vote at anytime, add or subtract.  over time, I believe this will be a better reference for this fruit than similar charts in other places. because it will be from the experts in this forum  :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:09:46 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Poll on the CC mango
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:31:19 PM »
There is a reason there is little documentation on the fruit, the tree was only released for sale last year. Not much info is known about growing the tree or fruit development. Flavor wise, the fruit is great. I guess in the next few years there will be more info.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:17:44 PM »
As murahilin said, its availability has been very limited.  I first tasted it in the summer of 2010 when it was just known by a Zills given number.  The taste was pure coconut, creamy, juicy mango decadence.  As far as the tree, being a cross between Gary and Edward, I suppose you could let your imagination take over.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »
As murahilin said, its availability has been very limited.  I first tasted it in the summer of 2010 when it was just known by a Zills given number.  The taste was pure coconut, creamy, juicy mango decadence.  As far as the tree, being a cross between Gary and Edward, I suppose you could let your imagination take over.

If the current coconut cream is the C-20, it's had the name Coconut Cream since at least 09. Maybe even years before that. As for it being a cross between the Gary and the Edward, it's all speculation until some type of DNA analysis is done to verify. Zill's would probably know the mother tree but the father would be a guess. They may be right.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:53:14 PM »

If the current coconut cream is the C-20, it's had the name Coconut Cream since at least 09. Maybe even years before that. As for it being a cross between the Gary and the Edward, it's all speculation until some type of DNA analysis is done to verify. Zill's would probably know the mother tree but the father would be a guess. They may be right.
Yes, it was the C-20 when I had it in 2010.  I agree they were using the name CC but the mangoes were being marked C-20.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:37 AM »
This is the reason i made the poll, this season I suspect those that have not tasted the CC will try one if they have a chance, and made the votes, changeable, so you can add what you know so far, and make changes later as more data comes in. we can do this with other mango varieties also.

According to the folks at Excalibur, CC is very productive, the tree looks pretty big also, i believe they told me it was only 5 years old, I maybe someone can correct me on that. if that's the case, looks like it will want to be a big tree.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "