Author Topic: Scion quality and timing - your opinion please  (Read 862 times)

Jolo

• Mango Loco
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Scion quality and timing - your opinion please
« on: June 21, 2020, 09:43:22 AM »
Hello mango nuts. I would like your opinion on scions that I purchased for grafting.

I have attached an image of three, out of five, scions that I purchased. I ended up grafting on a Coconut Cream mango tree that is growing very well and healthy. The cleft grafts Have been on the tree now for three weeks. They are still mostly green, but no visible sign of new growth. A couple of the scions are not terminal and do not show much growth.

My questions:

1. What do you think of the quality of the scions based on the attached image?
2. Should I assume that I am getting terminal budwood when I order?
3. Are cuttings as shown on image generally provided as scions for grafting?
4. My scions have been on for three weeks, how much longer before I see growth?
Thank you

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Scion quality and timing - your opinion please
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 10:19:43 AM »
1. They look excellent
2. You can graft the how you want. After all these years I think veneer is better then cleft...
3. Yes, this is perfect budwood
4. They should start growing after a few weeks, but it can take long. I had a graft which sprouted after 12 month... as long as the budwood is green, it still can sprout...

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:18:14 AM »
Two observations
1) These are not prepped budwood in that the petioles are still on and would have fallen off on prepped wood.
2) They are in very good shape with swollen buds and should be great.

If your grafts are still green, then you are in good shape.  Just keep an eye out for growth below the graft and knock those off, your graft doesn't need the competition.

Regarding my observations above, I like prepped scions, they are easier to wrap and I believe they often push earlier though that is a huge generalization.  I have grafted with both and I will jump on scions that look like yours anytime (they look very ready) but I will love it even more "sans petiole."

... and because you asked...
1. What do you think of the quality of the scions based on the attached image? (Very good)
2. Should I assume that I am getting terminal budwood when I order? (No, just scions hopefully with swollen buds)
3. Are cuttings as shown on image generally provided as scions for grafting? (Yes, most certainly yes.  Some sellers prepare to order in which case they prep the scion for 10 to 12 days by removing the leafs, and letting the petiole fall off and the buds swell before they harvest and ship to you.  This takes time)
4. My scions have been on for three weeks, how much longer before I see growth? (It could be anytime now - 3 to 4 weeks is not unusual, is your tree actively growing?)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 11:24:48 AM by Orkine »

Jolo

• Mango Loco
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 11:56:13 AM »
Thank you for your responses. I am new to grafting and I am learning about how important the quality of the scion is. I am encouraged that after three weeks their are still green. Thank you

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 10:02:56 PM »
They are all excellent mature scions!!!!

I have never prepped budwood; I selected scions and just cut off the leaves right before grafting. These are 1 year old wood and should send out new shoots in 3 weeks. The younger budwood tends to stay dormant longer, and I have one still has no new shoot after 12 months.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk