Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 964322 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #1725 on: July 19, 2016, 01:52:20 PM »
The first, and most important, is the collector. Its just a cheap scoop, like you would use for ice or rice (etc) that Ive cut down a little to match the shape of the inside of the average flower, although ive used many other things in the past. A small, clear or darkly colored plate, like a tea cup plate, works well too and is a good size. I like glass or dark colors because it helps to see the pollen on the surface once you have it. I just stick my collector into the flower, under all the anthers but inside the pedals, as far as I can get without harming the flower, and literally just shake or tap on the flower. As long as you get to the flower before the bees and bugs strip it clean, the pollen will sprinkle right off and onto your collector, and you'll have pure pollen to use, without any extra flower parts to sort out. On my self fertile plants, like the S-8, when I collect the pollen I also take hold of the female stamen and dip it down into the pollen Ive collected, just to make sure theres good pollen contact. You wont hurt the flower or fruit production by doing this, but avoid touching the pollen itself, as the oil on your fingers can make it unviable.

Thanks! I cut up a plastic Perrier bottle and ended up with this:

I hope I get a chance to try it. Here was the Manhattan Beach flower on Monday night:

It's about 8" or 9" long. Does this have a chance of blooming Wed or Thu night? Based on the photos Page 68 of this thread it looks more like a Friday night bloom, but I hope not!

If not by Thursday, I'm going to miss it, because I'm out of town Fri through Mon nights, returning late Tuesday. It sure does not look like it has a full week to go.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:19:42 PM by TheWaterbug »
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: July 19, 2016, 02:36:32 PM »
What about taking a neighborhood friend out for breakfast / lunch / dinner and sweet-talk him / her to do it hahahah.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: July 19, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
I got Yellow Dragon fruit (S. Megalanthus) seeds from Trade Winds Fruit. I put them in my seed starting system and I saw a dicot pop up! I thought the first one might be an anomaly (wrong seed in the package), but then the next ones popped up as dicots. So then I thought I got mis-labeled seeds. Then I forgot about it for a week, and today I checked back and I do indeed see dragon fruit thorns starting to pop out. (see below)

I am really surprised! Are all dragon fruit seedlings dicots?

I started some apple cactus seeds and there were not any 'leaves' at all. It just started forming like a lump with thorns and then got bigger. I would have expected dragon fruit seedlings to behave the same way.

- Mark

apiosiscool

• View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: July 19, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »
I got Yellow Dragon fruit (S. Megalanthus) seeds from Trade Winds Fruit. I put them in my seed starting system and I saw a dicot pop up! I thought the first one might be an anomaly (wrong seed in the package), but then the next ones popped up as dicots. So then I thought I got mis-labeled seeds. Then I forgot about it for a week, and today I checked back and I do indeed see dragon fruit thorns starting to pop out. (see below)

I am really surprised! Are all dragon fruit seedlings dicots?

I started some apple cactus seeds and there were not any 'leaves' at all. It just started forming like a lump with thorns and then got bigger. I would have expected dragon fruit seedlings to behave the same way.

The ones I've started are all like that., leaves then the dragonfruit stem growing from it.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: July 19, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation! That is a really interesting that it is a succulent vine, yet it puts out leaves as a dicot, but then never forms leaves again
- Mark

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: July 19, 2016, 03:27:52 PM »
Edgar Valdivia is one of the most known 'breeders' of dragon fruit in the community. He's been working on cross breeding and general plant knowledge since long before I gained interest in the hobby. He gives 'lectures' regularly at the Southern California dragon fruit festival on care and development of the plants, and fruit. Edgar's Baby is one of his better known plants he has created (Valdivia Roja being another) and is quite well received as I understand it.

on another point:

The ideal shape for inserting into a flower is an open hand, palm up. If you remove the rest of the area I marked that should do just fine. The stamen vary in length sometimes and you want to have as much open area to capture as possible. BTW, the plastic bottle is a great idea for a collector. I will be sure to use that as an example for people in the future when they bring it up.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
2016 Dragon Fruit Festival and Field Day
« Reply #1731 on: July 19, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »
 This is a quote I pulled off another dragon fruit board, for anyone who'd be interested in getting some real 'hands on' information about growing dragon fruit in both the home and the farm.
"I want to let you know that our wonderful annual Pitahaya/Dragon Fruit Festival hosted by the University will be held in August. The 19th of August there will be lectures taking place in Escondido,CA , the meeting on the 20th  will be held at the Southcoast Field Station in Irvine-the program will include field trips, fruit tasting etc . More information will be posted by Ramiro Lobo at a later date.

SAVE THESE DATES!  AUGUST 19th & AUGUST 20th"
This is all the info ive seen posted so far. as I get more I will try to update you. Been to one of these before, and if you have more than a casual interest in these plants, it's worth going at least once to get some real insight on how things are done on a more "professional" level. Plus theres fruit tastings and people hand out and swap cuttings.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #1732 on: July 19, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
I just bought an Edgar's Baby dragonfruit from wellspring, but i can't find too much info on it online. Does anyone know if it's self-pollinating or other aspects of its culture? Thanks.

It came from a cutting given to your source. Named after the person who gave your source the cutting. Not much information on it. Most likely not self-pollinating.

I purchased the plant from wellspring, and Edgar's Baby seems to be a legitimate variety selected by Edgar Valdiva from what I found online, it seems a lot of places sell the plant. I was wondering if anyone else has had the opportunity to grow the plant and what their experience has been?

I don't think Edgar named it.

Do not confuse Edgar's Baby with DF named Edgar.  :-)

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: July 19, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
What about taking a neighborhood friend out for breakfast / lunch / dinner and sweet-talk him / her to do it hahahah.
Unfortunately for me the only people I know in the area are my ex-wife and ex-girlfriend, neither of whom are inclined to provide me any botanical help. At least I don't think so. Maybe if I offer her a cutting…
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: July 19, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »
Edgar Valdivia is one of the most known 'breeders' of dragon fruit in the community. He's been working on cross breeding and general plant knowledge since long before I gained interest in the hobby. He gives 'lectures' regularly at the Southern California dragon fruit festival on care and development of the plants, and fruit. Edgar's Baby is one of his better known plants he has created (Valdivia Roja being another) and is quite well received as I understand it.

Are you sure? My understanding is Valdivia Roja was acquired by the Universty of California from Mexico and has the same name as Edgar, but not an Edgar creation.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: July 19, 2016, 05:38:28 PM »

The ideal shape for inserting into a flower is an open hand, palm up. If you remove the rest of the area I marked that should do just fine. The stamen vary in length sometimes and you want to have as much open area to capture as possible. BTW, the plastic bottle is a great idea for a collector. I will be sure to use that as an example for people in the future when they bring it up.

Trimmed:

I might reconsider the use of a Perrier bottle. It's a 3 layers of laminated plastic, and once you start cutting it it delaminates. But you can't just remove the inner layers because they're tightly joined at the neck. Maybe I'll buy a bottle of Sprite tonight and try that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:20:17 PM by TheWaterbug »

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: July 21, 2016, 02:42:06 AM »
Here was the Manhattan Beach flower on Monday night:

And here it was tonight, Wednesday, at 9:45 PM (e.g. it's not blooming tonight):

From everything else I've seen online, she's going to pop tomorrow! And the flower to the left should pop 3 days hence.

So I'll get to collect pollen tomorrow and put it in the freezer.

Unfortunately my own flower is still 7-8 days away as of tonight:

I'll try to get a friend to pollinate this when it blooms.

bbudd

• thailand,chiang rai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: July 21, 2016, 07:37:45 AM »
Heres what happened with my dragonfruit
Started on posts and wire-they didn't like that
Headed up the roof and climed the lamyai tree behind
Makes it a chalange harvesting-and were getting lots of fruit this season

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: July 21, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: July 22, 2016, 02:07:21 AM »
From everything else I've seen online, she's going to pop tomorrow! And the flower to the left should pop 3 days hence.
It popped tonight, as planned!

But, as you can see, it wasn't completely open, and the anthers hadn't released their pollen yet. I shook the flower a bit and brushed the anthers with my brush, but nothing came off. This was at around 9:45. I went to McDonald's for a vanilla cone and came back at 10:30 PM, but there was still no pollen. I took the photo at 10:30.

I had my kid with me, and he was falling asleep, so I had to get him home, and it's a bit too far away to go back out tonight.

But before I went to Manhattan Beach I stopped by Lomita, and I did get some pollen from a wide-open Lomita White flower. I put a little bit on the Manhattan Beach flower, even though it gave me nothing in return. >:(  It's too late for me, but there are two other flowers on this plant that I think will pop tomorrow. If anyone's interested, PM me for the address.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: July 22, 2016, 02:10:54 AM »

I might reconsider the use of a Perrier bottle. It's a 3 layers of laminated plastic, and once you start cutting it it delaminates. But you can't just remove the inner layers because they're tightly joined at the neck. Maybe I'll buy a bottle of Sprite tonight and try that.

The Perrier bottle worked very well! It's just about the right shape and size. On the Lomita flower I could have used just a little more width, so if I can remember where I put it I'll drink that 1 liter bottle of Canada Dry Ginger Ale and cut that into a scoop.

I did buy a bottle of Sprite, but the bottle has a strange shape (somewhat "Coke bottle"-ish), and it has these weird embossed bumps in it, so I didn't even use it.

When I get back from my trip in about 3 weeks I should have my own flowers blooming, and a GoPro with a charged battery ::) , so I can take a video of the Perrier bottle in action.

sparkletts05

• Zone 10B, San Gabriel Valley, Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 22, 2016, 02:12:21 AM »
Possible to cross pollinate dragonfruit and apple cactus?
J

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: July 22, 2016, 01:53:44 PM »
@TheWaterbug  omg what a journey. best of luck
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 22, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »
I'm not positive, but I think you can cross pollinate dragon fruit (pitahaya) and apple cactus (pitaya) and get fruit. The seeds might produce a wonky hybrid but the fruit flesh itself should match the flower producing plant species.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: July 22, 2016, 06:48:03 PM »
Will H. Undatus cross with Megalanthus?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: July 25, 2016, 02:38:33 AM »
When you get serious about commercial growing...

! No longer available

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: July 25, 2016, 10:08:31 PM »
Saw that video a while back and the funny thing is, since then, Ive figured out that if you really want to maximize production on a large scale like that, the individual 'canopied' plants is not the ideal way to grow dragon fruit. On very large scale, they should be grown like grapes are, long continuous rows on trellis like supports, with the rows running North to South, not East to West or some other random direction. These plants need direct sunlight to produce fruit and the canopy shape means that for about 8 months of the year, one side is in perpetual shade and the other is in sun all year. As the summer approaches, and the sun gets higher, it hits more of the plant, but as winter gets near, and the sun lowers, a good portion of the plant loses any direct sun, which lowers fruit production in those areas. If you watch the video, as the camera pans across the orchard, almost every plant has fruit or flowers on the same parts of the plants.
Now, for us home growers, this is mostly a moot point, unless you have a big yard and you plan on dedicating a lot of space to this fruit, but for larger scale growers, its something to consider.

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 25, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »
have used long rows [ old field fencing] for many years & has worked well  BUT seems i always seem something needs doing on other side!

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 27, 2016, 01:39:45 AM »
Trimmed:

Thank you TheWaterbug for this idea.

! No longer available

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: July 27, 2016, 10:06:39 AM »
I have been watching this thread and have seen that a lot of member have gained a lot of experience in the last 4-5 years, Now I need some advise.
I'm exploring dragon fruit as a plan B for my avocado grove may be only partially.  2-3 acres out of the 20.

I want to star experimenting in the cultivation of dragon fruit.  I'm removing some citrus I have with a length of 100' and will have at least 15" on each side.
What kind of set up would you do, how high and what materials to use.
What varieties would be better for Homestead.
Planted on the ground or in containers?

Also I have two concrete container in the corners of my patio at home. They get a lot of sun. Seem like a 20 gal capacity, they weight a ton. Pictures attached.
What type of support would you use on these pots? What varieties would you plant?  Soil to use?
Any help would be appreciated, including rooted cuttings I can buy.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:08:23 AM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk