Author Topic: New Mango Varietties from Top Tropicals  (Read 7088 times)

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
New Mango Varietties from Top Tropicals
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »
Top Tropicals just put up three new mango varieties for sale: Corn, Jean Ellen and Julliette. Any experience with these three? Worth collecting?

Mike

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: New Mango Varietties from Top Tropicals
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 12:41:23 AM »
No idea what Corn is...Jean Ellen is a NO and Juliette is a "new and improved" Julie with better disease resistance.  I have tasted a number of Juliette fruit in 2012 and it was very inconsistent.  Some were very good and some were average at best.  If you have the room, like Julie and live in a locale where growing Julie is a losing battle, then I would give Juliette a try.
- Rob

gtw7983

• Corona, ca zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:42:34 AM »
Bisbullie, thanks for your opinions. I think I will pass all three.

Mike

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 03:25:05 AM »
I assume Corn is Madame Corn?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »
Top Tropicals just put up three new mango varieties for sale: Corn, Jean Ellen and Julliette. Any experience with these three? Worth collecting?
Mike

Can only comment on Jean Ellen.  Good points......early, consistent, disease resistant and manageable growth habit.  Bad points.....better than Tommy Atkins or most other store bought mangoes, but mediocre (being kind) in flavor and flesh to seed ratio as compared to the better backyard grown mangoes here in Florida.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:23:12 AM »
Mike

Can only comment on Jean Ellen.  Good points......early, consistent, disease resistant and manageable growth habit.  Bad points.....better than Tommy Atkins or most other store bought mangoes, but mediocre (being kind) in flavor and flesh to seed ratio as compared to the better backyard grown mangoes here in Florida.
Harry - if you jog your memory, I brought you Juliette to try when I came by with the Orange Sherbet and Lemon Zest.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:15:48 AM »
Harry - if you jog your memory, I brought you Juliette to try when I came by with the Orange Sherbet and Lemon Zest.

While I am appreciative of you bringing me that mango, and am further appreciative of you reminding about you giving me the opportunity to try it, I have jogged and jostled my memory with no results.  So, my inability to comment remains.  Sorry.  Either it wasn't memorable or it just got lost in the blur that mango season tends to be with all that goes on.  Did I comment on what I thought of the mango when we tried it?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »

While I am appreciative of you bringing me that mango, and am further appreciative of you reminding about you giving me the opportunity to try it, I have jogged and jostled my memory with no results.  So, my inability to comment remains.  Sorry.  Either it wasn't memorable or it just got lost in the blur that mango season tends to be with all that goes on.  Did I comment on what I thought of the mango when we tried it?
You actually said taste wasnt bad but I think it was overwhelmed/lost by the OS and LZ...along with the abiu, longans and all the other mangoes tasted.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »
Also, if I remember correctly I also brought a Zill "Oh Too" or O-2 that impressed you as I also remember you saying you would take and plant a tree if and when it becomes available.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »

Mike

Corn is a popular mango in Haiti. It has a richly sweet flavor but is very fibrous. Tends to be a so-so producer in Florida, a little anthracnose prone. Ugly looking fruit but if you can get past the fiber the flavor is decent.

Jean Ellen is a "new" mango promoted by Fairchild whose flavor has received very poor reviews from many who have tried it.

Juliett is a "new" Julie by Carrie cross I believe (or maybe it was Julie x Gary, memory is failing here). I think the flavor is more similar to Carrie than Julie. I like it. Can't really comment on the production or growth habit though.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »
Hey folks, what are your thoughts on taste of Juliette Mango? I am in flux over whether to get this or some other variety.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »
Based on what I have read, and other varieties I have tried, I would say pass on all 3.  There are MANY better cultivars
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I ordered a tree and then wanted to change it, top tropicals would only give credit so I  want something that i Can sell and recover my costs. thinking sweet tart would be good choice.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
No you're on the right track!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »
Anyone else  got the word on when Fruit Punch will be released? apparently its date is suppose to be real soon from the  most recent commment on it...definately need to start calling T.T. daily from now on about this tree...I'm sure its going to sell out faster than a new Release Apple product or new Gaming sytem.

Is it sad you're part of the Zill mango Hype train when you havent even tasted but one of is mangos?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
I tasted fruit punch and it was amazing. Planted the seed and it turned into mono embryonic.  Will let it grow in the ground and see what it does.

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »
Fruit Punch is awesome but I heard it does not produce well.   That being said, I would still plant it . . . it was that good.
George

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »
Fruit Punch is awesome but I heard it does not produce well.   That being said, I would still plant it . . . it was that good.

For me...if its a Tier 1 mango...only 6 elite mangos belonging to this elite and highest Tier.....then production is completely irrelevant in my opinion..
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:46:45 AM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 01:10:12 AM »
What are those 6 top tier mangoes?

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 05:37:49 AM »
My personal top 6 (in no particular order) are:

Pineapple Pleasure (my personal favorite)
Fruit Punch
Lemon Zest
Orange Sherbet
Dwarf Hawaiian
Neelam

Those appeal to my palate and are based on flavor only.  I have only recently began growing some of these so I am not yet able to comment on other factors such as production.  BSBullie seems to have a wealth of information with regard to some of these so hopefully he will chime in.   
George