Author Topic: Fruiting pulusan and or Rambutan via marcott in a pot!  (Read 18541 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Fruiting pulusan and or Rambutan via marcott in a pot!
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:26:38 PM »
A dream of mine....to fruit some pulusan and rambutan from marcotts in a pot!

any accounts of this happening??

or even pics of small airlayered trees in pots or out in grove?!

I know it can be done!  Thanks! :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Fruiting pulusan and or Rambutan via marcott in a pot!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
http://gorightinmygarden.blogspot.com/2011/08/sweet-sweet-pulasan.html

http://shw.photovideo.fotopages.com/6531046/Pulasan-fruit-and-tree.html

here is  a few links to small trees in ground that look like they would fruit in a pot!  Pulusan
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:31:28 PM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »
LL's tastes are more "refined" than some others, I did enjoy the rambutan we had in PR while not life changing they were good.  The pulasans were also very good, with Juan's being exceptional.  In addition, it sure would be a fun challenge to pull off, I say go for it!

-Ethan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »
lycheeluva,

I really appreciate the feedback! 

I am one to grow a plant just to say I did it...and I like to eat from as many families and species of fruits as I can...my theory is u r what u eat, so be well rounded with as many varieties of locally grown food items as u can.  even if they are indeed inferior to more common sapindaceous fruits, they may posses a medicinal or nutritional quality that the commonplace species lack altogether.

this is the main reason I'm so into growing such a variety of fruits. 

so which pulusan and rambutans would be best??  I think ohioj can help here I bet!! 

t
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:51:22 PM »
Best tasting pulasan i've had is Seebabat. I'm sure i could easily convert lycheeluva if i ever gave him some! Rambutan is a nice fruit when not much else around, it's just simply sweet.Seebabat pulasan has very complex and delicate flavor.
The bad news for Adam is that pulasan is a lot harder to grow and fruit than rambutan. I think the rambutan is much more widely adapted., and pulasan a lot more ultra tropical. But even the rambutan will be a big challenge in Central Florida. The challenge is not fruiting it in a pot it is surviving the climate there. Only a very few people in southern Florida have been able to fruit it, i think Adolf Grimal in the Keys being one of them. So in Central Florida even more difficult. Not impossible, just very difficult. One of the most vigorous fambutans and a nice taster has been Binjay, You might want to start there.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:52:48 PM »
well, there is really nie guy in PR, called Juan who had a farm with various fruit trees, including a few pulsan. One of his pulsan trees stopped us all dead in our tracks because it tasted about 100 times better than any other pulsan any of us had eaten. you need to try and get a seedling from that one tree.

u mean a marcott!! a seed will be the wrong propagation method for fruiting in a pot.

where can I track me' down one!!  thanks for the lead!!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:56:39 PM by Anikulapo »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:55:22 PM »
Best tasting pulasan i've had is Seebabat. I'm sure i could easily convert lycheeluva if i ever gave him some! Rambutan is a nice fruit when not much else around, it's just simply sweet.Seebabat pulasan has very complex and delicate flavor.
The bad news for Adam is that pulasan is a lot harder to grow and fruit than rambutan. I think the rambutan is much more widely adapted., and pulasan a lot more ultra tropical. But even the rambutan will be a big challenge in Central Florida. The challenge is not fruiting it in a pot it is surviving the climate there. Only a very few people in southern Florida have been able to fruit it, i think Adolf Grimal in the Keys being one of them. So in Central Florida even more difficult. Not impossible, just very difficult. One of the most vigorous fambutans and a nice taster has been Binjay, You might want to start there.

i plan on growing in a heated greenhouse for days when temp is below 55F.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »

i plan on growing in a heated greenhouse for days when temp is below 55F.

Both pulasan and rambutan grow well from air layers. Morton reported in her book that rambutan doesn't do well from air layers, but she is wrong. I think placing the air layer in Florida limestone will certainly kill them, and that is what in fact happened in the experiment  she is reporting on in Florida. I can send you some air layers if you really want to go through with this crrrazy idea? But it will be about as hard as fruiting mangosteen at your location. But if anyone could pull it off i'm sure it's you!
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:52:41 AM »
by the way ethan, im not for a second suggesting u didnt enjoy the rambutan but do u recall, Ian was kind enough to give us a box of fruit containing mangosteen, pulsan and rambutan. the mangosteen went in a second. the pulsan were eventually eaten but we barely made a dent into the rambutan and i think we ultimately either left it behind or gave it away to the hotel staff
LL, I believe you would have left durian behind too. :o  Rambutan is not as good as mangosteen, pualasan or even marang for that matter but it was nice to eat, esp. if that is all you had.

Oscar, I believe that we did try fruits from grafted Seebabat among others on the trip and I believe that Juan's tree is a Seebabat seedling?

mmmmmmmarang,
-Ethan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »
Fruitlovers!

U know I'm game!

I think if I had to choose I'd try Pulusan...because of the extreme tropical nature...but I wonder if I should try Rambutan instead?  Does either one produce more frequently throughout the year???

I have a spot in a heated greenhouse waiting for these species!! 

I've always wanted to try both, and either one would be much appreciated!  and I may be able to rustle up something to give u in return!

Thanks for extending such an offer, and also the inspiring comments.  Fruiting either one of these would be such a joy, but a tricky puzzle to figure out.  I'm bored, and it sounds fun to try ;D ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:09:13 AM »
Fruitlovers!

U know I'm game!

I think if I had to choose I'd try Pulusan...because of the extreme tropical nature...but I wonder if I should try Rambutan instead?  Does either one produce more frequently throughout the year???

I have a spot in a heated greenhouse waiting for these species!! 

I've always wanted to try both, and either one would be much appreciated!  and I may be able to rustle up something to give u in return!

Thanks for extending such an offer, and also the inspiring comments.  Fruiting either one of these would be such a joy, but a tricky puzzle to figure out.  I'm bored, and it sounds fun to try ;D ;)

OK, will put some air layers on my trees. Both rambutan and pulasan can fruit very heavily when happy. They both tend to be alternate bearing, with some years very heavy crop and other years a light crop or no crop at all. As you can see from this photo 2008 was a good rambutan year on my farm:
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 01:22:36 AM »
Great photo!  But where's the copyright?? Oh, i see it...sitting and smiling at me, in that big mass of vibrantly beautiful rambutan!  ;)

I wish I had locally grown rambutan, that wasn't shipped across the globe, and irradiated or whatever....

U are helping dreams come true Oscar!

THANKS!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 01:33:19 AM »
Excellent pictures, I love the expression on your face. Makes me want to try some Rambutan in containers.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 01:36:44 AM »
Great photo!  But where's the copyright?? Oh, i see it...sitting and smiling at me, in that big mass of vibrantly beautiful rambutan!  ;)

I wish I had locally grown rambutan, that wasn't shipped across the globe, and irradiated or whatever....

U are helping dreams come true Oscar!

THANKS!

I think PR and CR, maybe also Mexico?, can ship rambutan to USA without irradiation. Unfortunately none of it gets labeled whether irraidated or not, so telling the difference might be the hard part.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:20 AM »
I think PR maybe no radiation...I'd buy pulusan from there...maybe we can get a group to split an order here in central FL...I know I'm getting pawpaw for sure!  I'm not missing the bus for the 31st time in my life!!!  I'm sick of it!  NEED PAWPAW NOW! :o sorry I lost it there for a sec. My B.A.L. is low...Blood Annonaceae Level.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 02:37:37 AM »
I think PR maybe no radiation...I'd buy pulusan from there...maybe we can get a group to split an order here in central FL...I know I'm getting pawpaw for sure!  I'm not missing the bus for the 31st time in my life!!!  I'm sick of it!  NEED PAWPAW NOW! :o sorry I lost it there for a sec. My B.A.L. is low...Blood Annonaceae Level.

Where do you buy pawpaw? I'd love to get some also. Anyone shipping the fruits?
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 07:22:21 AM »
Juan's pulasan was very good.  Was it 100 times better than what we had a few days before?  Not to me.  The flavor was top but the flesh clung to the seed for dear life and that is a big turn off for me. 

The problem is finding a nursery that carry these plants.  Frankies has a few varieties of rambutan but no pulasan.  Bryan from Montoso Gardens used to have both but his brother David rarely grafts anything anymore.  There is another nursery in Hawaii that carries airlayered rambutan and pulasan.  I do not recommend them due to the care of their plants and shipping methods.  That very strong, non-stretching wrap they use to do the airlayer is never removed from the plants.  Either they have stayed on the tree way too long or just got lost in the root mass.  Doesn't matter.  By the time you get the plant, it is girdled beyond saving.  I know a few people who have ordered from there and none of us have kept a plant alive beyond a month or two.

If Oscar is going to airlayer you a plant, then you could not do any better than that.  You'll get a good variety and can sleep easy knowing it will be done correctly.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:26:19 AM by ohiojay »

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »
Hello,

Two quick questions: Is one solitary pulasan tree enough to fruit? Also, do pulusan seed grow fairly true to its parent?

Tomas
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:13:52 AM by Tomas »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
I had the same fruits that LL had and while the Pulasan we had at Juan's was my favorite fruit of the trip, I very much enjoyed fruits we had elsewhere.  I think he's being a bit dramatic to assess the difference at 100x. But that's LL  I enjoy the taste and especially the look of both rambutan and pulasan.  The trees that I saw are not very dramatic in and of themselves.  I did not see the stately trees that one might describe when looking at a big lychee or even a mangosteen.  However, the bizarre/strange/alien look to the fruit hanging on the tree makes seeing them quite an experience.  Rambutan fruit is sweet and delicious, but for me lacks the complexity that I enjoy in fruit.  Then there is the issue of the clinging seed coat that is fairly annoying.  I understand that there are some freestone or freer stone varieities, but I did not expereince this.  The ones I had were clingy and clingier...if that's a word.  Now on to the growing of these in Florida.  I came away from Puerto Rico with the thought that it would be possible and I planted seed out of rambutan and pulasan.  Before I invested in grafed/air layered trees I wanted to see just how cold sensitive they were.  I can report to you that rambutan is less cold sensitive that Pulasan.  However, both are very, very cold sensitive.....to the point that I have no seedling pulasans alive after two years of seed planting.  I still have some rambutans that are alive and kicking. I think pulasan is even more cold sensitive than durian....at least the seedlings that I have planted out seem to demonstrate that  I would think that to have any chance of getting pulasan to any size....you need to not allow ambient temps to go below 60. Constant 70's or higher would be much better, but 55 pretty much did my plants in.  That reality jolted me into the realiztion that unless I build a greenhouse, I will never be able accomplish this dream.  The fact that the pulasan trees were not huge and were still fruiting gave me hope that this could be done in a reasonable amount of time.  The temperature is the only hindrance.  Anyway, if you can control the temp...give it a go.....it is a challenge, but if you are succesful, you will be rewarded with an excellent fruit if you get a good culitvar.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »

Onegreenworld sells a lot of different pawpaw varieties. I hear the Peterson pawpaw varieties are very good. Axel over at cloudforest also has a pawpaw selection that taste like cherimoya.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »
I think he's being a bit dramatic to assess the difference at 100x. But that's LL 

Et Tu, Brutus?

well maybe I was being over dramatic...

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »
I have successfully germinated seeds from a supermarket bought Rambutans! They were delicious and very sweet! I can't remeber the country of origin...maybe Thailand or Malaysia!
I wanted to see if they will adapt to a sub-tropical climate...and they didn't!!! :( :( :(

@Adam- Good luck with the Nepheliums!!! :) And as always...KEEP US POSTED!!! I would really like to see them produce in a pot!!!!
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
I have successfully germinated seeds from a supermarket bought Rambutans! They were delicious and very sweet! I can't remeber the country of origin...maybe Thailand or Malaysia!
I wanted to see if they will adapt to a sub-tropical climate...and they didn't!!! :( :( :(

@Adam- Good luck with the Nepheliums!!! :) And as always...KEEP US POSTED!!! I would really like to see them produce in a pot!!!!

Irradiation requirement for rambutan may just be for USA. Don't know if Europe requires it? They may not be as worried as USA about fruitfly infestation in their colder climates.
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »

Oscar
This past summer I got to try 4 varieties of some of the best PawPaws from the Univ of Kentucky experimental grove. I will contact a grower that I know to see if he is willing to ship to Hawaii. My thoughts on Paw Paws...they are OK but not even close to a good Atemoya or Sugar Apple.
NR

FloridaGreenMan

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »
by the way ethan, im not for a second suggesting u didnt enjoy the rambutan but do u recall, Ian was kind enough to give us a box of fruit containing mangosteen, pulsan and rambutan. the mangosteen went in a second. the pulsan were eventually eaten but we barely made a dent into the rambutan and i think we ultimately either left it behind or gave it away to the hotel staff
LL, I believe you would have left durian behind too. :o  Rambutan is not as good as mangosteen, pualasan or even marang for that matter but it was nice to eat, esp. if that is all you had.

Oscar, I believe that we did try fruits from grafted Seebabat among others on the trip and I believe that Juan's tree is a Seebabat seedling?

mmmmmmmarang,
-Ethan

Juan named his Pulasan the "Maruca" Pulasan and he plans to eventually produce grafted trees. 

FloridaGreenMan