Author Topic: Lapins Cherry Tree  (Read 3620 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Lapins Cherry Tree
« on: January 26, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »
Hello Friends,

I have a Lapins Cherry Tree that is about 12' feet tall. It is currently in a 25 gallon container. It has already fruited for me and I expect a large crop this coming season. Unfortunately, the tree's tap root has broken through the bottom of the pot and has rooted itself in the ground below. Now that the tree is dormant, would it harm the Cherry tree or do any damage if I dig up the tree to relocate or re-pot? Or, would it be okay to Root-Prune the tap root so that I can put the tree back into a container for the time being?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Jacob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Lapins Cherry Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »
Jacobi - I just transplated 6 apple, peach and pear trees about a month ago  that had been in the ground for about 1 1/2 years, as I just created my "orchard" space in my yard.  I severely shorted each of their rooting systems, I'm quite sure. 

Everyone of them is doing grand, two are flowering, another couple sprouting growth - me thinks that Dormant trees easily handle severe root pruning - you might want to cut some of the branches off the tree as the smaller root structure might not be able to feed the full canopy that is there now.  But I think you should do it - perhaps add a root stimulator or some kelp powder (made in to a tea) to help with the root growth...

I remember when I got my dormant 15 gallon 4 in  1 low chill pear and when I transplanted it from the nursery pot, the root ball fell apart and all there was, was  just this stalk of a thick root, chopped off at the bottom (in order to fit in the pot) with a couple swizzles of small roots coming out its side with nothing else and it recovered and grew - no problem.....

FangoMang

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
MangoFang,

Thanks so much for letting me know that my Cherry Tree should be fine with the root prune and transplant.  I just needed to hear that someone else had done something similar to give me the courage.

Thanks Again,

Jacob

warmwxrules

• La Crosse, WI, zone4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 11:40:21 AM »
If the tree is dormant, you can do almost anything you want to it.  I transplanted some very large sweet cherries in late fall one year and the next year they still flowered/fruited, although yield was very low.  I have Lapins, Stella, Kristin and Black Gold.

North_Tree_Man

• Downingtown, PA - 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »
You should have no problem pruning the roots right now, or uprooting and planting it, as long as it's dormant.

Jacob13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »
Hello Friends,

North_Tree_Man and warmwxrules - Thank you both so much for the advice and the information.  I really have no experience with deciduous fruit trees and any and all information is welcome and appreciated.

Jacob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk