Author Topic: Mango Tree Splitting  (Read 7767 times)

natsgarden123

Mango Tree Splitting
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »
I posted this on the other site but I am looking for more help with this...
This tree looks amazing-there is new growth pushing out everywhere right now. However, there is a split in the middle. I saved this tree from a neighbors garbage about 6 months ago ( don't know what i was thinking here). Please note that the center branch is already gone-only the stump of it is left ( about 6 inches) -the offshoots have grown right below it.   Is the tree going to die?  Do I have to chop the whole thing off?  THANKS  ???

**ADMIN EDIT** I corrected your photo posts!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:28:30 AM by pj1881 »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tree Splitting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
It looks like all that you have left is the rootstock? The leader (center) was probably the grafted selection.. Although is that a flower spike remnant in the first picture?

Maybe top work the shoots?? Clean up the center..
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:32:12 AM by pj1881 »

natsgarden123

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
The graft is well below ( at least 12 inches) so I dont think this is the rootstock ( would it be possible -so high above the graft?)

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »
I don't really know the cause but there are at least 4 branches originating at the same level on the trunk. Branching should be spaced around the trunk at different levels for a more even distribution of load bearing stress in wind and while holding fruit. That's how I used to shape small peach trees. Has it been very windy lately?
Richard

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
That just looks like the boundary between live wood and dead wood. The center piece of the trunk at the top is dead, so the live wood is growing over it (branches), which acts similarly to scar tissue.
Alexi

natsgarden123

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
My concern is that on one side, the bark is coming off right at that junction.  I'm also concerned about the outward limbs not having enough support and splitting. Can I support this in any way?  With the bark coming off lead to the trees demise? Can I cover or mend that area?  Silly as it may seem, I feel like I saved the poor tree from the garbage dump and id like to see him live

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
My concern is that on one side, the bark is coming off right at that junction.  I'm also concerned about the outward limbs not having enough support and splitting. Can I support this in any way?  With the bark coming off lead to the trees demise? Can I cover or mend that area?  Silly as it may seem, I feel like I saved the poor tree from the garbage dump and id like to see him live

Ignore my dead wood comment.  I noticed that the whole tree is alive without any dead sections.

Does the wood under the peeling bark look fresh?

If a small layer of wood near the surface is dry, the bark on top of it can peel off. As long as you don't see a white color to the wood, which means that the wood is fresh and live, you shouldn't be worried about it.  That's just my opinion from my experience with mango trees. Maybe somebody with more experience will give you the same or a different answer.
Alexi

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »
I would make that tree into an experiment. I would put it in intensive care the way pj1881 got accelerated results>>>>
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1222445314042.html

Worst case.....Let it grow and get rooted this year (give it nice fertilizer and mulch) then pug it early next year February.  I pugged a Fairchild mango (at 20 inches) that was growing ugly and got great results. I pugged it April of last year after all panicles and little fruits fell off, I got pissed off and disgusted so I took drastic pugging action. But it had been rooting 18-24 months. Ask for a photo and I'll post it.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:28:57 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
As I stated on the "other" board, the concern here should be whether any disease has "infultrated" the "wound area".  As you previously stated, at least some of the area where the bark is "removed" is spongy.  This is telling me that there is more damage than just cosmetic (and as I had said I had a Mallika with very similar damage).  To avoid further damage down the road and in an attempt to protect the life of the tree, I would recommend cutting the main trunk of the tree below the damage.  Below the damaged area but as high above the graft as possible.

I would hate to see the tree grow to a size/age where it was producung with larger limbs and have the limbs split and peel away from the tree at the damagaed area, causing possible irreparable harm to the tree.  Better to take care of it now and have to wait a year to recover than to wait two or three years, have the tree get damaged, and then have to wait another year or two (or three) for the tree to regrow.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »
Just wanted to post more pics.  They woody area is not spongy ( I didn't have that right). Sounds, however, like the poor thing needs to be hacked ( uh pugged...) differing opinions but it doesn't look good..

***ADMIN PIC LINK REPAIR***
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:51:17 PM by pj1881 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »
You have lots of leaf growth up there. This means your mango will be rooting more and more, just give it time and this growing season. Growth above means growth below (rooting outward).  Hopefully it heals this season and surprises. If not then pug away early next year when you have the more extensive root system in place to power new branch and leaf growth top side.  (I know I'm repeating myself)

natsgarden123

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »
Sounds like good advice mr zands. Thanks . Ill report back later :)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »
I vote for doing what Zands says and leaving it alone and just fertilizing it. Pruning and stuff may just open it up to more problems. Trees are excellent at compartmentalizing damaged and diseased parts of the tree and sometimes when we cut below the damage we are reopening an area that has already been sealed off by the tree. I don't think we give our trees enough credit. A good book on pruning that talks about all of this is "Modern Arboriculture" by Shigo.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 07:23:58 AM »
Wow I got your vote murahilin...I must be getting smarter....no sarcasm