Author Topic: Citrus fertilizer  (Read 9460 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Citrus fertilizer
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »
Alright I already hit my citrus trees(and most of my other trees) with a seaweed foliar spray one week, a liquid fish spray the next and then a pesticide spray(either Neem or spinosad depending on the weather) the third week and start the process over. What is a good granular fertilizer for me to be putting on the trees. I have been using the nursery recommended citrus and avocado and palm fert but it is likely not optimized for citrus.
So what should I use and does anyone have a good link to an online supplier? Nursery doesn't sell fertilizer since there is a home depot right around the corner and HD only has the fore-mentioned citrus and avocado stuff in the orange bag.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
Your citrus leaves must shine dark green with that fine spraying regimine.
Lilly Miller 10-5-4 azalea, camellia & rhody fertilizer was recommended to me for citrus above their citrus specific fertilizer and works well. HD should stock or be able to order.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:54:26 PM »
Most any fertilizer with a high nitrogen and potassium level, and a low phosphorus level that also contains trace minerals would be an OK fertilizer for citrus.  In the book "The Genus Citrus" under the chapter "Soil And Cultural Practices" it states that a fertilizer must be chosen that will replace the minerals, and their ratio, that are lost from a citrus orchard, by being taken up by the roots of the trees in the grove. It further states that citrus trees absorb nutrients in the ratio 5-1-3.  Meaning that for every 5 parts nitrogen that the roots of a citrus tree absorbs from the soil, it will take up only one part phosphorus, and 3 parts potassium.  Fertilizer must respect this ratio when the mineral content in the leaves is satisfactory. Obviously, in cases where the soil has an over dosage or a deficiency of one or more elements, this ratio must be changed to a more appropriate one.  I use Jack's Pro High Performance 25-5-15 Fertilizer (a 5-1-3 ratio fertilizer) made by the J.R. Peter Company, because it has the perfect ratio of nutrients that citrus absorb. It has worked very well for me over the years. - Millet
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:09:18 PM by Millet »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
Thanks for the info guys

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
I use a grass fertilizer, 15-5-10 with the trace elements. I t has worked very well for me.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 08:33:37 PM »
Bidding man's fertilizer also meets the requirements of a fertilizer that can be used on citrus.  It contains higher levels of Nitrogen and Potassium with a lower amount of Phosphorous. - Millet

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »
That is good to know!  The citrus fertilizer I use now is 8-4-2, so I had better be locating some other type (I also rely heavily on HD, but there is a new organic nursery in town that might have what I need).  Also, since my tropical hibiscus like low phosphorous also, if I find something that works, I can feed them with it as well.
I don't use foliar sprays at all, but the seaweed and fish emulsion sprays sound like a great idea.  My coffee would probably appreciate it.
Anybody have any brand recommendations, or are they pretty similar as long as it says you can use it as a foliar spray?

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
On the liquid fish and sea weed I get them from Amazon. Ignore anything that says extract. Liquid fish I think is the actual name of the product and is literally liquified fish and not squeezed fish. Neem which I also use is the real thing not extract. Extract is lacking on certain things the real thing has. Unfortunately HD never carries anything but extract that I have seen.

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 07:56:36 PM »
Thanks!
Now I have a little more info to pick the best things for my "green kids".

Carolyn

Blake Branch

• Manor, GA, USA USDA zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 01:08:14 AM »
I would take a soil sample first, before choosing a fertilizer.  This will determine what you actually need. 

The primary reason for choosing a ratio like a 5-1-3 is due to how each of the 3 primary nutrients act in the soil.  Phosphorus has a tendency to build up in the soil, while nitrogen and potassium will leach out quickly in areas of high rainfall.  Leaching is especially true in soils that have a low cation exchange capacity (CEC) and/or low organic matter, like the sand ridges in central Florida.  In the southeastern U.S, unless you live in clay hills or in a flatwoods swamp, then your native soil will usually have a low CEC.  Other factors like soil pH can also have an effect on how the soil holds onto nutrients. 

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 12:02:53 AM »
Do you test your own soil (I have the little NPK kit that I bought at the nursey), or do you take it to a lab?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 03:14:42 AM »
I've become a big fan of Foliage Pro for both foliar and root feeding; majors, minors, and micros. Micros (at least some of them)seem to be missing from many of the ferts I've seen.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »
Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 has elevated levels of N & K and a lower lever of P. It is a 3-, 1, 2 ratio fertilizer and generally has a nutrient ratio that would work well with citrus.  Although one would have to add a higher quantity of fertilizer each time to satisfy a heavy feeding plant like citrus, or increase the frequancy of applications. . - Milllet
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:32:29 AM by Millet »

Blake Branch

• Manor, GA, USA USDA zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »
Do you test your own soil (I have the little NPK kit that I bought at the nursey), or do you take it to a lab?

I send my samples off to a private lab.  Most labs, both private and university, will send recommendations based on what crop you identify on the sample bag.  If the plants are already planted, it would be a good idea to send a leaf sample along with the soil sample. The leaves should be washed under running water if you have been spraying foliar fertilizers.  Fertilizer that was not absorbed can cause errors in the analysis.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 10:21:24 AM »
I would take a soil sample first, before choosing a fertilizer.  This will determine what you actually need.

Yep, and a petiole analysis would be even better.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »
The need for soil testing depends a lot whether your growing in the ground or in a container.  Containers can be flushed out with clean clear pure water a couple times a year in the amount of 4X the container's volume,  and then start afresh with a complete fertilizer W/micros. - Millet

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
The need for soil testing depends a lot whether your growing in the ground or in a container.  Containers can be flushed out with clean clear pure water a couple times a year in the amount of 4X the container's volume,  and then start afresh with a complete fertilizer W/micros. - Millet

Assuming all elements are in soluble form and do not hold an opposite electrical charge to the soil particles.  For example, nitrate forms of N will leach, ammonical will not. 

Just got up my veggie garden analysis from Agrilife.  Best bang for the buck for a comprehensive analysis.

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »
what do you guys think of this ????  i no its not the 5/1/3 .... looking for a Fertilizer for my pots...
swimmingfree

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Grow-More-Lawn-Fertilizer-Water-Soluble-p/citrus-grower-blend.htm

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 02:17:59 PM »
That's a really weak and incomplete food.  Try Peters Citrus FeED or Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro or a real value food which I just bought:
http://www.amazon.com/77770-Petunia-Magnesium-Fertilizer-25-Pound/dp/B002HJGULU/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1414760967&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=JR+Peters+Petunia+FeED

You could always kick up the N with blood meal, ammonium sulfate, UAN, urea, etc.

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »
that a lot of  Fertilizer  for a fue small pots ...lol lol 
that one reason i was looking at that Fertilizer ...   
a cup of  Fertilizer wood do my trees for a year..  lol 
swimmingfree

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »
Swimmingfree, the fertilizer you show, has an extremely low level of nitrogen, absolutely no phosphorus.  Citrus are heavy feeder and requires a lot more nutrition that that fertilizer can give. - Millet

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »
thank you Mr Millet....
hay is some one willing to sell a  cup or two of good  Fertilizer for potted trees????
swimmingfree

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »
thank you Mr Millet....
hay is some one willing to sell a  cup or two of good  Fertilizer for potted trees????
swimmingfree

OK, let's make this real nice and easy. Buy some DG Fo Pro and be done with it.  It is complete and easy to use. 1 tsp/gallon and you're done.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=Dyna-Gro+Foliage+Pro&rh=n%3A2972638011%2Ck%3ADyna-Gro+Foliage+Pro

A link on plant nutrition and pH.
http://www.staugorchidsociety.org/PDF/IPAFertilizers.pdf

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 03:07:02 PM »
Swimmingfree, send me a PM with your address and I will send  you a pound of  Jacks 25-5-15 fertilizer which also contains all the trace elements.- Millet

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 07:27:28 AM »
will send you my address if i can pay shipping .....
swimmingfree

Mark in Texas

• View Profile

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »
it not the cost of it its a have two 12inch pots one 10 inch pot and 4 4 inch pots...   so 25 pounds wood last me forever ...
swimmingfree

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »
it not the cost of it its a have two 12inch pots one 10 inch pot and 4 4 inch pots...   so 25 pounds wood last me forever ...
swimmingfree

Split with friends, use on the veg garden or turf or........