Author Topic: Anyone growing olives?  (Read 4065 times)

A.T. Hagan

• N/C Fla
    • View Profile
Anyone growing olives?
« on: October 13, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
I'm in the n/c Florida area and after reading several articles about a nascent olive industry slowly coming into being in my state it has piqued my interest.

I have recently acquired the four varieties showing the most promise (thus far) for the northern half of the state.  They're all fairly small so I'm going to grow them out in containers for a while until they're larger then will plant them out.

I'm also looking to pick up some Mission, Sevillano, and Ascalano trees for table olives.

Anyone else growing olives?  What varieties did you choose?  How are they growing for you?

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing olives?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 12:09:48 AM »
I too am in a similar situation and climate to you on the 8b/9a line in Louisiana and have been giving thoughts to olives, and can't wait to see if someone posts some useful comments.

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »
Growing mission and arbequina here. Outside unprotected. No issues disease wise, though recommend planting on a mound or higher area as ive lost both mission and arbequina  to damp soil conditions. Definitley do not do well in low wet areas.  My largest arbequina is now  6x6 but yet to produce. 3 years old now..

A.T. Hagan

• N/C Fla
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
Yes, everything I've read indicates olives really don't like wet feet! 

Fortunately I'm on the sand ridge so that won't be a problem.

Anyone else trying their hand?

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
There is a very popular olive oil company in southern GA. One of their websites is below:

http://georgiaolivefarms.com/gof/products-services/

I think they grow mostly Arbequina.

I also saw some fruiting at the Savannah Bamboo Gardens...

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
I have all arbequina.  They started off slow but are growing a lot faster now.  I have had a few olives here and there bit not enough for a harvest yet.  They dont seem to have issues with the cold at all.

A.T. Hagan

• N/C Fla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:19:48 AM »
There is a very popular olive oil company in southern GA. One of their websites is below:

http://georgiaolivefarms.com/gof/products-services/

I think they grow mostly Arbequina.

I also saw some fruiting at the Savannah Bamboo Gardens...

I got a couple of my Arbequinas from them when they set up at the Sun Belt Expo a few years ago.

botanical pilot

• Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 12:34:33 AM »
I have a pair of kalamatas in pots from this guy -> http://www.oregonolivetrees.com/index_files/Amphissis.htm
He really taught me a lot and is a good resource for information. I don't know why I didn't buy another variety from him, hopefully he will have another sale on his property this spring.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
I grow several Arbequina and a Koroneki. My in ground koroneki and Arby in the 5 years I have grown them have managed about 7 feet tall. No production. I have an arby in a pot I rescued after a land dispute and it has not grown very large even after 5 years although it is a solid tree.

Overall I find olives to be relatively indestructible with no pests, diseases or any other issues. I believe its olives that I read were planted in antiquity in poor terrain saving the more sensitive crops for better soil due to their tenacity. I see them being a major cash crop in FL when/if the citrus crop ever really fails and the orchards are far enough from civilization to avoid being turned into track housing hells like they are in Central Fl. The only real negatives are they are very slow growing and are slow to start fruiting. There are also no processing facilities that I know of at this point.

Olives and loquats are at the top of my list for replacement trees when I lose something else.

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 07:30:48 PM »
I am from Greece and have some olive trees. I have been in Reunion island where they grow as ornemental trees olive trees. Reunion island is one of the most rainy region in the world. The most important is to give a well drained soil..
Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 09:21:23 PM »
How's the pollination?  Most cultivars are self fertile, no?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 07:10:50 PM »
it is by wind... yes totally self pollination
Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical