Author Topic: Recommendations Please  (Read 2483 times)

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Recommendations Please
« on: August 09, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »
A few weekends ago, after attending Mango Mania, I drove over to Treehouse Nursery to purchase a Lemon Zest. The only one they had left is in the photos (7 Gal).
I wasn't too thrilled with the shape but figured I could cut it back to get it to fill out.

One of the branches was pretty much straight up so I cut it back to 3" above the fork (sorry....I didn't take a before shot). As you can see, it already has new growth
on the branch that was cut. I would like to cut back the other branch and was wondering: Should I cut the 2nd branch 3" above the fork or go a little higher? Any other
recommendations welcomes.

Michael

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »
I think your plan to cut the one remaining original branch is a good one.  Cut it above the fork where the lowest shoots come off it.

In essence then you'd have a tree with three main branches, and the one main branch with several shoots coming off it.

If you're fortunate, the stronger roots now should cause your two new main branches to catch up.

Be sure the tree receives enough sun.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »
I think your plan to cut the one remaining original branch is a good one.  Cut it above the fork where the lowest shoots come off it.

In essence then you'd have a tree with three main branches, and the one main branch with several shoots coming off it.

If you're fortunate, the stronger roots now should cause your two new main branches to catch up.

Thanks

To be clear, are you suggesting that I cut it above the uppermost fork (the fork in picture one just above the baseline of the house),
 not just above the fork where I made the first cut?
Michael

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 12:54:37 AM »

Thanks

To be clear, are you suggesting that I cut it above the uppermost fork (the fork in picture one just above the baseline of the house),

Yes, that is what I am recommending.  Just above the baseline of the house.

It wouldn't hurt to wait a bit, either, so there is more above ground leaf volume to feed the roots for a while.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:04:28 AM by jcaldeira »
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:46:13 AM »

Good idea. Thank you!

Thanks

Yes, that is what I am recommending.  Just above the baseline of the house.

It wouldn't hurt to wait a bit, either, so there is more above ground leaf volume to feed the roots for a while.
Michael

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:09:33 AM »
I would cut it way back to 12-16-18 inches. Whatever height you choose cut it below the two branches. Below the fork.
Maybe wait a few weeks before cutting/eliminating the original trunk. Think about that cutting operation. Maybe yes maybe no to eliminate it. Offhand I would say no, you might be very surprised what might start growing out of the original trunk once you cut the new trunk way back....that the original trunk will be stimulated to push out new branches.
Wait until next year and maybe never cut the original trunk

But for now....Cut back the new trunk below the fork and plant it ASAP .... I have been there and done this to a mango tree that was similar but with lots of black soot too. Plant the LZ asap so it can grow back faster. Do not keep it in a pot thinking and thinking where to plant it. LZ is a fast grower so you are in luck.

It is emotionally tough to do but it the best way.
The obvious being that trees in pots grow slower than trees in the ground

***Far better to have your LZ now (which you did) and work some magic on it starting now!
***I did this to a Fairchild mango a few years ago and it came out fine.
***This kind of low decapitation will promote a more bushy tendency anyway which is what most people want
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:13:26 AM by zands »

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 10:22:59 AM »
If you cut below the fork you will eliminate what looks like rot.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »
I was given a Mallika several months ago that looked very similar--it was kept in the pot too long and not well cared for.  I cut the secondary trunk way back.  It put out several new branches and is currently healthy and filling out well.
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 10:30:51 AM »
Just noticed it is a 7 gallon
Make sure to unbind roots and unbind circling roots at bottom of the pot before planting in the ground. It has been in that pot a long time and is root bound (most likely)

You are in luck to have that more extensive root system than a 3 gallon LZ....
This will help a lot in recovering from the severe cutting back you are about to do.

Mango trees are very resilient. They want to live.