Author Topic: Big Plant Giveaway - You Can't Take it with You  (Read 4299 times)

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Big Plant Giveaway - You Can't Take it with You
« on: February 01, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
UPDATE: Thanks to the great response from everybody, I have my work cut out for me today!  I'm trying to get through all the PMs sent, reserving plants on a first come-first served basis.  Please be patient if you haven't heard from me yet.  Also, please understand that the inventory was initially created for my personal use, so it includes a few things I'm planning to keep.  If you look at the inventory and see a plant is greyed-out, that's an indication that it's already spoken for.  Thanks again to all the fellow forumites willing to give some plants a good home!

Greetings fellow dendrophiles. It's official, were leaving Rancho Cucamonga in inland southern California for the hill country of Texas in June, and our climate zone loss is your exotic collecting gain. (Almost) everything must go! The movers can't ship plants, and while I'm planning to bring a few smaller seedlings in the back of the Fiat, most of my collection needs a new home.

Please take a look at my latest inventory https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Y3Ugjk4KR12ePqumq-36al_cZlXH5tq6OzLms3UwMw/edit?usp=docslist_api if you're in southern California, and message me if you'd like to come by. Sorry, they are for pick up only. I'll do my best to keep the inventory up to date, but I plan on bringing some to Foothill CRFG meetings and to friends, so you may want to check with me ahead of a visit if you're interested in something specific.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:07:23 PM by emegar »
James

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Big Plant Giveaway - You Can't Take it with You
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
What an incredible collection! I Don't think I would be able to give them up, but good luck with the move. I'll PM with an interest list.

Richard

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 07:45:19 PM »
PM sent.
Sorry to hear you're leaving So Cal.
Thera

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »
Good luck of moving, wish u the very best. Pm for cherimoya seedlings. Thanks.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:06:19 PM »
Hi James

PM sent

Max

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:20:31 PM »
James,

I see you finally pulled the trigger.
We'll miss you.

I sent you a PM too.

Warren
Warren

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 10:24:01 PM »
Persimmons are extremely popular in Texas as the rootstock for them grows wild there. Another good one is Pawpaw, who is currently underway for some good varieties. There are tastings for pawpaw all over the southeast and you could potentially ask those people to ship some scion. The juicy factor is covered by peaches plums and the lot. Oil rich comes from almonds and hazelnuts. Creamy is pawpaw. You could also try maypop for flavor, but is kinda unreliable. Seabuckthorn is a good source of vitamin C and very sour. There are others as well like kiwi cuttings, chinese date, pear, che cuttings, mulberry, fig cuttings, and goumi. Of course you can get all the stone fruits you want, but looking at your list, it'll be tough.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:56:53 PM by NathanC »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:56:27 PM »
I PM'ed you, too, James.  But I'm bummed you're headed out of the "zone".  Texas hill country -
I think of Austin, maybe???

And you know, you could get a nice sized greenhouse thing going, too.....

Gary

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 12:46:27 AM »
I know someone of someone on  instagram in texas, who grows tropicals in a 10,000 sqft greenhouse. I dont know much about the finances of greenhouses but I guess its still possible. But I dont know how realistic.

NathanC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:58:12 AM »
I'm surprised that the more common fruits aren't claimed yet. They need love too :'( It's too bad I don't live in CA. Could I have some cuttings of a few?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 01:23:37 AM »
James,

I pm'd you.

Mark

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 06:16:02 AM »
James,

If I was you I would bring all the jaboticabas , rain forest plum, cherry of Rio grande and che with me.

Ed
Texas

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Ed.  I'll bring what I can.  Unfortunately, space in the cars is a serious limitation.  I'll keep your recommendations in mind, though!

James

James,

If I was you I would bring all the jaboticabas , rain forest plum, cherry of Rio grande and che with me.

Ed
Texas
James

NathanC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »
Just a thought, most of the plants that do well in Texas also are flood tolerant. You can potentially make a rain garden (this type of garden diverts rainwater to a central area). The best place to get tropicals  is in the Brownsville-Harlingen area. If you live some where colder then bamboo, ume plum, and kumquats are also nice. Citrus on flying dragon rootstock and stuff like jabaticoba and sapodilla (makok&silas woods) stay small and potted for 10 years. Diospyros virginiana is the name of the rootstock for persimmon and some good varieties of asian are 'Giombo', 'Kyung Ban San Si/Korean', 'Honan Red', 'Suruga', and select 'Great Wall' seedlings.

drummer

• moreno valley,california
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 10:11:16 PM »
Sorry to hear about you leaving
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:28:21 PM by drummer »
Nelson