Author Topic: Establishing new Pickering mango in SC  (Read 5790 times)

jaj2276

• USA, SC, Charleston
    • View Profile
Establishing new Pickering mango in SC
« on: July 18, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »
I bought a Pickering Mango from Pine Island Nursery and had it mailed to my residence in Charleston SC (about 5 miles from coast). I was going to grow this exclusively in a container but I have this nice place right in front of my house (which faces southeast). So I planted it (this was mid-June). I've attached a picture.

A few questions:

-- The plant was tied to a piece of bamboo for support. When I transplanted, I left the tree attached to this bamboo. Should I remove the ties but leave the bamboo? Remove the ties and bamboo?

-- We have a bad deer problem here and they're constantly eating anything new I plant. They haven't done anything to the tree yet but should I be worried?

-- Should I do anything to the plant this year besides making sure it there's sufficient water? Obviously over the winter I'll cover it if we get a freeze (we seem to get 1-2/yr).

-- When should I expect to see new growth on this tree?

Thanks for any replies!

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Establishing new Pickering mango in SC
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
Personally, I would dig that up and put it in a pot. It's not easy to fruit for those in northern Florida, let alone SC. It's much too young to survive the frosts even with protection.  The deer could easily eat that to a stump too. Why gamble with an expensive tree?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
This tree you will want to keep in a container,  move indoors when it gets too cold out,   Pickering does well in containers.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 03:54:14 PM »
I agree with the recommendation to keep it in a container. As a zone pusher in central FL, I've had at least one young mango killed outright despite being covered with a heat source during a freeze. It is very unlikely you would be able to get one to fruiting size there in the ground. But as a potted specimen, there's an excellent chance you could fruit it there.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »
Pot It !..

Good Luck Fellow Zone Pusher ! ;)
Zone 10

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 10:00:38 PM »
My 7g potted Pickering fruited 3 nice and tasty mangos this year.  Im gonna keep it in the pot for another year and then decide what to do with it.  I would pot it but if you don't just make sure to cover it and use a heat source as well.  You may want to keep it in a pot for a few years and then plant it.  May be able to take cold a little better without killing the whole tree if freeze occurs.  Just my two cents

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:31:18 PM »
Geez, Pine Island sure is shipping some tiny trees.  As for growing in the ground,  first, pull back thst hay immediately, you dont want those crown roots covered.   I hope its not planted too deep (I cant see the graft).  Wait, scrap those instructions, save the tree's life znd dig it up now  (the root ball should still be fully intact as long as you didn't break it up, and hopefully you didn't ), put it vack into that 3 gal pot, let it get larger. And eventually bump it into a 7 gal or 15 gal pot either much later this year or next year.
- Rob

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 12:28:20 AM »
Potting in a cloth bag like a Jackpot will speed up the growth rate dramatically.  And you can step up the pot size as needed.   I have a grafted Genip that languished for several years in plastic pots.  It  tripled its size in one year after repotting in a Jackpot.
Dan

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »
Potting in a cloth bag like a Jackpot will speed up the growth rate dramatically.  And you can step up the pot size as needed.   I have a grafted Genip that languished for several years in plastic pots.  It  tripled its size in one year after repotting in a Jackpot.

This is a Pickering,  there is nothing that is gonna speed up it growth,  especially "dramatically".  A Pickering is a slow grower, plain znd simple and even more emphasis to its slowed growth when being grown in South Carolina. .
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:34:44 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »
Jackpot is a new product, so it's not safe to say that it can't hold its own. I say ... try it!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »
Jackpot is a new product, so it's not safe to say that it can't hold its own. I say ... try it!

??? ??? ???
- Rob

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 11:06:04 PM »
My Pickering, planted in the ground in a nice sunny location in no-freeze south St. Pete, has grown not quite 2 feet in two and a half years -- they're that slow. It's a nice little tree, carried 4 mangoes this year, but it's a slow grower.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 02:09:02 PM »

??? ??? ???

Like usual, you don't know anything about mangos Rob. I put a Julie tree in a jackpot and it grew 6 inches in the first year! Those things really work.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »

??? ??? ???

Like usual, you don't know anything about mangos Rob. I put a Julie tree in a jackpot and it grew 6 inches in the first year! Those things really work.

Sheehan, you are confusing this jackpot with some type of pump.  And you call it a "Julie"?

Ok, in all seriousness, a whole 6 inches in a year.  Wow.  Wasn't one of those "special" Julies was it.  Hahahahahaha
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:27:28 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »
I agreed that 6" in a year is nothing. 24 to 36" is something to proud about.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »

??? ??? ???

Sheehan, you are confusing this jackpot with some type of pump.  And you call it a "Julie"?

Ok, in all seriousness, a whole 6 inches in a year.  Wow.  Wasn't one of those "special" Julies was it.  Hahahahahaha

Lol. Maybe it was 4.5 inches.... I always round up to 6.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 10:11:26 AM »
You can grow it in ground but you will need a big intensive protection for the winter; so big, in fact, that it can't be prepared accurately after the plant is planted. Also, not everyone may want to do the effort needed to grow such plant in ground. So i suggest to plant it in a pot too. After you are familiar with its growing requirement you can decide if you want to do the efforts needed to grow it in ground.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 10:23:56 AM »

??? ??? ???

Lol. Maybe it was 4.5 inches.... I always round up to 6.

Thats what George said...
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk