Author Topic: What kind of water pump should I invest in?  (Read 7560 times)

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
What kind of water pump should I invest in?
« on: August 29, 2014, 04:51:38 AM »
Hi.

I want to buy a water pump. Everything is now on self pressure. I would like to pump it like 50 meter up from the river to my house. There I have one tank but Im afraid I must built one closer to the "station". And to have battery, pump and all that in the same please, right?

Do you know anything about theese pumps, to me its a jungle and I get little stressed and make stupid chooses.

Hope somebody can give me advice or input.

Also how to build a tank. Is it possible to do with clay?
I made one with concrete and bricks but its leaking a little.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of water pump should I invest in?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 06:05:50 AM »
You can instal a fiberglass water tank in the ground which should last for a very long time. No Leakage  ;D

Similar to this.

About the water pump you can either use a water pump with float switch attached to it or Automatic water pressure + pump and a Ball Float Valve. Both system will turn On/Off depends on the water level inside the tank.

Good luck
Moh'd

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:08:01 AM »
You will have to measure how high (elevation/head) you want to pump the water. Pumps vary in pressure so your friendly pump salesman will be able to tell you what pump you will need to cover the height your pump needs to reach comfortably.

frukt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:22:09 AM »
So I should ask the salesguys? Should I search the internet or find some local guy?

If internet,, some recommandations?

And the tank.. What would a tank like that cost?

I saw on youtube they made tanks round witch thick fence as armoring. And they built it in one piece. That might also be a good idea.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »
Here it cost about 950 to 800 AED ($300 to $230) for a 400 gallon water tank (fiberglass). I can't remember how much a 1000 Gallon tank cost but it should be around $1000 or maybe less.
Moh'd

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:06:17 AM »
Hi.

I want to buy a water pump. Everything is now on self pressure. I would like to pump it like 50 meter up from the river to my house. There I have one tank but Im afraid I must built one closer to the "station". And to have battery, pump and all that in the same please, right?

Do you know anything about theese pumps, to me its a jungle and I get little stressed and make stupid chooses.

Hope somebody can give me advice or input.

Also how to build a tank. Is it possible to do with clay?
I made one with concrete and bricks but its leaking a little.

I made a goldfish pond from concrete and lined the surface with a white waterproof cement that had ground up fiberglass in it. The pond never leaked. If you can't repair it a new fiberglass tank is a good idea, if you set it in ground just make sure there are no stones against it, set it in a bed of sand and make sure some clown doesn't drive over it :-) Of course having it above ground is a good idea, and you can build it up so you don't need to pump again to get it out.

We used to pump water from a stream in the winter up into our attic since our well was a community well that was shut down in the winter (summer residents) It was plumbed into the house system so we could flush the toilets and boil it for dish washing.  We made a cradle out of wood across the major support beams and drained it when we were gone for a week, then pumped it full every Friday night :-)

IIRC the tank was only 35 gallons or so, just enough to flush for a week if needed using some water conservation.

Regards,

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »
You need a well pump that has enough power to lift water from a 50ft well. Look for one that you can replace the motor. Some pumps are all in one where if the motor goes this is the end of it. Visit some neighbors and see what their well pump looks like and get their advice.

Go to an irrigation supply store. Maybe they have something used plus you can ask questions to learn more

Since you will fill a tank with the water I don't think you need the most powerful pump because you can let the pump take its time. A better/more powerful pump is needed when it is feeding into an active irrigation system where the pump must be on to do the watering.

You have a passive system where you fill a tank and then take water from it

These guys make ferro-cement water tanks and know what they are doing. Cement water tanks need a smooth surface otherwise they breed bacteria. EMAS helps the 3rd world with their drinking water http://www.emas-international.de/index.php?id=9&L=3

Storage tanks - Ferrocement tank using inner form - part 1

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:43:55 AM by zands »

frukt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 01:27:25 AM »
Haha, I had that song in my head just some day ago, "I cant live, if living is without you" but I didnt expect to hear it with pan flutes :)

That looks like a nice tank though. Thank you everyone for your input.

How far from the battery/panels can I have the pump, tank?

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 02:43:02 AM »
You can have the pump anywhere you want it. If you want to go further than the supplied cable length, You will need to increase the copper diameter so you don't lose voltage over the longer distance. An electrician will let you know what size cable you will need.

frukt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 06:12:26 AM »
thx, perfect answer.  :)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
Cheapest yet the most reliable?  Norwesco tank and Grundfos pump. Even though you won't be using a submersible pump, I have 2 that are part of their Constant Water Pressure system going on 10 years and I wouldn't use anything else.  http://www.grundfos.com/  Native home is the netherlands so this brand should be all over your area.  Solar too if you don't want to use electricity from a grid.

Mark
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:42:39 AM by Mark in Texas »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 06:17:16 PM »
Best water pump for such height its a russian diaphragm pump.Vibtation pump they are called.They have no moving parts no bearings and its just an electromagnet.
Its a more efficient technology than having a pump with brushless motor.This is ,,bearing less,,.
These pumps can easily pump 90 meters height ( they can do more but they are made to work at max 10 atm because if they had bigger pressure it would explode the pipes).

They can work non stop,last decades and they consume just 250-300 watts per hour wich is verry efficient for a flow of 10 -20 litters per minute at such high pressure.
The best deep well submersible pump design in the world.
Shurflo and Grundfos look like toys compared to these russian diaphragm pumps.
Also one such pump costs just @ 30-40 dollars wich is insanely low priced for a 10 Atm pressure diaphragm pump with reasonable flow,made from metal.

This is how it looks and its a rare ( non existent basically) pump used in the western europe and USA,Canada,have never heard of them.
West Europe and North America use much more complicated well pumps that cost a lot more and consume more current and are bad designs that fail a lot faster.

Russian pumps are soo much ecological and economical that all the otther well pumps should be banned by the Paris agreement and we should all use these diaphragm pumps like we switched from incandescent light bulbs to LEDs.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:35:00 PM by SeaWalnut »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 10:04:23 PM »
   yes
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:14:27 PM by pineislander »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
Interesting concept.  Wonder how the seals, etc. hold up over 10-20 years?

I just replaced a 15 year old Grundfos 1 HP pump which was working fine with a 3/4 HP, keeping my old one as a spare.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »

I just replaced a 15 year old Grundfos 1 HP pump which was working fine with a 3/4 HP, keeping my old one as a spare.

The seal its the membrane and its made from high quality,highly resistant rubber .Asside that ,the coils are also enclosed in resin so even if water would get under the rubber seal ( impossible) it wont do nothing to the pump.

I bought a russian diaphragm pump that was installed in a well and worked a lot for 35 years and the rubber its in perfect shape.Its a laboratory type of rubber,one you might expect to find on the ISS.
The pump worked perfectly with only the cable joint being slightly affected ( cracked).
It worked for 2 more years in my well before failing due to the old cable so 37 years of work .

But its not over iet as i plan to rewind the coil and cable of this pump then use it again.
This man from UK i think ,its the only one that speak using english language about these pumps,except me here.
Because these pumps are rare in the UK, he rewinded the coils of his pump altough one such pump brand new costs just 30-40 dollars and i think cheaper than if you buy the copper wire and the epoxy resin.
Somme info he offers its flawed ,that the pump needs a 20 minute break after 1,5 hours of use.They can work non stop and it says even in the operating manual .
https://lordovervolt.com/water-pump
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 12:36:25 PM by SeaWalnut »

hademarqvce

• Columbus Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 10:31:38 AM »
I don't have a tank or a river near my house, but I do have a fountain in my backyard that is powered by a solar water pump without using electricity. This may seem interesting to someone, so I will leave this message here. By the way, I really wanted to make the fountain the safest for children and to make it work without electricity. And I'm glad that thanks to new technologies and a solar water pump, I was able to do it. If you are also interested in this, then here woahtech.com you can find more information and characteristics of various solar water pumps.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 03:23:17 AM by hademarqvce »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »
Lots of research and now a  trial suggests Italian made pumps are of excellent quality.  Tallas or Leader brands. Here's a Leader Ecomatic 110 1/2 HP 10 GPM which just kicks butt.  Very well built, unreal output, self contained, quiet for $286 from Kingpumps. It will pump rainwater from 2 outside rainwater tanks into a garden hose for the trees and to provide water for a new Aquafog TurboXE fogger, GT-500 which I need to hang and tie in yet.  Where the top plug is is where a 3/4" garden hose connector will attach to the Aquafog fooger 10' above.

Crap, this has only taken me 4 years of research and procrastination to get this done. Plumbing in was a lot of fun with all the connectors and tolerances, ugh.  :(

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:52:22 AM by Mark in Texas »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 08:11:56 PM »
Lots of research and now a  trial suggests Italian made pumps are of excellent quality.  Tallas or Leader brands. Here's a Leader Ecomatic 110 1/2 HP 10 GPM which just kicks butt.  Very well built, unreal output, self contained, quiet for $286 from Kingpumps. It will pump rainwater from 2 outside rainwater tanks into a garden hose for the trees and to provide water for a new Aquafog TurboXE fogger, GT-500 which I need to hang and tie in yet.  Where the top plug is is where a 3/4" garden hose connector will attach to the Aquafog fooger 10' above.

Crap, this has only taken me 4 years of research and procrastination to get this done. Plumbing in was a lot of fun with all the connectors and tolerances, ugh.  :(

Nice pump and barrels.
I found a russian diaphragm pump at local home.depot for 26 dollars with 2 years warranty here  :D.Didnt bought it but good to know they can be found with warranty also.
Normally, nobody gives you warranty for them here.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
Nice pump and barrels.
I found a russian diaphragm pump at local home.depot for 26 dollars with 2 years warranty here  :D.Didnt bought it but good to know they can be found with warranty also.

Nice score!  Have a link?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »
Nice pump and barrels.

Nice score!  Have a link?
This is the link but i have to say these pumps work on 220v. .If you want one,i can help you
to get from here but the shipping would cost more than the pump itself. https://www.bricodepot.ro/gradina/irigatii/pompa-submersibila-280-w.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 01:39:38 PM by SeaWalnut »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
This is the link but i have to say these pumps work on 220v. .If you want one,i can help you
to get from here but the shipping would cost more than the pump itself. https://www.bricodepot.ro/gradina/irigatii/pompa-submersibila-280-w.html

Thanks but for now I'm good.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 08:37:26 PM »

Thanks but for now I'm good.
I know you like high tech items like this so the offer remains viable long term but you jave to learn how a pump like this works.It makes really strong noize and its good to jave inside a well where the noize doesnt bother you much but to replace the italian hidrofor with it would be a bad idea because of the noize.
I see people here that buy american tools use a converter from 110 to 220 volts.Usually the converter its expensive like 50 dollars wich its double than the pump cost .
Maybe you can find such converter in USA and in that case one such pump will be a beast of a pump.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 07:42:12 AM »
Not interested in high tech as much as being practical, good value, high quality.  Purrs like a kitten too.   https://store.waterpumpsupply.com/lehysy12hp10.html

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 03:01:06 PM »

Mark, i'm about to install my own system. Why did you downsize on your pump?
Shane

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 05:20:37 PM »

Mark, i'm about to install my own system. Why did you downsize on your pump?

Did not need the HP.  3/4 HP provides more than enough for high demand stuff like my turf irrigation pop-ups and I have large yards, like 10,000 s.f.

What demands do you have?