Author Topic: absolute minimum temperature mango and avocado?  (Read 1462 times)

ewhite1990

• Belguim
    • View Profile
absolute minimum temperature mango and avocado?
« on: September 27, 2018, 11:28:06 AM »
hey hey  :)

i'm just a beginner in exotic fruittrees so forgive me if i ask stupid questions here  ;) ::)
i have sprouted some avocado & mango trees last year and this year, from local stores. (i live in Europa, Belgium).
but i'm wondering what is the absolute minimum of temperature they can endure before they dye?  ???
i know they probally can't take frost but still, wondering whats the limets

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: absolute minimum temperature mango and avocado?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »
Its not just the low temperatures.  Below 0 C and they are going to get damaged.  But also long cold winter of europe and low light levels(short days) at northern latitudes will also make them decline.

A greenhouse and supplemental lighting would help a lot.
Brad Spaugh

ewhite1990

• Belguim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »
Its not just the low temperatures.  Below 0 C and they are going to get damaged.  But also long cold winter of europe and low light levels(short days) at northern latitudes will also make them decline.

thanks for the info ^^ i get them true winter inside, but they stop growing true the winter-months indeed :s
i'm guessing some breeds can be grown slightly colder then their usual territory too? or not?

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 04:17:30 PM »
I had both face a -3C (26F) morning here this year and established trees survived ok but were damaged. Small/newly planted mangos were killed and I lost all mango and most avo flowers. Anything that was protected was fine, I should have been prepared and done more of it. If my trees were older and my orchard less open, I think they would have been ok (as evidenced by others in my area).

That temp is a once in a decade (really more) type thing that only lasted about 2 hours. The day was still warm (24C/75F). We normally don’t get below 0C (32F) here.

If it was a yearly occurance, and especially if it was more than once a year, I don’t think I would continue to grow the frost sensitive trees bar a few favourites that would get long term protection.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:26:14 PM by Ulfr »

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 04:32:25 PM »
Before the freeze comes, they will die of root rot. Cold and wet soil will kill them fast.
Mango can survive at 5-10C over the winter with winter sunlight, but you need to know how to water them.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »
The other thing to keep in mind is wind. Even if temps are still within safe range, wind can burn/damage the trees. I've lost more trees to wind than even cold.

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 05:09:17 PM »

thanks for the info ^^ i get them true winter inside, but they stop growing true the winter-months indeed :s
i'm guessing some breeds can be grown slightly colder then their usual territory too? or not?

Mexicola avocado handles as low as 18f when mature