Author Topic: 15 days later my next Zill HP adventure  (Read 3754 times)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
15 days later my next Zill HP adventure
« on: July 19, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
This past Friday I went to the mango lectures for the industry at Fairchild. The only one I recognized was Gary Zill and his son. When the last lecturer who spoke about mangoes in Israel was finished they got all the speakers up to the Dias for a panel discussion. The experts were from Israel, S Africa, India US and Egypt. Attendees were from around the world.
Mr Zill walked out and I moved over to his son Marcelli and we spoke. He told me that if I wanted to get Orange Sherbet Fruit I should go up there Wednesday morning. So yesterday I drove the 77 miles to Zill’s just to buy Orange Sherbet fruit that I have been hearing about on the forum and had already planted a bunch of these trees. Again when I walked in my hands started to shake because the floor and bins were filled up with Orange Sherbets AND Lemon Zest’s which I also have a lot of trees of and have never tasted AND there were 3 Sweet Tarts for the taking although in not pristine condition. Of those 3 varieties I totally loved the size and girth and shape of the Lemon Zest. But that’s a pretty dumb subjective thing to say!
Lastly I was surprised to see a handful of green Lemon Meringues as I thought they matured much earlier.
The giant news is that when I got out of the car Juanna and Marcello were standing outside and I had no intention of buying any trees yesterday but I said hello and asked by any chance if she had any M-4’s and I was floored when she asked how many do you want? Took a few home. So happy so relieved!!!!
Stopped at my daughter’s house on the way home to Kendall.
Just tasted my first Sweet Tart that was good and fun. Bought 3 yesterday. Opened 1 yesterday at my daughter’s and it was good but nothing special to me. My granddaughter’s eyes lit up when she tasted it because she said she loves tart. She only gave it a nine. I tasted the last 2 today. First one was a bit soft on part of it and it was nothing special taste wise. I said what the heck and opened the 3rd pretty firm one with just a bit of yellow on the skin and it was a mango tasting adventure. It was soft inside and tangy and sweet. Very unusual multi-flavored tastes. Was not boring to eat but fun taste wise. 
Then I opened a partially yellowed Lemon Zest which was the first one I ever tasted. My wife tasted the lemon and I did not but it was really a delicious flavored mango. A solid 10.
Somehow I was able to get 3 Lemon Meringues which I thought was an early variety. Haven’t tasted them yet. Too green and hard so far. I did taste one or 2 before and those really had that sweet lemony flavor and those were 10’s for me.
Too bad they are liable to get bacterial black spot some day???

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: 15 days later my next Zill HP adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »
Very keen to learn more about M4 you go, I have it growing and would love to hear how it performed in terms of taste. too bad we in CA are out of luck on florida mangoes that otherwise you are able to secure directly from Zills.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:58:21 AM by behlgarden »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
PPK did multiple crops this year for some people so you saw the 2nd crop.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »
When you were at ZHPP, did anyone happen to say whether they would have any Cotton Candy mangos available anytime soon???  That's one fruit I'd like to taste!
John

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:03:31 PM »
Was there yesterday July 18 2018. Yes they had very small 3 gal Cotton Candy trees.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 10:06:45 PM »
Was there yesterday July 18 2018. Yes they had very small 3 gal Cotton Candy trees.

He meant the fruit for sale.
- Rob

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 10:50:44 PM »
Sorry no Cotton Candy there yesterday. BS B
Do you know if they are yet to be harvested or would they have been picked already?
Thanks

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
When you were at ZHPP, did anyone happen to say whether they would have any Cotton Candy mangos available anytime soon???  That's one fruit I'd like to taste!

Didn’t see any this morning, & I forgot to ask 😓😣. Tons of crates of Orange Sherbet, half a crate of Van Dyke, & an almost full container of 36-8 (I think was the number).
Sergio

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 11:32:20 AM »

Didn’t see any this morning, & I forgot to ask 😓😣. Tons of crates of Orange Sherbet, half a crate of Van Dyke, & an almost full container of 36-8 (I think was the number).

too bad we Californians cant access these mangoes, what are Floridians waiting for? OS for $2/lb. Dang!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »

If it's 36-8...does anyone have comments on this one?  I don't have any notes on this.  Thx.
Warren

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 03:27:31 PM »
Waren, I called Zills (nursery, not fruit stand) and they have boat load of these for sale to evaluate at $2/lb.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 03:31:23 PM »

If it's 36-8...does anyone have comments on this one?  I don't have any notes on this.  Thx.

I have not considered it in the top class although its good.  On par with Orange Essence and Kathy.  It definitely has some characteristics of an Indian mango.  I know in the past, the people from India really liked it.
- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 03:34:12 PM »
I tasted it (courtesy of fellow gardener who brought back some from Florida and was kind enough to share with me). It was very sweet and piney, reminded me of Kesar. those who had this at its peak might be able to confirm. just now that Zills is putting out boat load of buckets of this variety, it might be peak time to try. locals should hit Zills and get few and confirm their findings. Kesar here in So Cal so far has not been able to get brix enough to compare to India's. this might be an alternative.

Note, it has big pit, but bigger size and superb taste makes up for it. Very juicy!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:38:52 PM by behlgarden »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 03:37:04 PM »

This is one that got named “India”. Gary likes it’s commercial potential. I’m wary of it because of the Zill-80 parentage that it shares with Fruit Punch, and this potentially it’s susceptibility to MBBS and rot.

It has an outstanding shelf life though, very productive and good enough flavor that we're Growing it for evaluation.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 03:38:15 PM »
I tasted it (courtesy of fellow gardener who brought back some from Florida and was kind enough to share with me). It was very sweet and piney, reminded me of Kesar. those who had this at its peak might be able to confirm. just now that Zills is putting out boat load of buckets of this variety, it might be peak time to try. locals should hit Zills and get few and confirm their findings. Kesar here in So Cal so far has not been able to get brix enough to compare to India's. this might be an alternative.

It does not taste like Kesar. It belongs in the classic-acidic group with fruit punch and Zill-80.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 03:39:39 PM »

It does not taste like Kesar. It belongs in the classic-acidic group with fruit punch and Zill-80.
Piney like kesar, Fruit Punch is not piney I believe.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »

This is one that got named “India”. Gary likes it’s commercial potential. I’m wary of it because of the Zill-80 parentage that it shares with Fruit Punch, and this potentially it’s susceptibility to MBBS and rot.

It has an outstanding shelf life though, very productive and good enough flavor that we're Growing it for evaluation.

If thats the case, sulcata grove has made a r3view of india variety.
U may want to check this out, behl.

https://youtu.be/TO3-iURjaHQ

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 03:47:54 PM »
Thanks for the video. has anyone else tried this?

the one I had was not watery, not sure why anyone would say "watery" to a mango, it should be called Juicy, no?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 03:51:09 PM »

Piney like kesar, Fruit Punch is not piney I believe.

Gets a faint resinous component (as does 36-8) at certain stages of ripeness but it’s nothing like Kesar.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 12:27:13 PM »
Thanks for the video. has anyone else tried this?

the one I had was not watery, not sure why anyone would say "watery" to a mango, it should be called Juicy, no?

I’ve had mangos that were watery and washed out in flavor this season & this was not one. As for 36-8, the flavor is awesome!! Super sweet (almost coconut/pineapple like taste like a Coconut Cream) with an incredible resinous aftertaste (that reminds me of Rosa mango). Great flavor combinations! & it was very juicy!!! Here’s the beauty I just enjoyed-

Sergio

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »
Waren, I called Zills (nursery, not fruit stand) and they have boat load of these for sale to evaluate at $2/lb.

To be quite honest, When I found out they were $2/lb I almost soiled myself in front of everyone in the office 🤣 Also in my excitement over OS I skipped out on Juliette they also had for sale (and even forgot to mention it on varieties they had lol)
Sergio