Author Topic: Phyllanthus emblica anyone growing it ?  (Read 6650 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Phyllanthus emblica anyone growing it ?
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »
I just got seeds today , teeny weeny and all floaters , any chance they may still be alive ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
Re: Phyllanthus emblica anyone growing it ?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:03:56 PM »
try to germinate them and see what happens.

i've had mine for a few years so i don't remember too much.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
These seeds are not recalcitrant, they can dry out and be fine. So that they float doesn't mean much. They probably will sprout.
BTW, have grown trees here that never fruit. I think they need long dry spell to initiate flowering. Should be fine though at your location.
Oscar

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »
These seeds are not recalcitrant, they can dry out and be fine. So that they float doesn't mean much. They probably will sprout.
BTW, have grown trees here that never fruit. I think they need long dry spell to initiate flowering. Should be fine though at your location.

Thanks for the good news Oscar , the P. acidus does great here spectacular when fruiting . So I'll cross my fingers for the amla.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:43:37 PM »

Thanks for the good news Oscar , the P. acidus does great here spectacular when fruiting . So I'll cross my fingers for the amla.

I'm pretty sure the amla will also do great at your place.
Oscar

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
The alma seeds are actually a capsule and contain tiny seeds inside(if they are round try breaking one open and there will be several seed inside each pod. I had plants of both embic and alma, things have gotten mixed around so not sure which tree is which, I seem to remember that emblic had a higher germination rate than alma. Fruit taste the same. I was told by a Thai friend that when they were a kid they had a sweet acidless alma/emblic that was worth a lot more money. Fruit are tart fresh, and much larger. The make some tasty pickles out of them in India.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 04:10:43 PM »
In Madras, they say amla will make the water taste sweeter even if it was dirty.  ;D
Moh'd

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »
Hi Luc
   Saw your posting here. I have two tall (16m) amla trees. Years back I got them from Goa and Dharwad (Karnataka) in India. The Goa one gives small size fruits (4 cm dia), the Dharwad one gives big size fruits(7 cm diam). Plenty of fruits but no sucess in germinating seeds.
 The garcinias you sent have sprouted ! Thanks

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
The alma seeds are actually a capsule and contain tiny seeds inside(if they are round try breaking one open and there will be several seed inside each pod. I had plants of both embic and alma, things have gotten mixed around so not sure which tree is which, I seem to remember that emblic had a higher germination rate than alma. Fruit taste the same. I was told by a Thai friend that when they were a kid they had a sweet acidless alma/emblic that was worth a lot more money. Fruit are tart fresh, and much larger. The make some tasty pickles out of them in India.

Steven aren't you a little confused ? Amla = P.emblica , has the capsules with tiny seeds . The P.acidus has hard round ribbed seeds .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
Should be amla. And amla is the same as emblic. Also I don't remember them having seed capsules.
Oscar

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »
Hi Luc
   Saw your posting here. I have two tall (16m) amla trees. Years back I got them from Goa and Dharwad (Karnataka) in India. The Goa one gives small size fruits (4 cm dia), the Dharwad one gives big size fruits(7 cm diam). Plenty of fruits but no sucess in germinating seeds.
 The garcinias you sent have sprouted ! Thanks

Hey ' Mangaba ' great to find you on the tropicalfruitforum , welcome ....
Nice to hear the Garcinias are germinating .

About the amla's you grow , do they both taste the same or is one maybe sweet like Steven mentioned ? Even though you mention the seeds do not germinate , I still would like to try for myself , both varieties . Please send me an email . Thanks .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
Should be amla. And amla is the same as emblic. Also I don't remember them having seed capsules.

Yes Oscar , very small seeds in a bigger capsule .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:13 PM »
In Madras, they say amla will make the water taste sweeter even if it was dirty.  ;D

It is true, you know...

Amla does have a small miracle fruit like effect on water, it makes water taste a little sweeter. Doesn't work on sour foods though. I know from personal experience.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »
Whoops yeah, your right, I got them backwards on the their seeds.

murraystevena2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 10:32:33 AM »
Here are my two plants. Before I had more but I lost a few in the year I was gone. I used to have both species, but not sure which species they are. One is 9 feet tall, the other is 4 feet. Hopefully the bigger plant will start to produce fruits soon.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
Here are my two plants. Before I had more but I lost a few in the year I was gone. I used to have both species, but not sure which species they are. One is 9 feet tall, the other is 4 feet. Hopefully the bigger plant will start to produce fruits soon.

Steven , here's a pic of my P.acidus , looking at your leaves you have the P. emblica .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 09:19:20 PM »
I got a pair of small emblic trees from a friend recently...I love the foliage...and the bark.  The tree is interesting because it give the false impression of having pinnate leaves....they're actually simple and arranged on branchlets.

I might try to graft some for fun.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 05:52:34 PM »
such a beautiful tree

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 06:27:06 PM »
Anyone know how to create traditional Ayurvedic Amla powder?
Do you dry whole fruit and crush it seeds and all into powder?

My seedlings are about a year old they seem to go dormant in winter and proving pretty hardy:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 11:45:01 AM »
Hi Luc
 Some time back I sent you some amla seeds. Did you receive them ? Had you success in germinating them ?? Just curios
                                                                    mangaba