Author Topic: Citrus macrophylla  (Read 1948 times)

hear

• USA
    • View Profile
Citrus macrophylla
« on: September 13, 2019, 03:53:00 PM »
Can this grow in zone 8b Savannah GA?

hear

• USA
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus macrophylla
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 04:01:25 PM »
also Citrus pennivesiculata

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »
I am not sure amout the cold hardiness of citrus mac. It is related to papeda and is thought to have come from the Philippines.  I think that FD and Std poncirus are more cold hardy than Mac. I would group it with Carrizo & Troyer as to hardiness. I do not know of anyone that uses it here. From what I know about it (not a lot) it was used for lemon rootstock by some. I grow lemon on its own roots so have not tried it. Perhaps someone that does use it will have more detailed information. I think it is a receptical for tristeza virus.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:03:49 PM by Bomand »

hear

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 06:40:35 PM »
I am not sure amout the cold hardiness of citrus mac. It is related to papeda and is thought to have come from the Philippines.  I think that FD and Std poncirus are more cold hardy than Mac. I would group it with Carrizo & Troyer as to hardiness. I do not know of anyone that uses it here. From what I know about it (not a lot) it was used for lemon rootstock by some. I grow lemon on its own roots so have not tried it. Perhaps someone that does use it will have more detailed information. I think it is a receptical for tristeza virus.

How about C. Moi? (Penn.)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 09:25:10 PM »
Macrophylla is actually a hybrid that occurred  naturally in both the Cebu Islands, and the Philippines.
I think you will have a difficult time with Macrophylla in Savannah.  Macrophylla is normally used as a root stock for lemons, and seldom grown for the tree itself. The University of California states, trees on Macrophylla have poor freeze tolerance, much worse that that of trees on any other commonly used rootstock.

hear

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 09:25:41 PM »
I think you will have a hard time with Macrophylla in Savannah.  Macrophylla is normally used as a root stock for lemons, and seldom grown for the tree itself. The University of California states, trees on Macrophylla have poor freeze tolerance, much worse that that of trees on any other commonly used rootstock.
Ok, How about macro. in zone 9B. Also Citrus pennivesiculata.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 09:33:14 PM »
Macrophylla, should be OK in 9B.  Could have troubles with rare freak hard cold spells, but this could of course happen anywhere.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
I really do not know much about citrus pennivesiculata.  However, I would think you would have even much more difficulty with it in Savannah than you would with Macrophylla.  Citrus pennivesiculata  is a tropical cultivar normally grown in zone 10.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 09:53:29 PM »
These two cultivars are like antiquities in a sense. They have been used in various places and for the most part unknown for most of citrus producers. There are so much BETTER rootstocks available now. In your zone, (8b) I would go to poncirus for rootstock. It is easy to come by, disease  resistant, cold hardy as rootstock gets and gets along with lots of soil types. It is compatible with most citrus is easy to graft to. Why would you consider these two odd  ones as rootstock?

hear

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 11:34:17 AM »
These two cultivars are like antiquities in a sense. They have been used in various places and for the most part unknown for most of citrus producers. There are so much BETTER rootstocks available now. In your zone, (8b) I would go to poncirus for rootstock. It is easy to come by, disease  resistant, cold hardy as rootstock gets and gets along with lots of soil types. It is compatible with most citrus is easy to graft to. Why would you consider these two odd  ones as rootstock?
Bomand, I don't really wanna use them as rootstock I just like them by themselves.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
I understand. Its what makes the workd go round.....it would be a dull place if we all lik÷d the same thing. Good luck with them.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 02:38:19 PM »
Can this grow in zone 8b Savannah GA?
I don't believe so, but I do not really know.

Not all papeda species are cold hardy.

Edit: This link shows that the freeze tolerance of macrophylla rootstock was poor.
https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/citrus_rootstock/Rootstock_Literature/Univ.%20CA%20CitrusProdManual%20Rootstock%20Chapter%202014.pdf
Definitely not solid proof, but it is certainly an indicator. (You'll notice that sour orange was rated to be better)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:51:04 PM by SoCal2warm »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 10:54:13 AM »
Macrophylla is not hardy at all. I had a variegated Macrophylla that froze @ 28F.