Author Topic: Z40-17 Mango  (Read 6743 times)

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
Z40-17 Mango
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »
Do any of the mango experts have any info they can share about this cultivar?  Picked up a few at the mango festival this weekend and they were AMAZING, best I've has this year.  Now I can't find any info on them.  I'd especially like to know where to get more and/or where to get a tree. Anyone???

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Z40-17 Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:24:38 PM »
whom did you buy it from at the festival?  Was it in the booth run by fairchild farm?  My guess would be you could get budwood from Noris or Richard.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:19:21 AM »
There was a U shaped set up of tables outside. The wings had imported mangoes and the center appeared to have locally grown mangoes. It was from the center I found these. Not sure bud wood would do me much good right now since I don't think I have anything viable to graft it onto ... nor have I had the pleasure to meet these distinguished gentlemen (yet). :(

I'd still love to know the lineage of this variety and if anyone knows where I might be able to get more mangoes or grafted trees.

Anyone? Pretty please???  :)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »
Probably a zill selection that didn't make it to production.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 01:06:47 PM »
I checked ked k y extensive list of Zill projects and do not see that n uhh Myer listed.  Could be that it was eliminated from the overall project,  not written down or it is not of Zill origin at all.  I am checking with the powers that be however you may want to email Richard Campbell to see if he could provide any assistance.
- Rob

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
I checked ked k y extensive list of Zill projects and do not see that n uhh Myer listed.  Could be that it was eliminated from the overall project,  not written down or it is not of Zill origin at all.  I am checking with the powers that be however you may want to email Richard Campbell to see if he could provide any assistance.

Thanks for your efforts. I figured my next move would be reaching out to Fairchild. Had I known this was such an obscure cultivar I wouldn't have bought it ... kinda like test driving a Bentley.   :(

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:00:01 PM »

Thanks for your efforts. I figured my next move would be reaching out to Fairchild. Had I known this was such an obscure cultivar I wouldn't have bought it ... kinda like test driving a Bentley.   :(

I could help you with a Bentley.   That would be much easier...
- Rob

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »
definitely a zill variety.. usda has z40-26 which may be close.

www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1894162

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
Is there any chance the numbering actually said 40-14?   (Pina Colada)

Perhaps you could compare the looks and taste of what you ate with descriptions of PC.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »
definitely a zill variety.. usda has z40-26 which may be close.

www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1894162

This was very helpful as it gave me a direct link to Dr Campbell's email address, thanks for you efforts!

Is there any chance the numbering actually said 40-14?   (Pina Colada)

Perhaps you could compare the looks and taste of what you ate with descriptions of PC.

Wow it'd be great if that were the case ... problem solved!  I know for sure they said 40-17.  Course there's always a chance they were mislabeled, we know how often that happens! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »
Here is a picture of it:

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
Here is a picture of it:

picture speaks for itself, damn good looking mango. Thanks

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »
Here is a picture of it:

That's it! Thanks for posting a pic, what about your opinion on them? Did you also think they were awesome and want to plant a tree immediately ... or is that just me?  ::)

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 10:31:44 AM »
Your not crazy. That little mango packs a punch.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
The plot thickens.  Got a reply from Dr. Campbell.  He says this is the Juliete.  Supposed to be a Gary/Julie cross ... sounds possible.  Did some quick checking and I see the Juliete referred to as the HE-4. I s anyone familiar with the Juliete and/or can shed any light?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »
The plot thickens.  Got a reply from Dr. Campbell.  He says this is the Juliete.  Supposed to be a Gary/Julie cross ... sounds possible.  Did some quick checking and I see the Juliete referred to as the HE-4. I s anyone familiar with the Juliete and/or can shed any light?

Yes, Juliette was known as HE -4 but i am pretty confident (would have to check when I get home tonight) that it was not a cross.  40-17 would be different than Juliette/HE-4 however it is possible that 40-17 was a Julie x Gary cross.  I am still trying to find out any info on 40-17.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
I was told (by Patrick) that "Juliette" was a Gary x Julie cross. Thats why I got it some 2yrs ago. Would be interesting if Z40-17 and HE-4 are the same. Both a detailed review and picture of Juliette fruit are hard to find- trailing behind other Zill creations.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »
I was told (by Patrick) that "Juliette" was a Gary x Julie cross. Thats why I got it some 2yrs ago. Would be interesting if Z40-17 and HE-4 are the same. Both a detailed review and picture of Juliette fruit are hard to find- trailing behind other Zill creations.

Row "40" and row "HE" are different rows.  I will try and see if Gary has a recollection if Juliette was a known or thought cross with Gary however the list that was provided to me does not show it as a cross.
- Rob

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »

Where did you get your Juliette tree? I am very jealous and must have one!   ;D

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »

Depending on where you want to travel, if Mike does not have them, you can call Zills Mangoes and Walter should be able to get one for you.
- Rob

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 12:47:18 PM »

Depending on where you want to travel, if Mike does not have them, you can call Zills Mangoes and Walter should be able to get one for you.

Awesome ... I see a light at the end of this tunnel. I plan to take a ride up to Zills for some mangoes anyway so I'll check with them right away! Thanks!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
Ok, I got the low down on this mango.  It was, as we pretty much determined, part of Gary Zill's breeding program.  It is a Julie x Gary cross.  Gary no longer has this tree as part of his collection.   He eliminated the tree due to its smaller fruit size and poor production,  worse than the Gary mango.  Due to these facts, there was nothing positive enough that ge felt made it worthwhile keeping.  The only trees that are around would be those at tge USDA and possibly part of the Fairchild Collection if Richard Campbell planted one out.
- Rob

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »
Good info. I could deal with a small fruit if the tree was productive. Has anyone tried the Juliette and know the characteristics of the tree?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk