Author Topic: Miewa Kumquat  (Read 4691 times)

karpes

• South Louisiana
    • View Profile
Miewa Kumquat
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »
 I know kumquats bloom later than my other citrus but this one is just now starting to bloom now at the end of June. We did have a late spring this year so I was just wondering if anyone else is seeing late blooming.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Miewa Kumquat
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »
One of my fukushu kumquats has just begun to bloom.  I have five other kumquats, including a Meiwa, that have not bloomed yet.  However, I am much farther north and these are a mix of new trees (as of spring) and ones that were in a greenhouse for the first time over the winter so I am not really sure what to expect yet.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Mine is blooming for the second time.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »
Brian, I see you have your Kumquats growing in Air Root Pruning containers. - Millet

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
Sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone give me a comparison of fukushu vs. meiwa?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:06:54 PM »
Yes, I got a whole roll of the stuff and repotted everything in them.  They really do seem to make a noticeable difference.

plantlover, Fukushu fruit seems to be somewhat more sour and juicy, and meiwas more pulpy and sweet.  I prefer fukushu so far but I've only had one crop of each.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »
Sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone give me a comparison of fukushu vs. meiwa?

Changshou(fukushu) kumquat has a very sweet thick peel but also lots of sour juice. They can also get as big as a satsuma.
Meiwa are almost always sweet and dry. Wait until March and both are the best!  BTW at my old house I had a mature
changshou kumquat whose fruit I used to make the best marmalade from, I appreciated the large fruit for than. At my
new house I planted a nordman seedless kumquat for making marmalade. Also am growing out a real seville orange
from seed for marmalade.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »
All of my kumquats are now pushing out flower buds.   I'm sure your Meiwa will bloom soon enough.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
I was surprised to see Kumquats being sold in clam shells at my local grocery store. The taste is way to tart for me, but my wife absolutely loves them. My first and only casualty with citrus in 3 years has been a Nagami that I lost to WLD. I currently have a young meiwa/nagami 2-n-1 tree.

These kumquats I purchased are definitely not Nagami because they were much sweeter.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »
The only kumquats I've ever seen for sale were Nagamis.  They are very sour and sort of astringent but I love them.  Nobody else I've offered them to seem to like them.  I don't have any true Nagami trees but I have Nordman Seedless which tastes about the same.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
Robby, I have never seen a meiwa/nagami 2-n-1 tree offered for sale.  It would be a neat tree to have. - Millet

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
I purchased that tree from Reid at RSI Growers in Phoenix. He does a real good job and is a wealth of information. He actually told me the tree was barely grafted and too young to sell, but I told him i prefer it that way to transfer it to an air root container with minimal, if any root damage when I bare-rooted. Even though the tree is very young, it flushed all winter in my greenhouse and is flushing still. One of the two is already blooming; unfortunately, i can't tell which side of the tree is the meiwa and which is the nagami.

Best

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »
I have not seen Reid around for a while.  I will have to contact him and order a 2-n-1 Kumquat. - Millet

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »
... unfortunately, i can't tell which side of the tree is the meiwa and which is the nagami.

robby, it seems to me that the meiwa leaves are noticeably smaller overall, and the nagami leaves are longer for a given width.   The difference is slight, though, and it could be just that my meiwa wasn't as healthy when it grew these leaves.

Meiwa:

Nordman Seedless Nagami:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk