Author Topic: first mango this year, yumm  (Read 8482 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
first mango this year, yumm
« on: April 21, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
Enjoyed my first mango of the year, a Rosigold. It looked perfect when I picked it, and I was going to give it to a friend in central FL. But as it ripened it developed a nasty spot near the stem.  So I was forced to cut it open before the icky part spread too far, and share it with my better half, after cutting away the ick. I'm trying to do low-carb till mango season, but I ate the part near the skin.  Very nice. :P

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: first mango this year, yumm
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
Low-carb?? Carbs in fruit are not the problem. The problem is sugar (sweets, drinks, ice cream...), pasta, rice, bread, potatoes..

You will NEVER get fat eating fruit (in natura) and vegetables ;)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »
Enjoyed my first mango of the year, a Rosigold. It looked perfect when I picked it, and I was going to give it to a friend in central FL. But as it ripened it developed a nasty spot near the stem.  So I was forced to cut it open before the icky part spread too far, and share it with my better half, after cutting away the ick. I'm trying to do low-carb till mango season, but I ate the part near the skin.  Very nice. :P

You and SW Rancher get the 2012 First Mangoes of the Year awards. You done good!!

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »

I gain about 10 lbs every mango season :)   Then again, I do eat a whole lot of them   ;D   ......

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »

I gain about 10 lbs every mango season :)   Then again, I do eat a whole lot of them   ;D   ......

Yes fruits have calories, fructose and sucrose can put weight on you, especially if you eat that whole box of mangos!
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »

Yes fruits have calories, fructose and sucrose can put weight on you, especially if you eat that whole box of mangos!
I think that should be, "all the mangoes from that tree".  :) :P
- Rob

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »

Yes, fruits have calories, fructose, sucrose and other carbohidrates, but because the are raw and because of the dietary fiber, you have to digest them first, which takes energy, so at the end you don't have that much calories. Some people call it 'good carbs'.
I have gained fat mass because of fast food and sweets, but never from fruit. During season, fruit can be as much as 60 - 70 % of my diet :)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 08:00:19 AM »

If?  Are you kidding?  You know with this crowd the correct term would have been "when", not "if!"   :)

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »

Some people call it 'good carbs'.

I have gained fat mass because of fast food and sweets, but never from fruit. During season, fruit can be as much as 60 - 70 % of my diet :)

Yeah, I would consider them "good" carbs too.   But when ( :D) one adds 1000+ kcal every day to one's normal diet, you are going to gain weight.

I love mango's.  When I have good ones, I eat a ridiculous amount of them ....

I'm Hungry now  ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:32:51 AM by Sleepdoc »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 01:27:58 AM »

Yes, fruits have calories, fructose, sucrose and other carbohidrates, but because the are raw and because of the dietary fiber, you have to digest them first, which takes energy, so at the end you don't have that much calories. Some people call it 'good carbs'.

Ofcourse eating fruit is better than eating junk food, but fiber in mangos? Not much, it's mostly intravenous liquid sugar! I wish what you are saying would be true, but it's not. Have almost totally fruit diet here year round and you can come and watch me gain weight whenever you want to come take a vacation. HAHA
Oscar

NedNickerson

• Northern Illinois, for now
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 07:56:01 AM »
Has anyone eaten too many mangoes in a day and suffered intestinal fallout?

I think Crafton Cliff mentioned geting mango-rhea from eating Dots.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:18:58 AM »

Not sure if this is peculiar to my digestive tract, but I can pretty much eat non-stop fruit and it doesn't really affect me that way. Maybe there is some point at which even my system would revolt, but so far, I have not identified nor achieved that point of no return.  I continue to push the envelope and will report promptly if I get further data on this subject.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »
Way to go Danno!

(From one Rosie to another  8) )

Wonder who will win the California Kontest
for first mango........Fang

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 06:39:21 PM »
A bigger danger is eating too many sweet fruits and having diabetes, with or without knowing you are diabetic. This happens quite a bit in India, one of the countries with highest percentage of diabetics. They love their sweets, have shops that just sell only sweets. Ofcourse all processed sugar, then they get diabetes, then continue to eat mangos, then very BIG problem.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »

Not sure if this is peculiar to my digestive tract, but I can pretty much eat non-stop fruit and it doesn't really affect me that way. Maybe there is some point at which even my system would revolt, but so far, I have not identified nor achieved that point of no return.  I continue to push the envelope and will report promptly if I get further data on this subject.

Harry
I think the details would be way more info than we need to know...this is turning into a really crappy discussion  ;D >:( :( :o ??? :'(
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »
HAHAHAH That's funny -- 'cause I had a similar situation with the Pina Colada (which is a seedling of the Dot). Those things were so stinkin' sweet that my stomach hurt later on in the evening.

Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:54 PM »
I suppose there are many worse ways of getting digestive issues than eating Dots.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »

I know a person who became allergic to mangos (rash, etc.).  It was tragic because she was a fruit grower and loved mango.  She could eat mango ice cream without the ill effects, but had problems with fresh mangos.  So she tried refrigerating her mangos for a day.  She had her husband peel and cut the mangos and found out she could eat the mangos without ill effects.  I wouldn't try it if someone is severely allergic to mangos, but it might give you ideas for experimentation.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 09:06:59 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:37:26 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 03:22:01 AM »

I know a person who became allergic to mangos (rash, etc.).  It was tragic because she was a fruit grower and loved mango.  She could eat mango ice cream without the ill effects, but had problems with fresh mangos.  So she tried refrigerating her mangos for a day.  She had her husband peel and cut the mangos and found out she could eat the mangos without ill effects.  I wouldn't try it if someone is severely allergic to mangos, but it might give you ideas for experimentation.

I was severely allergic to mangos for many years. Couldn't even work anywhere close to a mango tree. Fortunately i somehow got over it because i've always loved mangos. But i've heard from allergy doctor that getting over allergies like that is pretty rare. Scary thing is anyone can become allergic to mangos at any point in their life. I know because it's already happened to me! Mangos are in poison oak family and this mango allergy is very common.
Oscar